Rate "The Adventures of Tintin"!

Josh500

Rate "The Adventures of Tintin"!  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the MOVIE "The Adventures of Tintin"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I haven't seen the movie yet.
  2. 2. How would you rate John Williams's SCORE AS HEARD IN THE MOVIE "The Adventures of Tintin"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I haven't seen the movie yet.
  3. 3. How would you rate the ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM of "The Adventures of Tintin"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star

Okay, you saw it coming a mile away! ;)

Is the movie/the score really as good as people say? Do you agree with the critics? What's your honest opinion?

Most people here--except for the folks in North America--will be seeing this movie in the next few days... How would you rate the MOVIE, the MUSIC AS HEARD IN THE MOVIE, and the ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM?

Those who can't see the movie until December can just rate the OS album and select "I haven't seen the movie yet" in the other two categories, then come December you can change your votes and rate the (music in the) movie well.

3 times 4. Everything is right about all of them. For all people wondering why "only" 4: you need to have some perspective when you put them against Close Encounters, Jaws or Raiders. It's in the Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Empire of the Sun region. Which is very good. Why not lower then? Because it's the most fun Williams-Spielberg collaboration in a long while. Mind you, I'm not saying "the most sophisticated", "ambitious" or "progressive". Fun, light and genuinely entertaining - it's rare enough.

Karol

3 times 4. Everything is right about all of them. For all people wondering why "only" 4: you need to have some perspective when you put them against Close Encounters, Jaws or Raiders. It's in the Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Empire of the Sun region. Which is very good. Why not lower then? Because it's the most fun Williams-Spielberg collaboration in a long while. Mind you, I'm not saying "the most sophisticated", "ambitious" or "progressive". Fun, light and genuinely entertaining stuff all along.

Karol

Hmmm, I understand what you are saying, but that's kind of a bit harsh, don't you think?

So you give Spielberg movies/Williams scores only 5 stars if they are as good as Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, etc.?

I agree Tintin is not as good as these classics, but the score is still 5 stars for me (4,5 for the movie, at least so far; I might change my mind to 5 stars upon seeing it again). ;)

This is not really a rational rating, but rather an emotional one. Therefor I must give it 5 stars in all categories. Wonderful stuff, done in such a pure, uncynical manner that is just intensely likable. Everything is just so likable

This is not really a rational rating, but rather an emotional one. Therefor I must give it 5 stars in all categories. Wonderful stuff, done in such a pure, uncynical manner that is just intensely likable. Everything is just so likable

+1

Hmmm, I understand what you are saying, but that's kind of a bit harsh, don't you think?

So you give Spielberg movies/Williams scores only 5 stars if they are as good as Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, etc.?

I agree Tintin is not as good as these classics, but the score is still 5 stars for me (4,5 for the movie, at least so far; I might change my mind to 5 stars upon seeing it again). ;)

No, it sounds about right. And, as I said, 4 is very good. KOTCS is 2.5, WOTW is 3, Minority Report would be 3.5. to give you some perspective.

Karol

I have an idea this movie has a LOT of rewatch value. I mean, there is so much going on in every scene and every frame... and that's just the visuals. Combined with the music and trying to follow the mystery/story, you're a bit overwhelmed when you see the movie for the first time.

I might enjoy this movie upon subsequent viewings even more!

:thumbup:

Agree.

No, it sounds about right. And, as I said, 4 is very good. KOTCS is 2.5, WOTW is 3, Minority Report would be 3.5. to give you some perspective.

Karol

Fair enough.

Mind you, I'm not saying "the most sophisticated", "ambitious" or "progressive". Fun, light and genuinely entertaining - it's rare enough.

Are you talking about the movie or the score or both combined? If you are talking about the movie, I agree. If you are referring to the score, I think it's most sophisticated, ambitious, and progressive - and genuinely entertaining, as well!

Are you talking about the movie or the score or both combined? If you are talking about the movie, I agree. If you are referring to the score, I think it's most sophisticated, ambitious, and progressive - and genuinely entertaining, as well!

Both. Score is technically impressive and very entertaining, as you say, but progressive? How? It's the first animated film Williams has done, it is very dense thematically. But that isn't all that new. What else, do you think? I'm curious.

