What is John Williams's 'smallest' score?

Hlao-roo

In the sense that Rosza's Ben Hur, Debney's Cutthroat Island or Horner's Willow are 'BIG' scores and Williams' Stanley And Iris or Horner's The Spitfire Grill are 'small' scores, what is Williams' smallest score..?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just feels very small and intimate, especially being diegetic.

Hmmm, I haven't listened to this score, so I can't say one way or the other... :P

It just occurred to me, Schindler's List has no brass section at all, does it? So in terms of orchestra, it's quite a small score... and yet, in terms of impact, it was HUGE!

Schindler's List definitely have brass. It does not feature trumpets however, a choice JW often makes when scoring dramas (Angela's Ashes, Munich).

As for JW's smallest score, I think Missouri Breaks and Conrack are probably the ones.

Schindler's List definitely have brass. It does not feature trumpets however, a choice JW often makes when scoring dramas (Angela's Ashes, Munich).

I just couldn't think of any "brassy" section off the top of my head... where do we hear trombones or the tuba?

The horn we hear at the beginning of Schindler's Workforce, yes. But other than that...?

On Schindler's List JW uses horns mostly to double strings and woodwinds, or to sustain/enrich the harmonies. They're never used in fanfare-like fashion because, well, the film doesn't need that. A few cues feature also parts for trumpets and trombones.

But there are brass all over the score.

Long Goodbye. I think that one beats all others.

Really? I think there are quite a few instruments used in that, as the theme is performed by various ensembles of various sizes.

Again a topic that suffers from not being specific enough. What is 'small', anyway? Number of instruments used?

In the sense that Rosza's Ben Hur, Debney's Cutthroat Island or Horner's Willow are 'BIG' scores and Williams' Stanley And Iris or Horner's The Spitfire Grill are 'small' scores, what is Williams' smallest score..?

So somewhat of a subjective idea, then. Seems to be more a difference between 'bombasticism' and 'softspoken drama' in your sense. But that means you can have huge orchestral forces for softspoken dramas (LEGENDS OF THE FALL) as well as a minimum of instruments for big, fat, bombastic sounds (TRON LEGACY).

Really? I think there are quite a few instruments used in that, as the theme is performed by various ensembles of various sizes.

There are, and there's also some incidental music heard at the end of the film. Remember that "Hooray For Hollywood" was niether scored, nor adapted by J.W.

If you ,mean small "physically", then Miguel's right; it would be "The Missouri Breaks". If you mean "emotionally", then it's either "The Accidental Tourist", "Pete 'N' Tillie", "Conrack","Cinderella Liberty",or "Stanley And Iris". I'd go with "Pete 'N' Tillie".

I know it is not as score as such, but "Cantina Band" only had 4 players.

E.T.'s suggestion of the Ladd Company logo, is interesting. Does anyone know exactly what it was scored for?

There are, and there's also some incidental music heard at the end of the film. Remember that "Hooray For Hollywood" was niether scored, nor adapted by J.W.

If you ,mean small "physically", then Miguel's right; it would be "The Missouri Breaks". If you mean "emotionally", then it's either "The Accidental Tourist", "Pete 'N' Tillie", "Conrack","Cinderella Liberty",or "Stanley And Iris". I'd go with "Pete 'N' Tillie".

E.T.'s suggestion of the Ladd Company logo, is interesting. Does anyone know exactly what it was scored for?

For the Ladd company.

Actually, in The Long Goodbye there are some parts that use less than the 12 players in The Missouri Breaks. And the incidental cue in the end of The Long Goodbye sounds "small"...

Emotionally wise, there are parts of Cinderella Liberty that don't sound that small, at least for me. In that respect, I would go with the wonderful scores for Martin Ritt or then Accidental Tourist.

Even when working with a small ensemble Williams never really sounds "small".

I never get the feeling there's anything missing. Even with a 4 player piece like Air and Simple Gifts. The way he layers instruments, it just always sounds full-bodied.

I never get the feeling there's anything missing. Even with a 4 player piece like Air and Simple Gifts. The way he layers instruments, it just always sounds full-bodied.

Yeah, or his great Devil's Dance arrangment for violin and piano only.

Yeah, or his great Devil's Dance arrangment for violin and piano only.

Also his recent La Jolla Quartet is a great example.