The 'Hollywood Sound' Thread

petertos

I have noticed that many of us are composers of our own original music. This topic is for you.

There are currently some recorded VST orchestras on the market to use for creating music. One of them is the East West Orchestra, and they claim to have that 'Hollywood Sound'. This sound, which is in my opinion the current 'Hollywood sound', with an epic aura and modulated instruments (especially brass). Well.

The fact is that the current 'Hollywood sound' is not 'JW sound', in my opinion. JW likes to use a more Vienna orchestra with a more european approach. This is due that probably he started creating music for films when the current 'Hollywood sound' wasn't like this one.

Do you have any opinion on this? Have you tried the East West orchestra and do you have any opinions? What is better, the current 'Hollywood sound' or the 'JW sound' (in case they are different). In my opinion I prefer the 'JW sound' or a more european approach (perhaps a little older) to orchestral music.

I hope you like this topic and most important, have an opinion on it. :)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can compare the EW sounds here http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra (look for DEMOS tab) and the JW music you love. Is it the same? Is it better? Is it worse?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't the luxury of using East West Samples yet, so I can't relate. I myself use the Notion 3 notation program which uses recorded samples from the London Symphony Orchestra. Although when I compose something (especially the intense action material), I have to insert every note one by one. It's laborious, but it suffices (that and I'm not rich enough for EWQL samples yet). And you do bring an interesting point about the modern Hollywood sound. But when you're emulating JW on samples, you're obviously not going to get the same effect. For me, the samples suffice for my compositions until I can get a real recording for them. Its just a temporary compromise.

Hopefully some of that made sense.

- KK

The fact is that the current 'Hollywood sound' is not 'JW sound', in my opinion. JW likes to use a more Vienna orchestra with a more european approach. This is due that probably he started creating music for films when the current 'Hollywood sound' wasn't like this one.

Dude!

You may be onto something ... we must tell others!