• Announcements

• Jay

PLEASE DONATE to JWFAN if you can!   08/16/16

Hello JWFan members,   The team behind JWFan needs your help!   We need annual donations to keep our community running   This is for the domain name, IPBoard license, and server space.   We hope you can help use with a donation of any size.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage. Thank you!   The Administration team
Jay

John Carter (Of Mars) directed by Andrew Stanton, music by Michael Giacchino

451 posts in this topic

Ugh.

John Carter is just a name. John Carter of Mars promises fantasy and adventure. I don't know what they are thinking.

Unless they are going with "John Carter and XXX", formula, but I doubt it.

Maybe if the spiders from Mars wouldn't get all ziggy about it whenever someone tries to use that vibe, this wouldn't be a problem.

John Carter of Mars Teaser Trailer:

Looks cool, even though the first thing that came to my mind was Masters of the Universe. This film will be scored by Giacchino or am I remembering wrong?

Looks dreadful, only slightly better then the new Conan film.

The fact is that the Fantasy genre is becoming more and more tiring and dejà-vu, so it's hard to get excited by a trailer.

However, this film has Pixar folks behind it, so there's potential for something good. At least I hope so.

Looks dreadful, only slightly better then the new Conan film.

It won't be scored by Jablonsky or Djawadi. That's virtually unheard of these days, for this kind of a movie.

Karol

Looks way better than Conan. I like it, but I'm not enthusiastic yet. I hope the film itself changes my mind.

I'm not much familiar with the character but I do follow Stanton's films so I'll see it.

I like the shot of Mars' moons at 1:16.

Oh, it's an arena scene then?

I thought he's dragging something (that is off-screen) to have a better look at this banner behind.

Karol

Looks like AOTC arena scene.

The problem with adapting John Carter is that, despite being the originator of lots of imitated ideas, now it could seem unoriginal and that is ripping lots of stuff from other works. Case in point.

An effect also possibly influenced by being packaged like other Disney products like Pirates of the Caribbean. No room for certain things, like nude humanoid aliens, or such humanoid aliens laying eggs, or whatever.

And here is John Carter Of Jupiter second trailer:

<object id="vid_20cfd91de975660f9035e9572a31b030" class="ign-videoplayer" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="270" width="480"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/11/30/john-carter-trailer"></object><div style="width:480px"></div><br>

The official website has been updated, by the way.

As a trailer is less accomplished than the first one. Most people won't know what the hell they just saw in the trailer.

As for the film: the green martians look cool. I like the Return of the Jedi-like tecnology, and the character jumping around. I also like they use the XIXth century setting and the use of liight in several shots mainly from the previous trailer.

However, the princess character is bugging me, as is Mark Strong with glowing eyes and it might look too much like photoshopped Utah at times. The now dull title is also something to dislike.

It's a subgenre deader than disco.

The funny side of things is, we get a John Carter film. But don't think about getting a Red Mars film.

I still have hope because of Stanton and Giacchino. It's a mass marketed film, resorting to Led Zeppelin for a space epic. Although it did get a bit interesting when it got orchestral/choral. Wonder who did that arrangement.

I think it will be a good film.

As for the score, I'm really curious at how it will be like. That happens to me with very few composers nowadays.

It's interesting we're seeing live-action movies coming from Pixar alumni. Brad Bird and Andrew Stanton have both proved themselves to be fantastic at directing in animation, may they prove as successful in live-action.

You do? No wonder you and I never agree, Chaac.

There are several things I tend to see differently to other people.

I appreciate how the designs of the creatures reflects the madness that the film appears to be.

The mounts in the banner correspond to an Earthly niche I always liked. It looks like an alien version of a big Permian animal, like a pareiasaur or some therapsid. The six legs are innecesary, but it was already like that in the novel. The eyes are located exactly where it would be odd to us. However the long tail departs from what's usual in the Earth animals that seem to be the model, plus making it flat adds to the weirdness. I also like how the green Martian uses two arms for riding while he can use the other two for fighting.

The small creature at the side of the mounts is hilarious. It's also like a crazy therapsid, most people will see it like a reptilian dog. It can keep its mouth shut and seem normal and with puppy eyes, but then it opens it and you see it's an enormous mouth with shark-like theeth. The stupidly big head is only there to support the large mouth!

As for the big white things, they look like something that would eat plants in outrageous quantities, but at the same time they're blind, as if such a big creature lived underground. I like the crazyness of it.

Bonus: this is rightly set at the end of the XIXth century, where stuff like this was starting to get thought and written. The moons in the sky look nothing like the actual Phobos and Deimos. It would be fitting if they put something like Lowell's canals in the film. This stuff makes it easier to accept what's being seen on screen. In the end this is something from a different era, where other worlds weren'r ironically, so alien to us. Which is probably why it looks retarded to a lot of people.

The video is upside down...

Oh look Dan Wallin! I so wish Michael would pull a Trump, and on upside down camera go "You're fired!"

This score will suck, if nothing else because Wallin will see to it any epic sound is muffled behind three or four walls.

By that reasoning almost all Giacchino's scores should suck.

And they do, but only on sound department. (Many sound decent enough though)

I found these pics and videos on Twitter from the John Carter scoring sessions:

I found a picture that shows some cue titles and some slate numbers.