Early Williams 8: The Plainsman (1966)

Thor

I made a rip of the opening 4 minutes, which doesn't have any dialogue, just a few sound effects. This was a Spanish dub (sadly), so you'll hear the narrator say the film's title in Spanish at some point. Really wonderful music that should get a release!

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/plainsman.mp3

Thanks, Thor, that's better than the version I taped off the TV a few years ago using my headphones as a makeshift microphone!

There's some really fine underscore later in the film too, especially the bit where the cavalry rides into an Indian ambush in a canyon. There are also some nice trumpet solos throughout the score. This and The Rare Breed are now my two most wanted Williams releases that have never had a commercial release of any sort (notwithstanding the pretty good Silva Screen suite of the latter).

By the way, the woman who plays Calamity Jane in this wanted shooting. She gives a truly unbearable performance and that in a film that boasts a blacked up Simon Oakland as the chief and Leslie Nielsen sporting a ZZ Top beard as General Custer.

He, he...yeah, Nielsen was hilarious as the general. The Jane character was indeed unbearable....especially when dubbed to Spanish!

It is wonderful to hear how Williams' style and voice were as distinctive as ever even back then although he just had to refrain from writing music of this type for his fluffy and hare brained comedies. Great robust and lively music. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice little score. JW was "forced" to use the then popular choir for the Main Titles, which have a kind of a Lavagnino vibe.

The movie, like Sergeant Ryker and Nightmare in Chicago, was made-for-tv, and later shown in cinemas.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around checking this one. My copy his the real thing, not dubbing in here, but the sound isn't as crisp on Thor's.

If anyone's willing to tell me how to post this samples in the forum, I'll add my rip tomorrow.

• 5 years later...

Yes, I saw it over on FSM, K. Great job; I think it's slightly better than the one I uploaded (or the same), but that is no longer available.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, M. Yes, just a tad bit better than my own rip, I'd say. And it doesn't contain the dubbing guy saying the title in Spanish, which is great.