Movies/projects Williams almost scored

TownerFan

Around this time, Williams bailed on two particularly infamous flops. Michael Cimino's visually staggering HEAVEN'S GATE had Williams attached at one point (and Morricone was also considered for the project), but Williams wisely departed (leaving The Missouri Breaks as his final Western score to date), and Cimino went in a markedly different direction with the young composer David Mansfield, whose folksy score proved to be one of the film's most popular elements; he went on to score three more features for the controversial director.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2007/06_Jun---Timelines_John_Williams_Part_Two.asp

He went through the agent for Williams, according the the book aforementioned; it was his agent who then, not of being asked by Cameron, who gave Horner a copy.

I nail this sucker down one day.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Omen". Donner wanted Williams first, and Williams agreed. It then went to Jerry, back to John, and then Jerry again because of Donner's overall inability to deliver the film on time. If scheduling conflicts and production delays didn't get in the way you may have heard a Williams Omen score.

• 3 years later...

I hate to bump a thread this old but...

Does anybody here know what happened with Tucker: A Man and His Dream? It says on IMDB that there's an "unused John Williams score".

I remember that ordeal. I think it's just an urban legend.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Omen". Donner wanted Williams first, and Williams agreed. It then went to Jerry, back to John, and then Jerry again because of Donner's overall inability to deliver the film on time. If scheduling conflicts and production delays didn't get in the way you may have heard a Williams Omen score.

That happened on SUPERMAN and was the other way around. Goldsmith was the only choice for the OMEN and was offered the job by Fox, not Donner.

Does anybody here know what happened with Tucker: A Man and His Dream? It says on IMDB that there's an "unused John Williams score".

Has anybody ever asked Coppola or Williams himself?

Its not. And Ricard won't take kindly to you saying that, since he is the progenitor of that piece of news!

CAMERON and HORNER had a massive falling out over Aliens, when his score was basically tracked all over the place and cues switched between scenes. There's a pretty frank discussion about it with both of them on the making-of documentary. Anyway, seems they kissed and made up and won't be separating anytime soon.

Although I can't imagine how Horner will be inspired enough to come up with 3 new Avatar scores considering the original film was fairly light on themes. It ain't no Star Wars, that's for sure.

I'm sure Williams was involved in some way at some point but the extent to which he was is definitely up for speculation.

Yeah, I don't believe there is any official information about this. It would be interesting to hear Ricard's take on the story (through his friend), but in the end it's not really an official confirmation. Untill one surfaces, it will all be speculation and heresay.

Yep, he was attached to Mike Nichols' Wolf, I forgot that. The Flinstones should also be right--his name was even in the early teaser posters, if I remember well.

How about The Color Purple?

Apparently he was never set to score it. Quincy Jones was attached to it even before Spielberg came on board, if I remember well (it was said on the DVD featurettes).

OMG you don't have John's rejected score. It's devastating an lovely.

That happened on SUPERMAN and was the other way around. Goldsmith was the only choice for the OMEN and was offered the job by Fox, not Donner.

It happened for Omen first, per Donner. And again on Superman, but in reverse.

Having a hard time remembering since that post was over 3 years ago, but I think it may have been his commentary track on Superman, or one of its featurettes. He basically said that on Omen he wanted Williams, but got Goldsmith for the reasons I mentioned. On Superman, he asked Goldsmith first out of obligation and courtesy to Jerry, though he wanted Williams again from the start, then ended up with Williams for similar scheduling/production reasons.

I could be wrong, but I'm usually pretty careful when I post that type of stuff.

All these directors wanting Williams but feeling like they're settling on Goldsmith. Ungrateful bastards.

Well Donner got lucky in both cases; Goldsmith probably wrote the better OMEN score while Williams probably the better SUPERMAN one.

I'm sure Williams was involved in some way at some point but the extent to which he was is definitely up for speculation.

Yeah, I don't believe there is any official information about this. It would be interesting to hear Ricard's take on the story (through his friend), but in the end it's not really an official confirmation. Untill one surfaces, it will all be speculation and heresay.

Isn't this the story?

You can add Tucker: The Man and His Dream to that list. This was revealed to me by Martin Landau during a party in Hollywood in September 1987 (he was a close friend of my sister's boss, Broadway show producer Mel Howard, and we were celebrating Howard's wife's birthday).

These were more or less his words: "If you like science fiction and film music, you will like John Williams". To which I replied enthusiastically: "Yes, of course!". Then he said: "Well, he is writing the score for my new movie. It's called Tucker". Then I asked him to write down the title of the movie on a paper. He wrote: "Tucker is the name of the film", along with his autograph.

Incidentally, the score to Tucker ended up being composed by my second favorite musician: Joe Jackson.

