The Adventures of Tintin - Complete Cue List and Complete Score Analysis

Jay

I'm sure there is more than it "seems" and that the unreleased music would greatly enhance the score. If you add up all those little bits it seems quite a lot. The OST still feels like an incomplete experience to me. ALL of Williams action/adventure scores are better with the unreleased music, I don't see how this would be different.

PS 29 minutes is a lot for a score that's already short , and in line with the amount of music were missing from some other blockbuster scores. And short cues by Williams (establishing shots, scenery music, transitionnal fanfares) tend to add a lot to the score

Total agreement.

Williams also tends to come up with amazing musical moments in very short cues . Take the Mushroom Cloud in KotCS or the several transitionnal fanfares in RotS and AotC. They add A LOT when added to the OST presentation

Indeed!

Yes of course the score would be a better experience with all the music no doubt, offering even more colour and variety than before but you would think people would have somehow learned to cope with the fact that there is inevitably music missing from the initial OST.

Despite the short running time of many cues, as I said, those short segments tend to run together in JW scores and form longer ones so they usually do not feel like short independent snippets which I find to be a strength of Korngoldian skill, another composer who was careful with the connecting passages of his music, writing them as a continous whole.

I am correct, as the JWfan site founder agrees with me

:lol: Like mindedness of two makes the truth. Especially if the other person is of so respectable character and standing.

But if you ask any JWFan (except perhaps Thor) nearly all would prefer a complete score for JWs scores more than a truncated OST experience. And it is a huge loss, nearly national grievance of global proportions that transitional fanfares, establishing snippets and subtle small comedic accents of JW's music were omitted from the release so we can't hear them. Was that what you wanted to hear KM? ;)

yes

And don't forget "short traveling motifs"

Oh yeah. Those are usually extraordinarily magnificent, e.g. To Austria from TLC.

True. The Indiana Jones styled transitional travelling music for Bagghar was really a delightful surprise when I first heard it, conjuring the globe trotting spirit of the best adventure films.

I've just seen the movie again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the first part of Track 8 isn't the introduction of Haddock. Instead, the track is heard from 0:00-1:17 as "the captain takes the roars". The end of the track is not heard at all, I think.

You're absolutely right that that is how things play out in the final cut of the film, but that is not Williams' original intention. I should have time tomorrow to break it all down

You're absolutely right that that is how things play out in the final cut of the film, but that is not Williams' original intention. I should have time tomorrow to break it all down

Oh, Ok,sorry. I hope you can finish your complete score analysis soon ;)

Anyway, it's rather curious: in two of the tracks the music in the album follows the final version of the film/score, but wasn't intended to be that way (tracks 5 and 8).

Jason you mention that Sakharine's Theme is introduced on track 14 Barnaby Is Shot. Isn't that thematic statement heard on the OST (track 5, 3:21-3:29) the Secondary Mystery Theme just in action mode, faster and more angular than before, Williams dropping some notes to make the Mystery Theme more suitable for action, and not the Sakharine motif heard on Karaboudjan cues? Unless there is some other Sakharine Theme I am not a aware of yet. ;)

Just updated the main posts with better cue titles and corrected track times. All that's left for me to do know is finish explaining what each cue is.

Does anyone recognize the source music playing just before the Rossini piece in the film? I wonder if its original Williams music he wrote as a lead-in to the Cavatina

----

Jason you mention that Sakharine's Theme is introduced on track 14 Barnaby Is Shot. Isn't that thematic statement heard on the OST (track 5, 3:21-3:29) the Secondary Mystery Theme just in action mode, faster and more angular than before, Williams dropping some notes to make the Mystery Theme more suitable for action, and not the Sakharine motif heard on Karaboudjan cues? Unless there is some other Sakharine Theme I am not a aware of yet. ;)

Yes that is of course the Scrolls Theme, I guess I had a brain fart. The performance of the scrolls theme in that cue is very similar to the way Sakharine's Theme is performed in Escape From The Karaboudjan.

Just updated the main posts with better cue titles and corrected track times. All that's left for me to do know is finish explaining what each cue is.

Does anyone recognize the source music playing just before the Rossini piece in the film? I wonder if its original Williams music he wrote as a lead-in to the Cavatina

----

Yes that is of course the Scrolls Theme, I guess I had a brain fart. The performance of the scrolls theme in that cue is very similar to the way Sakharine's Theme is performed in Escape From The Karaboudjan.

Yeah mix ups can happen when dealing with material that is so thematically dense. Brains sometimes just turn off for a moment and you label something quickly as something else. I did that with Tintin Secondary Theme and Haddock's Theme at first in The Pursuit of the Falcon. :P

And darn, I did note in the end credits that 5 pieces of source music not by Williams had been listed but can't remember the piece playing during Ben Salaad's soirée. IMDB has nothing on the soundtrack yet either.

But excellent work with this music thusfar Jason. :)

Oh really? That's interesting about the end credits. Did it give each piece an individual name? I remember the Harry Potter 3 end credits revealed the name of the song the caroler's were singing

And wait, 5 pieces?

We know 2 for sure, "Cavatina - Rossini" and "Presenting Bianca Castafiore". If the 3rd is the Bagghar Source music and the 4th is the music just before the Cavatina... what's the 5th?

Oh really? That's interesting about the end credits. Did it give each piece an individual name? I remember the Harry Potter 3 end credits revealed the name of the song the caroler's were singing

And wait, 5 pieces?

