Budget Varese Sarabande CDs at Family Dollar stores

thx99

Many have probably seen this thread over at the FSM board but just in case you haven't, Family Dollar stores in the US are carrying quite a few Varese Sarabande CDs for $4 apiece.

Regarding Williams titles, the reissue of The Missouri Breaks and the 2-CD/Debney re-recording of Superman (in a single-width jewel case) are among the CDs being found. I bought both of them this morning, in fact, in a store in Woodbridge, VA, along with a handful of other titles.

Happy hunting!

I bought the Varese edition of The Missouri Breaks online for 1.99 about a month ago. It's a great score for a bargain price - definitely pick it up if you see it in this store sale.

I drove around for three hours tonight and hit maybe four or five stores, and not one had a single soundtrack. If any Family Dollar store had CDs, it was all R&B and hip-hop. Apparently I didn't drive far enough to get out of those neighborhoods. Oh well. It wasn't worth the gas I wasted.

What a difference a day makes!

After driving all around Pittsburgh on Thursday evening without any luck -- some FD's had only R&B type music, while others had zero CDs of any kind -- I struck gold on Friday.

I left Pittsburgh by 5:30 and had to be in Indiana, PA -- about 1.5 hours away -- by 8 for a show. Ok, plenty of time to hit an FD or two, right?

Barely.

I turn on the GPS and plot a course to the nearest FD, and being two miles away, it looks like one that I hadn't been to on Thursday. A place called New Kensington. Perfect.

It looks like a big store, and the DVDs are right beside the checkout counter. Above them, the CDs. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Mariah Carey. Simon and Garfunkel.

And more Varese Sarabande albums in one location than any place I ever imagined.

So as to not block the checkout aisle, I actually moved all three cardboard display cases' worth of soundtracks to an adjacent shelf. The total selection, before I divided and conquered, was at least 80 pieces, with very few duplicates.

I used my cell phone to take photos of the total pile and the intermediate pile before I made my final selection, but they came out blurry. I haven't decided whether I will post them.

I came home with:

Bacalov, Luis: Sea of Dreams

Badalamenti: 44 Inch Chest (that's 111.76 cm for you non-Americans)

Beltrami: Hellboy, Live Free or Die Hard

Bernstein: Stripes

Boswell, Simon: Tin Man

Buffett, Jimmy: Rancho Deluxe (Jimmy Buffett, are you kidding me????)

Clinton, George S.: Bury My Heart at Wounded Kneww

Debney: Meet Dave, Zathura

Edelman: Balls of Fury, The Ten Commandments

Elfman: Standard Operating Procedure

Giacchino: Alias Season 2, Mi-III, Land of the Lost

HGW: Shrek the Third

Horner: All the King's Men

Newman, Thomas: The Good German

Powell: Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, X-Men The Last Stand

Rabin: Get Smart

Schifrin: Rush Hour 3

Shore/Young: The Fly I and II

Siliotto, Carlo: Nomad The Warrior

Silvestri: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, Identity

Zimmer: Frost/Nixon

and of course

Simon and Garfunkel: Live from NYC, 1967

Most of those are blind buys, either because I like the composer or the album looked intriguing. The only films on that list that I've seen are X-Men 3, Hellboy, both Fly movies, and Night at the Museum 2, and I don't remember their music that well.

For anyone keeping score, yes, that consists of 28 soundtracks at $4 per and one rock album at $6. You do the math. That's still a steal, because my latest order of new stuff -- Intrada's two, LLR's four, Conan the Destroyer, and Forever Young -- cost far more for far fewer albums. I bought almost a third of the soundtracks they had, and easily put back many more that I had been tempted to buy, mainly some more Debney, Doyle, and some others I've never heard of. I thought I had picked up a Spanish-sounding score, but oh well. If I don't like what I got, I can unload them easily.

Out of the good ones (IMHO) that I picked up, there were no duplicates, or I would have nabbed them for trades. They did have multiple copies of The Other Bolyen Girl, Horton, Shrek 3, and X-Men 3. I did pass up both of Debney's Almighty scores, as well as the single-disc The Matrix score and Star Trek Nemesis SACD.

Funny moment was when a little old lady started inspecting my stacks of CDs on the beside shelf, asking if there were any Christmas albums. And a guy at checkout asked if it was movie night, and his wife pointed out they were CDs. I had to point out they were basically CDs of background music, which got an...oh.

Infuriating moment was that I probably spent twenty minutes getting over my panicked euphoria at finally finding a site with VS albums, organizing the pile, and whittling down to what I wanted. The checkout lady -- the only one with an active register -- insisted on taking customers with smaller amounts of food or drink in front of me, since my pile of almost 30 albums was causing hiccups with the register. I kept my calm because I didn't want to make a scene -- I felt significantly outnumbered in the store in case I had to leave without the few gems in the pile -- but it was very rude and I felt like a less important customer than someone buying pop or cookies. By the time the manager came to open the other register, he even asked her why she didn't just ring up one item and multiply it by 28 for all the same price. You'd think people would have known that.

When I was finally on the road, taking a two lane briskly to meet my deadline, I came upon another FD sitting on the main drag. I screamed for about ten seconds and kept on driving. I was late, and had spent enough.

After seeing this I stopped at a FD on my way home, and...nothing. Not to be defeated, I went to another one and found the Varese collection there. It wasn't as big as the ones in photos here, but I did manage to pick up the scores to Live Free or Die Hard, Mission Impossible 3, Land of the Lost, and Shrek Forever After. None of these were anything I had dreamed of, but for $4 I couldn't pass them up.

I stopped at another FD afterwards, but nothing there either.

I visited another FD today and found a lesser VS display than I mentioned a few posts ago. Most were ones I had already bought or put back, so I walked out with only John Powell's United 93. And a bag of Swedish fish and sour patch kids, but they didn't make it home. Four hour night classes blow.

• 7 years later...

I was in Grand Rapids, Mi to attend a L2P concert of Pirates of the Caribbean with the Grand Rapids Symphony and to pass the time, I checked out this Family Dollar store on Michigan Ave, off of Fuller Street, just for the hell of it.  As luck would have it, there were a few of those Varese CDs left...for $3.00, this time.

The titles I saw were:

Shrek the Third

The Kingdom

As You Like It

Lions for Lambs

Evan Almighty

The one I bought was Live Free or Die Hard and I saw only one copy

23 hours ago, SyncMan said:

The titles I saw were:

Shrek the Third

The Kingdom

As You Like It

Lions for Lambs

Evan Almighty

The one I bought was Live Free or Die Hard and I saw only one copy

You should have bought either THE KINGDOM or AS YOU LIKE IT. Much better than LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD.