listening the OS before watching the movie?

Skystalker

Hey guys,

did anyone of you listen to a Original Soundtrack before watching the movie?

In my case it´s the Adventures of Tintin xD

I pre-ordered the OS and I received it today. noted here in Germany everything is later.

And I know, it´s a shame I didn´t watch the movie yesterday (when it released here) but you know sitting in the cinema, 100 jerking guys around you who laugh at

points which are not supposed to be funny and little kids who scream "Mommy, mommy did you see that cute little dog?". It´s not that kind of fun :-/

I plan to watch "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" (in german: Die Abenteuer von Tim und Struppi: Das Geheimnis der Einhorn) in a week but I cannot wait so long :-D

I remember watching Jurassic Park when I was younger and years after that I came into music and listened the OS from jurassic Park. All the memorys came up and i knew every scene to each track.

Adventures of tintin is a special event for me and I don´t want to ruin it.

please tell me what to do :-)

greets from Germany ;-)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to anything by Williams as soon as I can, so I've heard every OST to a movie he's scored before I saw the movie since about 1999 or so.

I remember in the 90s buying the ID4 and Tommorrow Never Dies OSTs before seeing those movies... and a bunch of other stuff throughout my life too.

Nowadays hardly any good scores are being written so outside of Williams and Giacchino I tend to only buy an OST if I have already heard it, which usually is through the movie.

I own quite a few soundtracks to movies that I've never ever seen, Skystalker.

Generally though if I know I'm going to watch a movie, I usually don't buy the soundtrack in advance. I like to hear it 'in situ' first. One of the exceptions to this was probably Schindler's List back in the 90s. I was riding on the Jurassic Park wave, had loved that soundtrack and bought the Schindler's List CD before I saw the movie itself, which I saw soon after. I may have heard bits and pieces of it somewhere though. I just had a feeling it was going to be a good score by Johnny

Being a rabbid fan of Williams, it would be impossible for me to know his music is available and not listen to it immediately. The movie doesn't get released here in the States until December, so there is no way I could wait 2 months. I have no issue listening to the music first, and it in no way ruins the movie experience for me.

...but you know sitting in the cinema, 100 jerking guys around you...

We're talking abou the same movie about the same unicorn, right?

Tim, who is kidding.

I have hundreds of scores from movies I've never seen. But in the case of a movie I was going to watch in the theatre no matter what, specially if it's a JW score, I like to listen and really know the score before even watching the movie. It makes much more aware of the musical arc, with its dramatic and thematic subtleties. In the case of Tintin, it actually enhanced the movie watching experience.

thanks these are the answers I wanted to hear :-)

I was listening to the Tintin-Samples alle the day, so the OS was a must-have ;-)

But why is the release of tintin only in december? I thought the german-release was late :-P

Tintin (the movie) comes out in Europe in October, so the soundtrack does as well.

It comes out in the US in December, so the soundtrack does as well.

Of course, why would you think a film score requires you to watch the movie? If it's well written it should stand alone.

As Alex North said "People argue that the only good screen music is music the audience is not conscious of hearing. I don't agree. Music has a power emotional influence and should be part of the whole film. After all, music is to be listened to, not ignored."

In most instances when I go to see a John Williams scored film I have listened to the OST album many times and am very familiar with the music. I do not think this is a distraction but helps the immersion as you know part of the film already so to speak and it is somehow familiar if you can read the music's moods and action. Also when I have listened to the OST beforehand in Williams' case I do not have to pay so much attention to the score on its own as I can easily spot which parts of it are on the CD as I would probably focus more on the score if I had not heard the album trying to pick up the music and make mental notes on which theme is for what etc. as I tend to do while watching almost subconsciously.

On the other hand this takes away some of the pristine surprise of the music, discovering it first in the film and then getting the album where you can hear it on its own. But most of the time listening to an album before seeing the film has enhanced my enjoyment of the film.

I do not think I note the edits so much while I am watching the film even though I know the music beforehand. I do note the unreleased music but it is more about registering something I have not heard before. It does not diminish the enjoyment of the film for me.

I also dont like to attach music to scenes seen in trailers to Williams given names.

It disappoints when it does not match..or is tracked...

I mean. I loved TPM score as used in film. Now i despise it.

If i had heard the complete unedited score beforehand, i would have not enjoyed the movie at all.

It's about the music.

Some people have this idea that when I listen to the music of Star Wars, E.T., Indy, etc. (many of my favorite movies as well as scores) that I'm trying to re-live the movies in my head or something. That there's some kind of attachment and I wouldn't enjoy the music if it weren't for the movies. These movies were like a doorway to discovering great music. Most of JW's modern scores I previewed before seeing the movies. In most cases, I enjoy the music more than the movies they were composed for.

In the long run it does not make any difference if you saw the film first or not.

That's certainly true. And like most of us here, I have dozens (make that hundreds) of scores I've never seen the movie to.

But I decide on a case by case basis whether I'll listen to a given score before I watch the movie or not. When I listen to film music, I listen to it for the music. But nevertheless, there's a lot of film music where I'm also interested in the film, and in these cases, I often like to wait and see it first. It doesn't matter in the long run, but the initial impact can be quite strong if you hear the music in context first. I still remember first hearing Shore's theme over FOTR's main titles.

As for Tintin: Got it yesterday, waiting until I've seen the film. What's troubling me is that I still don't have a plan WHEN I'll watch it.

I always listen to the music before the film. With Williams' music, it always getting better with multiple hearings, so

I'm more ready for the film knowing the music better. With these new ones, Tintin and especially War Horse It is going to be

lots of tears in the cinema...

With the really great composers, like Williams, their scores have an innate beauty that's all their own. They were written to service or support a film, but they also half a second life outside the film which can be enjoyed separately. They can create different pictures in your head then they were originally intended to produce.

Tim