Brass in Tintin, Indiana Jones KOTS

lostinspace

Is it just me or do you hear the difference in the LSO brass and the Hollywood Studio Orchestra (or contract players). By difference I mean the London players play with better pitch.

To see what I mean compare the brass in ROTS Enter Lord Vader to say, Tintin Pursuit of Falcon round 2:30 mark or Escape from Karaboudjian 2:06

Williams says the US orchestras are as good as the European's. Technically this may be true but I think London Symphony etc play more musically and less mechanically. By this I mean their intonation or playing as an ensemble is better and they produce a richer less edgy sound. I'm not denegrating the LA players but I cannot imagine ROTS performed by Hollywood studio - maybe it has something to do with the dry acoustics on the Sony Scoring Stage aswell compared with Abbey Road. They did a good job on War Horse but I still find the Hollywood Sound more clean, clear and processed. Pity they did not keep Todd AO recording stage as the scores recorded there benefit from the buildings more wet acoustic.

I would have love to heard Williams record on Todd AO or other scoring stages but I guess the downside is it might sound really muddy with all the complex way Williams writes with, in particular his Action cues. Imagine hearing Tintin performed in Abbey Road!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest difference is in tone quality and sycronization. Like in the clip you mentioned, the trumpets are dragging a little. We barely get that at all with the LSO (I can't think of a modern example of a section of the LSO out of time).

Still, the differences are not very extreme, and both orchestras are great.

Indeed....but I think the difference is purely down to the almost infallibility of the LSO....on any day of the week, and twice on sundays, they are probably the best orchestra in the world.

Kingdom of the Sith...

Really, the Hollywood orchestra performance of the KOTS raiders march is prety close if not almost equal to the LOST Raiders' raiders march.

LOST Raiders raiders march?

Kingdom of the Sith...

Really, the Hollywood orchestra performance of the KOTS raiders march is prety close if not almost equal to the LOST Raiders' raiders march.

LOST Raiders raiders march?

I just saw that and thought, did i wrote that?

Brainfart i suppose...

sorry i meant KOTCS kingdom of the crystal skull :)

Indy4 you nailed it on the head , and I think the result of them dragging is less tight ensemble. Then again, not every orchestra in the world had a Maurice Murphy! The other thing I think about the LA players is many of the brass players come from a jazz background - maybe this gives the brass a bit more edgyness.

Hi

BBC tv is about to launch a new, three part adaptation of the novel Great Expectations in the next few days here and over Christmas the trailer for the serial has played. As I watched said trailer last night I immediately recognised that is has been tracked with Carol of the Bells by the Maestro. Very pleasing, of course, but unlikely that many viewers will recognise it as such. I should get out more, probably.

James

Well, the players of both orchestras are brilliant. Usually I like a real orchestras, they are used to play together

mostly very demanding repertoire in the classical world. I have one exception, Indy 2 sounds better than Indy 1.

It can also have something to do with recording.

• 2 weeks later...

I frequently record at SONY and know most of the A list brass players here in LA. I think some of the guys Williams uses now are "old school" - in the last quarter of their career. They are mostly retired except for special occasions.

In terms of performance, I think the brass sounds mostly fine in Williams' latest scores, but there's a weird, artifact-y edge to the sound in certain parts of both War Horse and Tintin, especially with some of the big fortissimo horn soli. I'll dig up some actual track times one of these days, but it's really unfortunate. It weakens some of these scores' most powerful moments. Almost sounds like bad mp3 compression.

As I noted in the War Horse FYC thread, I think they used a bit too much artificial reverb and too much compression on the War Horse OST. The FYC album sounds more natural and organic to my ears (as it was mastered directly from the actual recording sessions tapes, I guess).

In terms of performance, I think the brass sounds mostly fine in Williams' latest scores, but there's a weird, artifact-y edge to the sound in certain parts of both War Horse and Tintin, especially with some of the big fortissimo horn soli. I'll dig up some actual track times one of these days, but it's really unfortunate. It weakens some of these scores' most powerful moments. Almost sounds like bad mp3 compression.

Exactly what I was getting at. The brass sound edgy and harsh as opposed to being mellow. Parts of Tintin have so much artificial reverb added; would have sounded way better recorded in an actual concert hall close miked.

Tintin is the big offender when it comes to reverb, IMO.

Does Snowy's there have a ridiculous ammount of reverb?

I mentioned something to the effect, saying that it almost sounded as if it had been recorded in a different booth/sessions...

And i was labeled as mad/deaf...

I must say, I listened to Tintin again last night and while the trumpet section is not bad, it is probably the worst one Wiliams has worked with in the 2000s. Listen at 5:42 of "Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure." Trumpets hit the big impact moment way late. It really mitigates the effect.

I.... disagree. And think you're all being posh snobs, essentially comparing apple-shaped diamonds with orange-shaped diamonds. They're both fantastic in the end, and we're lucky the world still has orchestras.

I.... disagree. And think you're all being posh snobs, essentially comparing apple-shaped diamonds with orange-shaped diamonds. They're both fantastic in the end, and we're lucky the world still has orchestras.

Each to there own. In fact your absolutely correct 99.9999% of the populus couldn't care less. But thats just agree that had Williams recorded with LSO it would have sounded even better?!