Was Williams ever considered for Poltergeist?

The rumours have persisted for years that John Williams actually scored Poltergeist while Jerry Goldsmith was just standing around snorting coke and making a bum of himself as Williams was contractually obliged by Universal to score only one film at a time.

No. I doubt JW would seriously considered a Canon production which was a ripoff of Raiders.

KSM is a typical 80's Jerry Goldsmith film. Slightly low-rent, recorded in Europe with a less then reputable orchestra.

JW did walk away from Inchon.

Was Williams ever considered for Poltergeist?

The rumours have persisted for years that John Williams actually scored Poltergeist while Jerry Goldsmith was just standing around snorting coke and making a bum of himself as Williams was contractually obliged by Universal to score only one film at a time.

The truth is that Goldsmith actually scored E.T., while Williams did Poltergeist, but due to contractual obligations, neither was properly credited.

All these directors wanting Williams but feeling like they're settling on Goldsmith. Ungrateful bastards.

Well Donner got lucky in both cases; Goldsmith probably wrote the better OMEN score while Williams probably the better SUPERMAN one.

One wonders how a director who focuses composers to create those two powerhouse scores is later satisfied with Ladyhawke.

• 2 years later...
On 13/11/2011 at 4:58 PM, Ricard said:

You can add Tucker: The Man and His Dream to that list. This was revealed to me by Martin Landau during a party in Hollywood in September 1987 (he was a close friend of my sister's boss, Broadway show producer Mel Howard, and we were celebrating Howard's wife's birthday).

These were more or less his words: "If you like science fiction and film music, you will like John Williams". To which I replied enthusiastically: "Yes, of course!". Then he said: "Well, he is writing the score for my new movie. It's called Tucker". Then I asked him to write down the title of the movie on a paper. He wrote: "Tucker is the name of the film", along with his autograph.

Incidentally, the score to Tucker ended up being composed by my second favorite musician: Joe Jackson.

It's different, for girls ;)

One question: is she really going out with him?

Landau was good in INTERSECTION.

Not sure it was mentioned before, but Williams was attached to the disaster film Meteor. When he wasn't able to do it, he suggested Lawrence Rosenthal for the project, who went to write the score.

We had a thread a while back about the first Mission Impossible, thanks to a nugget @Maestro dug up:

On 8/7/2015 at 8:15 AM, Maestro said:

Just to clarify and verify, in an interview I conducted with Paul Hirsch last October, Hirsch said this:

"[Williams] was approached about doing Mission: Impossible, and he said, 'Would you mind if I changed the theme?' And they said, 'Oh no, no, no, you can't change the theme.' And he said, 'Well, never mind.' But I thought, you know, hey, if John Williams wants to change the theme, I would be very interested to know what he would have come up with."

...which almost makes it sound like it was a deal-breaker for the studio and not necessarily De Palma. But who knows!

Meteor was mentioned in the first post of this same thread, which in turn refers to this one:

Around 1980 I remember a couple of JW filmographies that mentioned Meteor. I was looking forward to listening to that score until I found out the truth via the film's poster.

It is so crazy to think JW might have scored Alien (1979) because that score was so owned by JG.  Imagine what a JW alien would have sounded like.  I still think it would have been great sort of like only the first half of CEOTK but fascinating to imagine. 

10 hours ago, karelm said:

It is so crazy to think JW might have scored Alien (1979) because that score was so owned by JG.  Imagine what a JW alien would have sounded like.  I still think it would have been great sort of like only the first half of CEOTK but fascinating to imagine. 

Actually this was Howard Blake's movie (Scott's prior composer) but Fox nixed him at some point and installed Goldsmith (probably because his close association with them and to the genre).

Bridge of Spies certainly counts; He was announced, it was on his official resume at his Agency's website, and he only lost the job because he needed pacemaker surgery.

Ready Player One counts too, because he was announced at one point before The Papers came along and changed everything

But he never wrote a note for either, of course.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Actually this was Howard Blake's movie (Scott's prior composer) but Fox nixed him at some point and installed Goldsmith (probably because his close association with them and to the genre).

There was some interview circa 1978 where JW said he's scheduled to do Alien when talking about some of his upcoming projects. 

Ok, I re-read the interview and what he said was: "Steven Spielberg wants to do a musical called '1941', and start doing some work on it this year.  I don't know exactly what he's got in mind, or even whether I can even do it, but we shall see.  Early next year I may also do a project called 'Alien', directed by Ridley Scott.  So there's plenty to do."

It's a great interview spanning his early life, concert music, process, etc.  He even talks about his Symphony saying it is similar stylistically to his violin concerto but has some flaws.  The Violin Concerto "is the best music I've written". 

http://www.jw-collection.de/misc/interview/elley.htm