Hurrah for Williams!-concert

Joni Wiljami

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this going to be recorded or broadcast? If so I'd suggest getting in some unreleased concert pieces or unreleased film score cues not available on CD! :)

Indeed it would be great ear relaxation. I just love the suite in youtube with narrative.

In my fist post I forget to mention that any music from Tintin or War Horse would be nice, kind

of emphasize this man is still working almost daily basis.

Mayby the concert will come too early to get the sheet music for these new arrivals.

I was sure that if King Mark would see this, his suggestion would be "Fanfare for 10 year old or for Dukakis and record it".

You beat him to it!

;)

Seriously though, it doesn't happen very often that a 'real' JWFan can program this stuff, so if you could sneak a few things - or even a whole lot - in there, that would be great. (Presuming it's going to be recorded in this day and age of course.) Because for the rest, really, I'd mostly look at what I'd like myself (as I don't think there will be all too many Finnish people around here who can actually attend).

But to give a few examples of interesting unreleased music, just off the top of my head:

Unreleased music from film scores that would work in concert:

- Prisoner of Azkaban: loads of stuff, Sirius's Rescue, the extended Werewolf action music, the Double Trouble variations, Double Trouble instrumental, etc.

- Temple of Doom: The Child Returns (Fortune & Glory),

- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Area 51 (The Russians Arrive)

- Memoirs of a Geisha: there's one very noteworthy unreleased cue, but I can't recall it right now-

- War of the Worlds: the film version of Escape from the City (not the edited OST version)

- The Lost World: Broken Glass / Rescuing Sarah & the Raptor Rooftop cue

concert versions:

- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Irina's Theme & Marion's Theme

- The Patriot Theme (Concert Version)

- E.T.: new "Stargazers" concert piece

- Angela's Ashes Suite

- Schindler's List - Remembrances (Concert Version for Orchestra only)

- Suite from Far & Away

- Suite from JFK

Or even:

- Indy's Very First Adventure with Concert Ending

- The Accidental Tourist Theme - Concert Version (a decent version; the Hayman one isn't too good)

- Three Million Light Years on Earth with new concert ending

I'm sure KM'll cover the classical music!

And what about that new Great Performances TV theme?

My childhood dream would be to play Exerpts from CE3K! Does anybody know is there a version without a choir?

And instead of the usual Raiders march I would love to play End Credits suite from TOD. Has anybody heard that live?

Cheers,

Pasi Tiitinen, Hornplayer http://www.tampere.f...ilharmonic.html

Hi Pasi, sounds great! Yes there is a CE3K without choir and TOD is superb live, here's a clip from the Royal Philharmonic rehearsing it in June:

http://soundcloud.com/timburden/ij-and-tod-rpo-rehearsal

Olympic Fanfare and Summon the Heroes would be good choices too. A good arrangement of Lost in Space for full orchestra was performed in Belfast earlier this year, so that would be worth seeking out for an earlier repertoire entry.

Best of luck with the concert!

I'm not sure how this works, but doesn't it need to be published first (by Hal Leonard or any other publisher) to be performed by orchestras? The aforementioned single cues don't match the description.

I remember when the LSO played in Köln last year they wanted to perform Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun, they had to ask John Williams in person, because it wasn't available anywhere else. The same happened when the Knoxville Symphony wanted to do The Reivers Suite three years ago. These pieces had only been conducted by Williams so far, so they weren't openly available for orchestras.

I don't think I have heard anyone performing the End Credits suite from Temple of Doom. I have heard the album version of the Slave Children's Crusade performed by the Helsinki Philharmonics though.

Here are some ideas:

Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick

Angela's Prayer and Theme from Angela's Ashes

Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun (if you have choir)

Themes from Jurassic Park

Hell's Kitchen from Sleepers

Flight to Neverland (or the entire Hook Suite ;) )

End Title from Dracula (or Night Journeys)!

Main Title from The Fury (that'll wake people up!)

A Long Road to Justice and Cinque's theme from Amistad (Trumpet, French horn and flute solos ;) )

Reunion from A.I.

Out to the Sea and Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws

Theme from The Lost World

Sayuri's Theme and Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs of a Geisha

Thank you everyone for your suggestion and ideas, I really appreciate!

TOD is superb live, here's a clip from the Royal Philharmonic rehearsing it in June:

That would be great, I find the usual Raiders march bit boring.

I'm not sure how this works, but doesn't it need to be published first (by Hal Leonard or any other publisher) to be performed by orchestras? The aforementioned single cues don't match the description.

I remember when the LSO played in Köln last year they wanted to perform Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun, they had to ask John Williams in person, because it wasn't available anywhere else. The same happened when the Knoxville Symphony wanted to do The Reivers Suite three years ago. These pieces had only been conducted by Williams so far, so they weren't openly available for orchestras.

I thought this would be the case, we are having a meeting next week to see what we can have.

John Williams should be conducting, so we could play anything. We once had Jerry Goldsmith to come and conduct his own music

but he had to cancel just 2 weeks before due to some illness in his family.

