Sony Classical's Phantom Menace 3D soundtrack CD

Jay

Right. To me, the UE features the mixes as they left the recording studio, while the OST seems like after those raw mixes were edited into the album presentation JW wanted, additional reverb was added and other tweaking were done to the mix.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think it was just a difference of volume, but I actually agree now - the UE genuinely does sound (very, very slightly) better than the OST, even if you crank the OST up to the exact same levels. I was noticing it while comparing the OST and UE versions of "The Flag Parade." The difference is really quite subtle...you can edit back and forth between the releases without the transitions being perceptible...but it's there.

yeah,I'm not saying it's obvious switching back and forth from the same track

But if you listen to the whole thing on good headphones you are left with the impression the UE sounds better

Right. To me, the UE features the mixes as they left the recording studio, while the OST seems like after those raw mixes were edited into the album presentation JW wanted, additional reverb was added and other tweaking were done to the mix.

Yeah, that's always whave I've thought...

I seriously had good feelings that we would get complete scores to time out with the Blu-rays...obvisouly it was a false reading in the Force. But if they don't release them along with the 3d films....well, I am going to be so old when star wars scores get a propper release...

That's why it's generally best to use the game material for The Phantom Menace for quite a few of the cues.

I think it depends entirely on what the music in the video games sound like. Some are clearly flubbed takes of cues. I say that the Album takes precenence, then the UE, then the games, but I'm a detail-whore when it comes to this sort of thing anyways :P

• 2 weeks later...

The strange thing is it hasn't even turned up on Amazon, and it's coming out in a week and a half!

Yet the 4CD version of Titanic coming out in April by the same label IS on amazon. Strange.

The strange thing is it hasn't even turned up on Amazon, and it's coming out in a week and a half!

It'll be released on February 7.

http://www.amazon.co...27597097&sr=1-3

It seems Amazon.co.uk has first information. Here it is on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.co...27597097&sr=1-3

Look at the price on Amazon.com, it is funny!

Your economy must really suck if you have a $1 bin at Walmart. The cheapest I've seen any kind of large unsorted bin of movies or music at Walmart is $4 or $5. Even Family Dollar charges at least $4 for their soundtrack CDs.

• 1 month later...

Just want to inform you guys that Sony will re-release the Ultimate Edition 2CD on March 9th in Germany and on March 20th in USA . According to SonyMusic.de, it contains intensive booklet and illustrations from the film. I would say it is the same booklet as the first release. Also, the Digipack will not include metallic look and booklet is not printed with "special paper". I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Tracklisting is the same (that was obvious).

So you can annoy once again, if you think Sony made another fault.

SonyMusic.de: http://www.sonymusic...dition/P/928789

Pre-Order at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007508U82/

So without having to read all 7 pages... :P

The only difference between this and the OS album is the one bonus track that's found on the UE edition and the cover? Really nothing else? (Sound quality, etc.?)

And who is getting this? Just for completeness's sake?

I don't think there's any improvement over the original release. I don't think anyone here is going to waste their money to buy this again. I know I won't and if anyone here does then quite frankly you're stupid.

I don't think there's any improvement over the original release. I don't think anyone here is going to waste their money to buy this again. I know I won't and if anyone here does then quite frankly you're stupid.

Well, I am just asking!

Besides, why not? If you're a collector...?

lol, you guys are funny :D

Again, why would we want to pay twice for the same product? DOTF Dialogue version came from the UE in the first place.

If this CD was in a higher quality (not remastered, but higher than 24 bit), or in 5/7.1 I would buy it, but as it stands, it will be a waste of money....Oh wait...I never bought the original! :lick::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I went into HMV today, lo and behold, they had the 3D Soundtrack CD there for £10. What made me laugh was that, literally behind it on the shelf was the standard version of the album for £9. I had a look, and the 3D soundtrack even uses the same back cover as the original. Now, that's cheap and tacky.

I went into HMV today, lo and behold, they had the 3D Soundtrack CD there for £10. What made me laugh was that, literally behind it on the shelf was the standard version of the album for £9. I had a look, and the 3D soundtrack even uses the same back cover as the original. Now, that's cheap and tacky.

Yup a waste of time to re-release something that's still widely available.

This would have been the perfect opportunity for Sony to release the intended score and make a lot of money off of it. I'd like to beat some sense into the current head guys at Sony who are making these decisions for the Prequel scores.

i think its a bit of both... lucasfilm lazyness (why bother if some people are still going to buy the reissue) and sony's pasiveness (if they had some interest and asked lucasfilm for expansions, they would be granted, i suppose)

I honestly think it's Lucasfilm that holds them back - and I honestly believe it is so that they have something to milk in the future.

That being said, restoring the scores may not be something that they want to be putting budget towards and they're satisfied with what is available.

I don't think we'll ever know how this works out for the prequels. John Williams was historically not involved in any of the Star Wars expansions. Supposedly, he produced Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, but I seriously doubt he was involved with it. Now, they release an Indiana Jones box set and he's running shit. The albums are how he would like the scores to be experienced outside the movies for now, I think. I hope I'm wrong or someone else makes the calls regarding those scores.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder what bonus tracks we will get in the other reissues: if they're reissuing the UE too at some point, we won't get any extras, AOTC is likely to get On The Conveyor Belt. What would Episode III get, I wonder?

I don't think we'll ever know how this works out for the prequels. John Williams was historically not involved in any of the Star Wars expansions. Supposedly, he produced Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition, but I seriously doubt he was involved with it. Now, they release an Indiana Jones box set and he's running shit. The albums are how he would like the scores to be experienced outside the movies for now, I think. I hope I'm wrong or someone else makes the calls regarding those scores.

From what it was told back then, Williams approved the 1997 SE albums.