Favorite Williams ST with big-time celebrity guest(s)

Figo

Favorite Williams ST with big-time celebrity guest artist(s)  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• "Sugarland Express," Toots Theilemans
    • "Born on the Fourth of July," Tim Morrison
    • "Far and Away," The Chieftains
    • "Schindler's List," Itzhak Perlman
    • "Seven Years in Tibet," Yo-Yo Ma
    • "Stepmom," Christopher Parkening
    • "The Patriot," Mark O'Connor
    • "A.I.," Barbara Bonney
    • Other (please elaborate)

Although the practice extends back to at least 1974, when Toots Theilemans recorded the harmonica solos for "Sugarland Express," more and more frequently, it seems to be the case that Williams is inviting celebrity guest artists to take part in his scores. Which guest(s), to you personally, makes the strongest contribution to a Williams soundtrack? I don't mean which score is your favorite; I mean which partnership works best?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote went to other for the fabulous score to "Monsignor" featuring the great Trumpeter, Maurice Murphy. Murphy was 1st Trumpet with the LSO for about 22 years, if memory serves, and his work on just shines through.

PS: I was going to vote for "Yes, Giorgio" featuring Luciano Pavarotti, but seeing as Micheal Small wrote the bulk of the score... I thought better.

Nothing beats Schindler's List. Perlman's playing is perfection, he really brings the emotion out.

Thoots Thielemans, not Theilemans  :), is the best...

Then take it up with Sony Classical. I spelled it the way you did, but upon consulting the liner notes for their release "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration," I noticed that they had transposed the "i" and the "e" -- therefore, so did I. I'm speaking of the body of the text, not the performance credits. Silly me, for trusting Sony AGAIN.

And by the way, it's "Toots," not "Thoots." :) Smartass.

I voted for Born on the Fourth of July. I really like the way Williams writes for Tim Morrison. :) The first time I heard it, I hadn't started collecting soundtracks yet, but went out the next day and bought it because the music was just so beautiful.

I voted for Bonney,AGAIN.I don't consider Tim Morrison a "guest" celebrity,but more a regular collaborator.

K.M.Who notices Hla-Roo hasn't voted yet.

It's Itzhak Perlman for me. Some of the most beautiful and emotional sounds I've ever heard come out of a musical instrument came through his hands on Schindler's List, courtesy Mr. Williams' compositions, of course :music:

Nothing beats Schindler's List. Perlman's playing is perfection, he really brings the emotion out.

I agree with Morn. The soundtrack is stunning, and Perlman is incredible with the solos.

~Harry

Big time celebrities???  

Clearly we have different definitions of these things.

Well,Yo-Yo Ma,Pearlman and Barbara Bonney are highly proeminent in the classical music world outside of film music.

K.M.Who flips through some of his dad's zillions of classical magazines he buys every month.

I voted for Bonney. Her performance in A.I. is truly beautiful.

And KM... your dad showing any signs of letting up on hating film scores lately?

-Chris

I thought Randy Kerber did a fantastic job on Angela's Ashes as well as Harry Potter.

Director - who loves piano

p.s. He played on A.I. too, right?

Director2 - who knows this but is completely blank right now

I was going to vote for "Yes, Giorgio" featuring Luciano Pavarotti, but seeing as Micheal Small wrote the bulk of the score... I thought better.

NOOO!!! Pllleeeeaaaassseee!!!!!!!!! Not Big Fat Luciano!!!!!! :)

I laughed a lot when I knew that some americans call the tenor "Vincerotti" and laughed even more when some time ago, on Movie Music Message Board, I found a topic titled "Il Ciccione canta Nino Rota" (which in Italian means "The Fat Sings Nino Rota"). :)

I'm not taking you around... I don't like Pavarotti and I found exhilarating that kind of comments... here in Italy he is now considered a kind of "popstar" on the level of the Spice Girls and Britney Spears...

Maurizio

--

Big time celebrities???  

Clearly we have different definitions of these things.

I guess we do. Let me know when YOU'RE in as much demand as Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman (or make that kind of money!), or when you've sold as many albums as The Chieftains or Mark O'Connor.

Figo, who bought Barbara Bonney's records long, long before (and will continue buying them in spite of) "A.I."