There's a lot of young inexperienced folks round this part, time to sit 'em down and teach 'em some life lessons, and hell maybe learn a thing or two ourselves! From love to finance to cooking. Bring it folks!

Here are my first three four pieces of advice to get the ball rolling:

Financial Advice

• Always buy the best of what you can afford (not necessarily most expensive, but best). It's cheaper to buy something long-lasting than something you'll only get to use a couple of times. And always remember, buy for life. If something lasts you for say...30 years, it works out to Price/(30*365) per day. $3000 worth of furniture you can use for even a mere 10 years costs $0.82 per day.
  • There are some things you want to go as cheap as possible, especially stuff that breaks down fast.
  • For a PC (if you don't play games) , buy the cheapest system available in stores that fit your requirements
  • For a HDTV there is also no need to pay for the top of the line models
  • Start saving. Now. Even if you can just put away $1 a day.

• For TV's whatever you buy will be archeaic and obsolete in a years time. Buy what you LIKE. Not what the newest trend is.

Everyday Advice

• Before leaving the house, always check if you have your keys, your wallet and your ID (in case the Government demands you keep one on you at all times).
  • Always check first if there is enough toilet paper left before... doing what you have to do.
  • Always carry a pocket knife or multi-tool. Not really for self-defense, but because it will come in handy for so many other practical applications. Unless you live in the UK.
  • Are your sweaters pilling? (You know...the fuzz balls developing after a lot of washing). Give 'em a good dry shave with your wet-shaving razor.
  • Always wear sunscreen
  • If you're leaving your house/apartment for the weekend, always remember to take your cell phone charger if you don't carry one in your car.

• When buying a printer, always go for one with 4 seperate ink tanks. It will save you some money in the long run!

• If your lock is skewed so that it'll work, but only close when you turn the key, don't fix it. Not being able to leave the house without your keys means you can't forget them.

Hobby Advice

• You don't need a $500 kit to get some nice views of space, a good old 15x70 pair of binoculars are pretty damn good and more easily used.

Photography Advice

• If you're taking your camera someplace exciting with the intent to take interesting photos, always make sure you have new or freshly charged batteries, along with a spare set handy or the ability to get replacements.

Words of Wisdom

• If you are no good at lying to your loved ones, then don't even try. If you are, try not to lie all the time.
  • Enjoy life as it is right now. This year will see many misfortunes.

Quint & Wojo's Dubious Advice Corner

• Make the bus come quicker by standing at the corner looking for it coming down the road, then hastily run back to the bus stop.

• Amateur astronomers: Avoid total blindness by viewing the sun through a telescope rather than binoculars.

• If you really want to gaze at the sun, just ask your friend to shine a high-powered deer spotting lamp in your face. It will achieve the same desired effect.

[Edit] F*ck everything about Invision Power Board's rich text editor. Look at the mess it made above! Just let me format this by BBcode dammit![/Edit]

- Always carry a pocket knife or multi-tool. Not really for self-defense, but because it will come in handy for so many other practical applications. Unless you live in the UK.

Unfortunately us MacGyver wannabes in Australia have to put up with anti-pocket knife laws that'll get you arrested on the spot if you're caught with one. It's legal for stores to sell them, but illegal to carry one. It's a wonder police don't patrol outside the stores in shopping malls and pounce every poor bugger who walks out with one.

Sounds similar to The Netherlands absurd soft-drug laws. Were it is legal for coffee shops to sell marijuana, even though it's illegal for coffee shops to buy it themselves, or to grow them.

Before leaving the house, always check if you have your keys, your wallet and your ID (in case the Government demands you keep one on you at all times).

Always wear sunscreen.....(although I think someone's mentioned that one before....)...

...actually in the UK you are fine with a multi-tool or pocket knife with a blade that is 3 inches or less....providing you don't brandish it about when you are pissed or something....I have a Leatherman permanently on my person - indespensable tool, as essential to me as an ipod and a pouch of rolling tobacco - and it has never been an issue.

- Always buy the best of what you can afford (not necessarily most expensive, but best). It's cheaper to buy something long-lasting than something you'll only get to use a couple of times. And always remember, buy for life. If something lasts you for say...30 years, it works out to Price/(30*365) per day. $3000 worth of furniture you can use for even a mere 10 years costs $0.82 per day.