When I watch a movie or listen to the music, I tend to separate "how much I enjoy it" from "how relevant it is". There are things I don't enjoy that much (like some avant garde music, for example), but I can appreciate the effort to push an envelope in its field. Is that more clear now?

Karol

Both. Score is technically impressive and very entertaining, as you say, but progressive? How? It's the first animated film Williams has done, it is very dense thematically. But that isn't all that new. What else, do you think? I'm curious.

Karol

Well, I am not saying the the score breaks any new ground to speak of, but it makes use of all the modern orchestral techniques and it feels fresh somehow . . . it doesn't feel like it's been done 100 times before, i.e. it's not John Williams on "autopilot." (although I hate that term) It feels like it's evolved from earlier scores like Raiders, Hook, and Harry Potter, as if JW has built on them to create something quite new.

But anyway, IMO JW doesn't always have to invent a completely new style to be good. This is his style, and it's good as ever, if not even better this time around! ;)

As compared to everything from the past few years, it's an absolute 5 stars.

Karol

Yes indeed.

Now that we have seen the movie, I can't wait for the DVD release. The specials including the JW featurette... :drool:

Wonder whether we will be getting it 2 months ahead of the Americans, as well.

I haven't really posted anything in this sub-forum, but I just came back from the film.

Loved it!! Some minor issues (like the constant swirling cameras, even in the calm moments), but classic Spielberg all around. I'll comment more specifically after I've digested it.

Loved it!! Some minor issues (like the constant swirling cameras, even in the calm moments), but classic Spielberg all around.

Actually, I liked the "swirling" shots! They are only far and few between, and if they happen, they serve a purpose! Besides, it's only Spielberg who can design a continuous shot so fascinating it boggles your mind.

These shots also add to the sense that the whole movie is one crazy rollercoaster ride! :)

One transition shot that stuck in my mind is of Tintin, Haddock, and Snowy rowing the boat . . . and the surface of the ocean suddenly turning into a rain puddle on the street . . .

By the way, question to y'all who have seen the movie: you gonna see it twice in the theater? I probably won't. Those 3D tickets are expensive, man!

Besides, this way I'll look more forward to the DVD release.

Gotta say, ever since seeing the movie the first track has seriously grown on me. Before, it was never one of my favorites, but now I am seriously starting to like it...

I might prefer this more than the CMIYC Main Title (though both are great, of course)! :)

2 out of 5 for the film

3 out of 5 for the OST

3,5 (maybe 4) out of 5 for the music as heard in the film.

OK, people! Time to bash me!

This is the second time you've invited people to bash you... What are you, a masochist..?! ;)

In all fairness, 2 out of 5 for the film..?? I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously.... :o

5 stars!!! Nothing short of absolute brilliance!!!

I haven't watched the film yet....still have to wait for Dec. 21..whooppee :(

- KK

3 times 4. Everything is right about all of them. For all people wondering why "only" 4: you need to have some perspective when you put them against Close Encounters, Jaws or Raiders. It's in the Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Empire of the Sun region. Which is very good. Why not lower then? Because it's the most fun Williams-Spielberg collaboration in a long while. Mind you, I'm not saying "the most sophisticated", "ambitious" or "progressive". Fun, light and genuinely entertaining stuff all along.

Karol

That's the bar that they set themselves and for others, if you use the same bar for all other composers/directors, even though I should add that I think a 5 star collaboration from Williams/Spielberg is on another level still than, say, a 5 star collaboration from Burton/Elfman.

Also, I really don't think Tintin is as good as Jurassic Park or Last Crusade, for that it's not memorable enough. War Horse will be, though.

But Tintin is, IMO, definitely the best output from Williams post 1999 (TPM included), save for one or two Potters.

So, yes, it's a rock solid 4/5.

But Tintin is, IMO, definitely the best output from Williams post 1999 (TPM included)

Come on...

Did you catch the latter part of the sentence, beginning with "save for"?

Risking to slightly overrate things, I'll give a 4.5 to all.

I think the score matches and/or surpasses all of Williams' scores of this millennium except for the Potters. It's completely unoriginal, but aside from that, it's highly enjoyable, and masterfully crafted.

I've rated the movie only 3,5 because I find the images beautiful, the story-telling well done, but I think some traits of humor are not too in the Herge spirit. Moreover, the falcon pursuit sequence is too improbable to my taste. But the overall cinematography is superb, and I especially liked the sand, the fire, the water, the glass and the texture of the clothes, which are fabulous.