We know 2 for sure, "Cavatina - Rossini" and "Presenting Bianca Castafiore". If the 3rd is the Bagghar Source music and the 4th is the music just before the Cavatina... what's the 5th?

Yes if I remember correctly there were 5. Those you mentioned and some song I believe. Could it be something Haddock is heard singing during the film? Sorry that I can't help with this but I really just glanced over the titles and saw the Rossini and Gounod pieces and did not pay too much mind to the rest. :blush:

That's true, Haddock is heard singing a song on the Karaboudjan just before Tintin climbs into his room - I assume the dropped opening of "Introducing Haddock" containing Haddock's Theme would have played under his singing

Another small observation: The Tintin's Secondary Theme, I think, is introduced on pizzicato double basses and clarinet in the Marlinspike Hall cue (OST track 5 Marlinspike Hall 1:17-1:29) as Tintin sneaks inside the mansion.

Another small observation: The Tintin's Secondary Theme, I think, is introduced on pizzicato double basses and clarinet in the Marlinspike Hall cue (OST track 5 Marlinspike Hall 1:17-1:29) as Tintin sneaks inside the mansion.

Yes, indeed! :thumbup:

03. 1S4B Sur Le Boulevard - 1:34 - Unreleased

The first of several pieces of source music Williams composted for the film, this waltz performed by musette, guitar, piano, violin, and bass plays under the opening scenes on the streets of Tintin’s town. It plays while Tintin gets his likeness painted by Herge and Snowy observes Mr. Silk stealing wallets.

To me, at least the beggining, it sounded more like a tango than a waltz.

• 4 months later...

I think it's the first time he has, unless he did it for Crystal Skull as well

The numbering of this score is REALLY messed up. No reel 3? One cue from reel 2? A reel one that is like an hour long? 5 reels of music for a 6 reel film? I dunno what happened.

In the recording sessions footage "TNT Escape" is in reel 2, and 1M21b is actually 3m21b.

(the reel numbers are on the monitors)

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys !

I'm French so I don't speak English very well but I'm a big big fan of John Williams and Tintin, and I'm looking for some cues from Tintin OST which are not in the official CD...

I'm thinking about "TNT Escape" specially. Do you know where I can listen it please ? Thanks ! :)

Refresh my memory, please.

What cue is "TNT Escape?"

What scene was this piece composed and conducted for?

According to the name of this cue, I think it was in the Karaboudjan. The bad guys use the TNT to open a door and Tintin is trying to escape by the window. You see ?

Sorry, there are no recording sessions files for tintin. and the Oscar promo didnt had this track either.

The only thing would be a DVDrip, with sfx all over it.

But aren't Oscar promos supposed to have excalty what's on the film now?

Yes, but not ALL the music from the film is on the promo. That is to say, all the cues included in the promo are all film versions: the mix, the edits (if any)... are all the same as in the film. Nothing is changed. The cues appear exactly as they do in the film. But promo scores still only includes a selection of cues from the film, not all of them.

I'm not sure if my explanation is clear... Well, fuck you if you don't understand. I'm not gonna explain it twice.

Yup that's about it. Now the Oscar promos can contain a selection from the score or in rarer cases the complete one. But the music is now in the form it is heard in the film, which often means that it is presented with edits and all. Tintin FYC promo contains most of the central cues from the film, many of them same as on the OST, but these are exactly as you heard them in the film, editing, tracking etc. intact.

I don't understand...

Oh if I got an € everytime I heard you say that Boalie. :lol:

I would have exactly 1 €.

Sorry, there are no recording sessions files for tintin. and the Oscar promo didnt had this track either.

The only thing would be a DVDrip, with sfx all over it.

There aren't a lot of sound effects for this cue.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about what might have been written instead of the tracked ending in Capturing the Plane

I think JW was going for a rousing statement of Tintin's Heroic theme because it cuts off as the theme builds up to something. Maybe a statement similar to the Indy theme when he flies off in a plane(like the beginning of ToD)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Jason, I was curious about something?

How come the cue, TNT Escape, is not listed on here?

Also, some of the cue number marks on incorrect.

The cue where Tintin throw the TNT up to the higher deck so he can escape from the room he's in is 1m12 Introducing Haddock

What cue numbers are incorrect?

Oh, okay, so the actual title is Introducing Haddock, rather than "TNT Escape."

Well, as Alexander pointed out, in the recording sessions footage, Introducing Haddock "is in reel 2, and 1M21b is actually 3m21b (the reel numbers are on the monitors)."

The slate numbers changed at some point. We have sheet music for 1m21b that says 1m21b on it in Williams handwriting.

Oh, awesome!

By the way, when are you gonna revisit the analysis you started on Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones?

And War of the Worlds?

Oh, and when will you revisit the analysis on The Adventures of Tintin, and the analysis on War Horse?

When I have time. War Horse is very close to being finished, it'll be first

Cool! :)

I was thinking about what might have been written instead of the tracked ending in Capturing the Plane

I think JW was going for a rousing statement of Tintin's Heroic theme because it cuts off as the theme builds up to something. Maybe a statement similar to the Indy theme when he flies off in a plane(like the beginning of ToD)

I don't think that there was anything.

The film version of Capturing the Plane has left me wondering was the shot of the ship added later which then necessitated the tracking of Sakharine's motif from Escape from Karaboudjan and the original piece just ended with a slightly ominous rumble for the approaching storm clouds.

What will make you take anything not Zelda games and music and Andy Price's Robin Hood related seriously? Honestly BloodBoal. Some decorum and dignity is required to converse of these things. None of that funny business of yours here, thank you.