Do you feel these two score highly Oscar worthy?

JoeinAR

Which film will win the Oscar?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be Adventures of Tintin or War Horse?

• Adventures of Tintin
    • War Horse

From everything that I've heard these are not just two good scores, these are two fantastic scores.

It's 1977 all over. One more adventurous, whimisical, and yet dark at times, vs a heartfelt lyrical and action packed score.

I really like both, hope to love both. Tintin is wonderfully jazzy. It evokes memories from many different scores.

I know people like to pick on Kingdom of the Crystal but I think that is a terrific score, much better than the film deserved. I believe that it was better than the two previous scores, the snoozy MoG and the unrememberable Munich.

I think John has shown he still has it, never lost it and is giving us a gift.

Come next year I feel there will be a choice among Oscar voters. Not which of the 5 films scores is most worthy but which of these two films is most worthy?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they did a smart thing by putting in Williams score as the center piece of the first War Horse trailer, it got people truly talking about the music almost before the movie.

Can you pull a score out of the running after it is nominated? If so, I think JW should submit both scores to maximize his chances of being nominated, and then pull Tintin out if they both get nominated. Not because I necessarily think War Horse is the superior score (obviously it's too early to tell), but because War Horse is much more Oscar-friendly.

I've only had chance to listen to the first two War Horse cues, I'm yet to hear the long one, but as of now I'd prefer Tintin to get the awards. It's just so fresh and unlike anything else right now.

Maybe that third WH cue will change my stance.

I couldn't possibly decide. They're polar opposites in almost every single way, except quality-wise.

Happy days for John Williams fans. And yeah, Midway starts shipping this weeks as well!

Karol

It's very early for me to make a judgment as I haven't listened to the available Tintin score in its entirety - just the snippets. But based solely on the War Horse trailers I predict that I will prefer its score over Tintin. War Horse seems to have that grandiose feel, yet understated significance, that Hymn to the Fallen had (except perhaps more successful at it).

It reminds me a little of Apollo 13. I generally haven't loved Williams' scores in this genre - like Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs, Munich, etc. But I have high hopes that this one will be better.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Tintin, but I have no emotional attachment to the characters yet, which I think is important for a score of this type. So I'll have to hear it in the context of the movie.

If Williams is to win, which will depend solely on how many more nominations the score's movie opts for, it safer to predict that it will for War Horse.

Which of course begs the question, who gives a rat's ass about the Oscars when a pair of gems by John Williams is waiting to be absorbed? In fact, who gives a rat's ass about the Oscars outside of the January-March period?

I think Everyone knows by now that the Oscars only award whats popular and appealing to the "new generation". They are in the end a company like any other picture company, run by ratings, you can't really hate them for that and its fair in my opinion.

I Truly think that the real Oscar that should be given to John williams, is as many people finding william's latest work to be awesome and far superior to whats out there. Now that is a true reward. People, not a piece of Gold.

Hasn't Joey bashed the KotCS score constantly for the past 4 years?

Or am I mistaken for someone else?

Jesus, pay attention, I constantly bashed the film. The FILM not the SCORE.

Well, it depends if Williams will submit both scores or only one of them.

I can almost say with a 99% certainty that only 1 will be nominated.

And I think it's gonna be War Horse...

I would certainly see War Horse as the stronger contender for the Oscar because of its subject.

I can't wait to see what the gimmicky score is this year. That'll win

It appears that French film The Artist is a serious contender (it's a silent movie with lots of music). And don't forget Reznor & Ross The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I can't wait to see what the gimmicky score is this year. That'll win

It appears that French film The Artist is a serious contender (it's a silent movie with lots of music). And don't forget Reznor & Ross The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Which means Johnny doesn't stand a chance against such hip and modern stuff that Reznor & Ross are coming up with. Let's face it, orchestral scores with emotional themes are just not in anymore.