I've rated the score as heard in the film 4: I love the main theme with that jazzy touch and the cartoonesque main title sequence, and some other sequences music+images are absolutely superb (the battle). But I hear a lot of other Williams's scores when I hear the score: it makes me think in particular to Indy & The Last Crusade, Indy & The Crystal Skull, and Harry Potter (the philosopher's stone theme).

I've rated the score on the CD 4 as well, for the same reasons as above: the score is very entertaining, but not original.

That being said, to me it's still a very good film music score, and the film is very enjoyable: time goes by without being noticed, and at the end, I wanted the film to continue!

• 1 month later...

Movie: 3.5

It was a very enjoyable ride, but it's far from Spielberg's greatest works. He's done much better stuff in the last few years, let alone his entire career.

Score as heard in the movie: 3.5

Don't have much to say about this category. The raw material was very good of course, but the tracking and overdependence on Tintin's theme lowers this a little.

Score as heard on OST: 4

The highlights of this score are so phenomenal. "Adventures of Tintin" is so far my favorite cue of the year, and certainly one of the best of the 2000s. There's so much in this score that is JW at his absolute best, but there are also sections of the score I haven't warmed up to yet. I have a feeling they will grow on me--JW's work, especially the really dense stuff, usually does--but for now these sections bring it from a 4.5 to a 4.

I put 4 everywhere

Williams can't really score lower than a 4 if you take other composers into account

Compared to Star Wars, Raiders and Harry Potter it's a 3

I've come to think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is equal to the big scores of the late 70's and early 80's

Another thing I've noticed when I saw Tintin is that while the score is mixed loud in general , all the statements of Tintin's Heroic theme have loud sound effects lessening it's impact

I've come to think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is equal to the big scores of the late 70's and early 80's

I'd agree. I'm surprised that people around here aren't very fond of the HP scores. The first one is definitely amongst Williams' most enjoyable. I would argue that the first one is a Williams classic.

Another thing I've noticed when I saw Tintin is that while the score is mixed loud in general , all the statements of Tintin's Heroic theme have loud sound effects lessening it's impact

I thought the music worked brilliantly in film (haven't noticed the sound effects thing). And we definitely get fuller statements of Tintin's theme which is great. I loved the film, the score and the album. I would give 5 stars for all :D

Considering how I only watched the film on Wednesday (opening night), I guess I'm kinda late to the party...

Merry Christmas!

- KK

I have serious problems with the pacing on the album. I put it chronological order and it doesn't seem to improve.

It just changes too quickly for me to fully get into the score. First we have the dark, sleuthing music introducing the main themes in a way that, except for Snowy's, won't be heard again in the score. Then we have a long, European-y accordion-y track which is upbeat and also introduces a new sound to the score. That removes me from the score.

Then I'm back into the score again, thanks to a canonical, traditional adventure sound that goes on for a few tracks -- and then, once you're used to reacting to the themes and you can somehow track their evolution through each iteration, the whole score jumps to a halt for two exceptionally long pirate-y tracks with brand new themes, its own logic and its own sound. It is but a long sequence in the movie -- it takes up the whole middle of the album here. Again, I feel disrupted.

Then there's the two Castafiore tracks with their classical pastiches. I don't dislike them per se - it's just the context. At that point it feels like I've listened to four different scores. The initial themes haven't been heard in about 4 tracks. Then we're back in adventure mode we have so far only heard in two tracks, and with a showstopping cue that comes without any warning.

The rest of the score flows quite well from here on in. But I never quite feel like I'm in the album -- it requires the listener to be changing their "mode" from brooding, to European, to action-y, to pirate-y to classical pastiche. I love me a varied score, mind you. I just miss a reference point, a reference sound, in it to connect with it. I'm still looking for it in Tintin.

BTW, I like Tintin's theme better than Tintin's heroic theme. But they're both fantastic.

It's called TIntin's secondary theme in this thread. The Heroic theme is a vintage Williams melody; the other one suits the character a lot more.

Maybe its the lack of more material?

Maybe. I don't usually think that more music is the answer, but this just seems to start and stop with every track, and not in a good way. I just can't figure out what it sounds like. It definetly plays like to my ears like a compilation of random Williams' strengths.