But there are some things you want to go as cheap as possible, especially stuff that breaks down fast.

I think for a PC (if you don't play games) , buy the cheapest system available in stores that fit your requirements

For a HDTV there is also no need to pay for the top of the line models

If you're taking your camera someplace exciting with the intent to take interesting photos, always make sure you have new or freshly charged batteries, along with a spare set handy or the ability to get replacements.

And if you're leaving your house/apartment for the weekend, always remember to take your cell phone charger if you don't carry one in your car.

Been burned on both before.

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

If you need to copy something really long, you don't need to click and drag for 6 thousand miles while you scroll.

Left click at the beginning of what you want to copy, and then shift click at the end. BAM!

Before leaving the house, always check if you have your keys, your wallet and your ID (in case the Government demands you keep one on you at all times).

If your lock is skewed so that it'll work, but only close when you turn the key, don't fix it. Not being able to leave the house without your keys means you can't forget them.

Amateur astronomers: echoing Quint's sentiments, you don't need a $500 kit to get some nice views of space, a good old 15x70 pair of binoculars are pretty damn good and more easily used.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-SkyMaster-Binoculars-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326241934&sr=1-1

Enjoy life as it is right now. This year will see many misfortunes.

And at this point I would like to have one minute of silence for the United States of America, whose liberty died on December 31st, 2011.

Single gents: Save cash on expensive dating agencies by simply standing across the road from your local lonely hearts club and when you see someone you like come out, quietly follow them home at a discreet distance. After they have entered their home, leave a dignified amount of time before knocking on their door and asking them out for a drink.

Automobile/Driving Tip:

Always get a car with rear windshield wiper. Not because it helps rearward visibility, but because you can weaponize it against people following you. Spraying your windshield wash will irritate people following too close.

I tried to click "Like this" on Steef's post, but it said "

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

".

Again, where all these happy people frittering away positive vibes?

When there's a good special on stuff you use everyday, buy a lot of it

When you eat at a fast food get 2 burgers instead of 1 burger+ fries, this way you won't gain weight

Never drink sugared cola

I'm not an addict! I could stop drinking water anytime I want! I just don't want to!

On a more serious note, if I may offer some advice, despite being relatively young and inexperienced: don't stress. More precisely, don't stress unless you really, really need to. Stepping back, breathing, smiling, and approaching problems with a logical, goal-oriented mindset will do wonders for your overall happiness. (It also improves acne.)

Better yet, drink only water, period. Most juice is just sugar water. If you drink just water for long enough, it starts to become really tasty and appealing...almost addictive, even.

I only drink water and I actually see what you mean. I was referring to homemade juice. I used to spent a while after lunch making orange juice when I was a kid.

I'm going through something right now. It's a mixture of a horrible realization of how my life is for me mixed with a strong desire to do something I just don't seem to have the energy or the power to anymore. I'm questioning my relationship, not feeling it anymore. What's worse is I feel like I admire someone who probably thinks I am a wacko, and no I don't mean admire in a "relationship" way. I've been breaking down every other day, give or take. But last night was the worst. And just a few minutes ago. I don't know whats happening to me. I don't know who I can talk to anymore. If this doesn't make sense right now, I'm sorry. I'll go more into it if anyone wants to. I just had to type something now because I really just feel like I'm going crazy. I'm crying now as writing this. I don't know what's happening. I don't feel like I understand anything anymore. I don't feel like anyone does. I've never felt this intense inside.

I'm going through something right now. It's a mixture of a horrible realization of how my life is for me mixed with a strong desire to do something I just don't seem to have the energy or the power to anymore. I'm questioning my relationship, not feeling it anymore. What's worse is I feel like I admire someone who probably thinks I am a wacko, and no I don't mean admire in a "relationship" way. I've been breaking down every other day, give or take. But last night was the worst. And just a few minutes ago. I don't know whats happening to me. I don't know who I can talk to anymore. If this doesn't make sense right now, I'm sorry. I'll go more into it if anyone wants to. I just had to type something now because I really just feel like I'm going crazy. I'm crying now as writing this. I don't know what's happening. I don't feel like I understand anything anymore. I don't feel like anyone does. I've never felt this intense inside.

Hang in there, bud.

Sorry to hear that, man. =( If you want to go into more detail or just vent, I'll listen and (if you want) offer any advice you want, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. In any case, definitely hang in there, like Demondm810 said.