I have heard the album version of the Slave Children's Crusade performed by the Helsinki Philharmonics though.

Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun (if you have choir)

Next week I'm having a gig with Helsinki Philharmonics so I can ask what have played, I think they had last year a big Harry Potter concert.

I think we are not having a choir( The Hymn to the Fallen would be great)

Next week I'm having a gig with Helsinki Philharmonics so I can ask what have played, I think they had last year a big Harry Potter concert.

One of the Helsinki Philharmonics concerts featured Indy's Very First Adventure, Escape from Venice and to my surprise the aforementioned actual film/album version of the Slave Children's Crusade (not the later created concert suite). Those would surely be a change from Raiders March.

The Harry Potter concert had a great selection of music from the first three films.

One of the Helsinki Philharmonics concerts featured Indy's Very First Adventure, Escape from Venice and to my surprise the aforementioned actual film/album version of the Slave Children's Crusade (not the later created concert suite). Those would surely be a change from Raiders March.

The Harry Potter concert had a great selection of music from the first three films.

Oh those are good news. And I think the conductor of our concert studied in Sibelius Academy so he might have

heard these concerts and have some contacts. I'm starting to have back my(lost) enthusiasm, that this will be something special!!

I think you should perform:

The Empire Strikes Back: 12m4 End Credits

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: 12m5 End Credits

Jurassic Park: 5m1 The History Lesson

The Lost World: 4M3-5M1 The Round Up

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 7M5 The Rescue of Sirius

The Adventures of Tintin: 1M21B Old Enemies Meet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this concert is going to happen tomorrow. The program ended up very traditional, which is actually

quite natural for the celebration concert like this. We will play something from all the Academy Award winners, I managed

to "push" both my childhood dreams (Close Encounters and the Cowboys Overture) in the program.

But the main thing is that the concert has been sold out for some time( we have +1800 seats) so I'm sure we are

doing something like this also in the future. And there will be more rare and quieter stuff. And a choir.

It seems that Happy Birthday Variations is available in Hal Leonards Signature Suites.

I didn't find any recording of this piece.

Anyone ever heard this piece in concert? How is it?

It's awesome.

I wouldn't go quite that far myself, but it's a nice curiousa piece with some interesting variations.

I am attending tonight with friends. Can't wait! It has been a while since I heard Williams in concert. :)

What's the programm in detail? Who will conduct?

The concert will be conducted by Arturo Alvarado and performed by the Tampere Filharmonia Orchestra

The Programme:

The Cowboys Overture

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I am not sure if Excerpts is the piece performed since the Finnish info says just Theme from CEO3K. I do hope it is since it is just brilliant)

Theme from Jaws

Theme from Jurassic Park

Raiders March (Indiana Jones)

Hedwig's Theme (Harry Potter)

Flying Theme (E.T.)

Theme from Schindler's List

Star Wars movies suite:

Anakin's Theme

Imperial March

Princess Leia

Main Theme

Are there recordings of it?

Happy Birthday Variations has never been officially released. I think there is only one recording available, recorded live and that is on a bootleg.

Nothing but the hits, huh?

Well I just came back from the concert and it was wonderful, even though it consisted of Williams' greatest hits. :) Quite fitting for a 80th birthday celebration concert really.

Here are my initial thoughts:

The music was performed with gusto and energy, the phrasing and tempi near perfect, the interpretations strong. Finest moments for me were hearing The Cowboys Overture, Excerpts from CEO3K and Themes from Jurassic Park played live for the first time. The repertoire shook the house with classic Williams tunes and I enjoyed every moment of it, as did my friends to most of whom it was their first Williams concert although not their first encounter with Williams' music. The nearly 2 hour concert flew by as the Tampere Filharmonia Orchestra took us on a great cinematic journey that was undeniably focused on Williams' biggest brassy and bold successes but some counterbalance in the programme was provided by the lyrical pieces like Theme from Schindler's List and Leia's Theme and Anakin's Theme.

The orchestra was in excellent form and special thanks has to go to the celesta player, the brass in general and wonderful woodwinds. The young conductor Arturo Alvarado did an enthusiastic job and brought a real sense of energy out of the orchestra throughout. E.g. Raiders March, Imperial March, Cowboys Overture and CEO3K sounded vibrant and full of zest. I have to admit in all fairness that there was some uneven playing from the trumpets and solo horn in places (flubbed notes in solos) but other than that the balancing of the orchestral forces was quite well done. The programme guaranteed a continuous series of spine tingling moments even to a Williams veteran like me and I was impressed by the spirit with which the orchestra could infuse the many times performed and heard classics. There was also a great visualization accompanying the music, done quite subtly with colorful lighting and sparse imagery projected behind the orchestra that set the mood for each individual piece and illustrated the atmosphere of the music or the score in some way.

In short a wonderful night at the movies, courtesy of Tampere Filharmonia and John Williams. :)