John Williams concerts in Poole and Bristol

Omen II

Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra will be performing two concerts of John Williams's music next May. The first will be at the Lighthouse in Poole on 5th May 2012 while the second will be at Colston Hall in Bristol a week later with what looks to be an identical programme. Details are at http://www.bsolive.c...oncertid=166696

I know there are a few Brizzle folk posting here that might want a heads up if they do not already know about these concerts. There are at least a couple of less frequently played selections in the programme, namely Olympic Spirit and Angela's Ashes.

:dance:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I didn't know you lived in Dorset, Omen II.

I don't live in Dorset, Melange, although one of my brothers used to, in a converted hen house on a farm ( :nod: ). Just referencing the fact that Poole is in Dorset. I used to live in Devon, mind, so not far off I suppose.

I lived in Bournemouth a while as a child. It was the nicest place I ever lived. Poole was lovely as well, I still have family there. Seriously fuck off expensive though, which is a shame.

The BSO is very capable orchestra, actually.

Oh I didn't know you lived in Dorset, Omen II.

I don't live in Dorset, Melange, although one of my brothers used to, in a converted hen house on a farm ( :nod: ). Just referencing the fact that Poole is in Dorset. I used to live in Devon, mind, so not far off I suppose.

Zider I up, landlord!!! :lol:

• 6 months later...

Geez, is there anywhere on earth they're NOT having a John Williams concert this year?

There better NOT be. Because if there is such a place, they should be terribly ashamed for letting the opporturnity to play some awesome JW music to go by .

Geez, is there anywhere on earth they're NOT having a John Williams concert this year?

There better NOT be. Because if there is such a place, they should terrible ashamed for letting the opporturnity to play some awesome JW music to go by .

Thor is a contrary c*nt if ever there was one!

There better NOT be. Because if there is such a place, they should terrible ashamed for letting the opporturnity to play some awesome JW music to go by .

Thor is a contrary c*nt if ever there was one!

I love you too. ;)

At first I thought Norway didn't have a JW concert this year, but then I remembered the STAR WARS concert in January (which I sadly wasn't able to attend), so that would qualify.

I'm going to the Brizzle one this evening. I've never been to Colston Hall before so hoping to get there in time, depending on good old First Great Western!

If you see a big guy with long hair and a Hulk T-shirt, that'll be me.

Dang, I had already left by the time you posted this Charlie otherwise I would have looked out for you to say hello (thinking about it I should have sent you a PM with my mobile number). Whereabouts were you sitting? I was in the front stalls over towards the right.

Anyway, what did you think of the concert? I enjoyed it and it was especially nice for me the hear a few 'rareties' such as Angela's Ashes and Olympic Spirit, neither of which I had ever seen performed live. Did you notice one of the fourth desk first violinist's strings breaking during Harry Potter? The poor girl had to go off and did not return until the second half. It was a little disconcerting to see the presenter sitting next to the conductor and facing the audience throughout the entire concert; it took me a while before I stopped expecting him to suddenly stand up and start singing!

One other question - what track was the selection from Memoirs of a Geisha? I recognised it but I do not know the score as well as some others in the Williams oeuvre.

I sat in V 17 in the front stalls, so we were probably pretty close.

I really enjoyed it, it was my first experience of film music being played live and the orchestra was really good. I noticed the girl go off but I didn't pick up that she broke a string until my wife told me - I thought she just needed the bathroom or something!

The presenter was ok, but he got a few facts wrong but you're right, it was weird him just sitting there staring.

The Memoirs track was Sayuri's Theme, at least according to the programme. I'm not that familiar with it myself.

One thing that I thought about - during the SW suite, they played the Throne Room coda both on the main title medley and the Throne Room piece - I thought it was normally just played at the end of the Throne Room section to round the whole suite off?

I was in row R but over towards the right-hand side.

The presenter was ok, but he got a few facts wrong but you're right, it was weird him just sitting there staring.

Yes, he seemed to count Star Wars twice when listing Johnny's Oscars and made no mention of Schindler's List at all, as well as claiming that Fiddler On The Roof was in 1961! Still, he was pretty entertaining and did a good job overall, I thought. A few other general observations:

• I recognised the leader, Ruth Rogers, from the wonderful John Wilson Orchestra. I'd wondered which orchestra she belonged to, as I had not seen her in any of the London orchestras with which I am more familiar.
  • Although the brass section flubbed and split a few notes occasionally, I thought the lead trumpeter (Chris Avison) played the solo in JFK so well! Even Tim Morrison messes it up occasionally (see the YouTube clip of the BPO concert in Japan) but he played it very confidently and really nailed it.
  • The programme referred to one or two pieces that were not played; it was the concert version of the main theme from Angela's Ashes, for example, rather than Angela's Prayer while the Harry Potter Suite consisted of just Hedwig's Theme. The celesta player (Alistair Young?) was also excellent in this - not a wrong note that I heard in what is a very tricky sequence.
  • Strangely, the versions of E.T. and Close Encounters were shorter than the usual suites, both missing out significant sections from the middle. I was not too fussed, having heard both in full before, but I guess they needed to ensure that the concert finished on time (as it was, I made the last train back from Temple Meads with only five minutes to spare).
  • I must say that there were some very nice looking young ladies in the BSO cello section - I certainly support their right to bare arms!

:blush:

EDIT: Here is a review of last night's concert from film music writer Michael Beek:

http://michaelbeek.co.uk/2012/05/saturday-night-at-the-movies/

Italy.

Crazy Italians. ;)