Thank you both for you're concern. I wore myself out from my "episode", so I'm a bit calmer now. Even though my head is throbbing and I feel like a zombie now. That's life, I guess. If sound too cold or confusing, or say strange things, I apologize. I'm just trying to account for what is possibly going on with me. I know a lot of my issues. I am a procrastinator. I don't know shit about cars even though I drive almost 10 hours a week now, and have for the past year. That's a big no-no, isn't it? I seem to have low self-esteem. I really hate eggs. I'm not sporty at all. Blah blah blah. I know a lot of my shortcomings. I recognize them. I was going to list "I'm gay" as one of them, but you know what? I'm sick of feeling sorry for that. If you disagree with me, well a big "fuck you" to you. But what DOES bother me these days is that I am gay, but I don't even fit in with my own "kind". Isn't that outrageous? That I should have to anyway? Why do I need to? All I do is like guys instead of girls. That's it. Okay, I may be more highly emotional than most guys, but that is really hardly a gay associated theme. I'm a nerdy guy who likes guys and lives and breathes movies, movie scores, dinosaurs, and a lot of other odds and ends here and there. All are fairly un-gay things. I don't fit in with the club crowd. I've tried. It disgusts me. It infuriates me. Being gay shouldn't be a "lifestyle", because it is a lifestyle of SEX. What should it be? It should be something as recognized as ethnicity. Then again, I guess that is a silly thing to say, since even different ehtnic groups feel the need to have their own "pride" events. Why? What's to be proud of? You come from a certain race, so what, big deal? Is there really need to celebrate? Same with being gay. Really, I'm not upset that I am gay, nor am I exactly thrilled. I just am what I am. What the fuck does there have to be an event for it? And why am I considered fucking weird for not wanting to be involved? Why should I have to go to clubs to be considered "part of the crowd"? I don't dance, because I don't like to. I don't feel right. It's not fun. Simply put: I don't feel like I belong. Anywhere. With anyone. And I don't understand why people like to party all the time. I would love to just relax and talk. Or watch a film. Hell, I don't even mind a couple drinks, I'm not a total Scrooge.

But what is really upsetting me? The world. Yes. How original. I worked at Hollywood Video right when I got out of high school, tried to juggle college, failed. But then I went up the ladder at Hollywood Video to Assistant. Company failed last year, so I got laid off. Within that time I went through a few failed relationships, a couple found right here in these forums. That's right. I was unemployed for 6 months, and during that time, I found someone else, who actually ended up making me feel depressed even more because he was still apparently not over his ex, but failed to let me know until later. And of course I couldn't take it anymore, and I broke up with him myself. A mere two months later I find out he ends up back with him. Yeah, real fucking original. Anyway, so I then kind of freak out, because this was a time when I felt like I HAD to be with someone to be happy, and lo and behold I find someone that I actually did meet in a fairly nerdy way (Harry Potter premiere) and though it could be promising. Little did I know that he was the clubbing type listed in my lovely paragraph above, and came from this big Christian family, blah blah blah. In short, a lot of problems arose, but then died down, and I'm still with him. But I can tell there is something wrong... it doesn't feel right anymore. And I get annoyed everytime I talk to him now, even though I don't always show it. He has certain ideals and desires that drive me nuts, because he seems to want things for the wrong reasons. Like writing. He wants to write a book, but it seems like he only really wants to do it to get attention. Now we all want recognition, but he keeps on saying how he can't wait to always talk to people about it and answer fan mail and etc. Really, you want to be like Gilderoy Lockhart? What a desire. It merely comes from his interest in typical "you are gay so you HAVE to like these people" stars like Brittany Spears and etc. etc., where being a star is about that kind of thing. You see, I want to write a novel, too. I've written a lot of little stuff before, and one big thing. And I have had this one story in my head for YEARS. But I'm not doing it for anyone else. I'm doing it for me. If I can ever do it. More on that in a moment. What I am trying to say is the way his mind works drives me crazy. I've become some strange antagonist. It doesn't help that I do all the driving because he pretty much doesn't have a car (meaning his doesn't really work well) and he keeps saying he is getting one. He keeps saying a lot of things. I don't mind goals. Just stop getting all excited about them and making me think things are going to happen when they don't. It's called letting someone down, all the time. And he isn't responsible. I actually gave up a shift to hang out with him today. But what happened? He "didn't realize" he was actually working today because he ususally doesn't. And he made it seem like it was his job's fault. Uhm, not, it's not. I work too. You can never "assume" when you work. And he has been working at his job for years. You're telling me they never do random shit like that? You're telling me that even though they put up their schedules at least 2 weeks in advance that you simply don't care enough to write them down anymore especially when you are with someone that also works and try to plan things together when you hardly see each other as it is? Where the fuck is his head? Seriously? Do I need to rip it out from his own fucking clouds as he thinks about stardom without even really thinking of what would actually make his story good?

