Will E.T. The Extra Terrestrial finally get a complete release?

It's 2012, this year the film will celebrate it's 30th anniversary.

While having 3 CD releases, the complete score has never been released apart from arguably the Laserdisc iso score.

There's a lot of talk about Hook being released. But I think this score should finally get a utterly complete FSM/Intrada/La La Land style release. Meaning the complete score AND the original 1982 CD remastered, plus the alternate cues.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that the some of the most important Spielberg/Williams scores like Jaws, E.T., Close Encounters still need definitive releases, even though they have been expanded while stuff like 1941gets a perfect release just like that?

Because La-La Land was able to do the entire 1941 release without involving Spielberg or Williams' people at all. Same with Intrada and Amazing Stories.

Williams was directly involved in the Jaws, CE3K, both ET, and Indy expansions

Because La-La Land was able to do the entire 1941 release without involving Spielberg or Williams' people at all. Same with Intrada and Amazing Stories.

Williams was directly involved in the Jaws, CE3K, both ET, and Indy expansions

I think Spielberg was involved with Amazing Stories. If I remember correctly Doug Fake once mentioned it that the booklets were approved by Spielberg.

We have the all the E.T, releases we need :)

Most definitely, yes. I only listen to the original MCA album, anyway, even though I also own the anniversary edition as part of my massive E.T. DVD gift box set that was released a few years ago.

Does JW ever have contractual rights? I keep hearing how he nixed SUGARLAND EXPRESS, but wouldn't it be down to the rights holders (assuming he doesn't own the music rights)?

Technically, John Williams may have no legal/contractual say, but I'd assume the rights holders would prefer to not upset John Williams or go against his wishes over few thousand copies of a score that would be marketed to our niche market.

If they decide to do it I hope they include remaster of the original OST because E.T. and Me has a great string statement of the friendship theme that isn't in the actual score, at least that I'm aware of.

If they decide to do it I hope they include remaster of the original OST because E.T. and Me has a great string statement of the friendship theme that isn't in the actual score, at least that I'm aware of.

Well if the OST is all different to the actual score it should go in the release as well.

That piece itself is a gorgeous reworking of that particular thematic idea. I was totally levelled when I first heard it. Even though Williams might claim otherwise his quite recent revision of the piece under the title "Stargazers" is this very same piece of music with additional harp and orchestral passages.

I remember somebody saying Williams has cloud and you would want to stay on his side and not possibly offend him and his pull with the studios.

But I'm thinking: So what? What studios? He does damn near nothing but Speilberg/Lucas films, except that one film which -- as I recall -- Speilberg was going to do, but didn't, but Johnny still scored. Big honkin' deal. Let him pul his weight, and let the studios say: When was the last time you worked with one of our directors or scored one of our films?

So what if he won't cooperate with notes of crap? The vast majority of limited edition scores have had no cooperation from the living composers. We'll live. If he doesn't won the rights, let him worry about dry cleaning his black turtle necks He'll get over it.

Jamie Horner, that goes for you, too -- we want "Young Guns", damnit.

'cause he doesn't own the rights either. And if he cared, he'd start his own/would have sarted his own. Not like he doesn't have the money. Plus, when it comes down to it, it likely doesn't bother him in regards to score CD's.

And he's getting up there in years now, not too many films ahead him -- would he start a pointless tussle over nothing?

Please don't be all prissy and bitchy because a composer allegedly does not want a certain score released.

He certainly has the right to do that. Williams is very critical of his own work. That's why he withdrew his symphony from circulation.

Exactly. This isn't some huge seller we're talking about. I mean, our niche is just that...a niche. Even for a blockbuster like E.T., how many people will actually pay for a proper expansion outside our relatively small group? I think Heaven for LLL, Intrada, FSM, Varese, etc and that they do cater to us, but I just don't see a studio even caring to deal with the headache of a conflict. Williams says, "Hey, I'd rather Sugarland Express not be released," then I'd bet they don't release it. Period.

LFL/Sony still perplex me with Star Wars though. They were willing to allow some real work with the OT for the Anthology and 1997 sets, but then it dried up after the Ep1 Ultimate Edition fiasco. I also believe that was just a misunderstanding. I think they legitimately thought we wanted the music as they presented it in the set. Then they felt all they got was a slap in the face back from us. The concept of presenting a score like "our" labels do was likely foreign to them at the time.

Regardless, even if one of our labels CAN'T release this stuff, if the label is willing to allow it out the door (like Star Wars), what POSSIBLE harm could come from letting Mike Matessino or someone like him put it together. I'd buy it from Sony or LFL directly or wherever if I knew someone like him put it together and had pretty much full control of it.

Oh well... maybe someday.

Well, here's what is going on this year.

- E.T. turns 30 (Jesus)

- E.T. gets a new line of merchandise (see: NECA)

- E.T. is released on Blu-ray

Will a new soundtrack be issued? God, I hope so.