But wait. I'm just getting started. Speaking of my new job, which is at a series of giftshops at an airport, I have to drive 45 minutes to everyday from my small shitty town that has no jobs. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a normal drive, listening to music, audiobooks sometimes... except my town is up this giant ass hill, after a swerving mountain pass, that then leads to the freeway, etc. I drive a 4 cylinder car that has a hard time going up hills, and apparently is now just starting to burn oil for "no good reason". Well what the hell else is new for me. Not only that, but the employee parking lot at the airport is 15 minutes away just from the entrance. The walk is nice, but sometimes I have to rush it. And going thru security everyday... shit. Anyone do this? Anyone hate this? I have to do it everyday I work. And lately there have been masses of people I have to get through. And it's just starting to drive me nuts... being surrounded by masses of people. I'm not a city person, I get claustrophobic being around so many people all the time. Especially because everyone is always in a hurry. Everyone. And they put me in the busiest shop in the airport because I'm good and have the best customer service. That's because I see work as an acting job. I get into a character I guess. I don't even think about it. But they don't realize how much it exhausts me. I do hundreds of transactions a day. Hundreds. Sometimes just within an hour. And I am forced to talk the entire time, asking the same questions over and over again. It's so impersonal. Granted, retail is nothing new to me, as I already said. But it was a much slower pace, and I actually could talk normally and really help people, and even talk about things I enjoyed. It isn't like that at all now. All people care about is getting in and out as quickly as possible and not missing their flights, etc. It's really started to depress me. There is no fun or creativity. The shop is small and cramped. I'm usually left completely alone to fend the customers off. I'm good at it, is the bad thing I guess. I should have just sucked from the beginning, right? But now I set a standard in their eyes. So now I'm stuck where I don't want to be. Isn't it bad that when you do a good job and it actually hurts you more than helps you? And the few times there are other employees around, they really just get in the way, especially when the team leads audit. There just isn't enough room, not enough down time. It's maddening. I was actually recently offered a team lead position, which, is a good thing right? Well, it was only a single dollar more, and I know the kind of work they do. Always running around, auditing each register 4 or 5 times a day in 4 different shops with 2 registers each, getting lists of stuff from the warehouse for people, lugging things all around the airport, etc etc... they always look even more miserable and worn out than me. Always say they "skip their lunch breaks and work on them" just to get stuff done. I'm sure they aren't supposed to, but are pressured to no doubt. It's ghastly. So I turned it down. Some people thought I was dumb that I know, but they don't understand. They don't see it like I literally do. Everyday. It just drives me crazy that I work at a place where everyone is in such a rush, all the time.

Driving to and from home is starting to affect me, too. I go from being mostly alone at work (I don't count the customers as real company, especially because they each never stay very long), to being entirely alone on my drive to and from home. I listen to music or audiobooks, but it isn't always comforting. I start thinking about things going on in my mind. Sometimes happy things, but lately it usually merges over to thoughts like these, or worse. I've had emotional breakdowns while driving several times. Some times I should have pulled over, but didn't really care. I'm not suicidal, but there were a few times while driving in the pass that my brain had a momentary switch that said "just go off the road, whatever". I literally had to fight the switch in my brain to turn it off for a moment. It's not suicidal. It's just simply not caring. Choosing to just not do a damn thing, the body shutting down. You wan't to know what else is starting to bother me? Seeing roadkill. I'm usually one who can stomache gruesome things, hell I love horror and sci fi movies. But lately as I witness roadkill it is distrubing me. They all look so pathetic and helpless on the road, hit by some driver either carelessly or by accident. My brain suddenly goes into overdrive, and thinks, "What was this creature? What was it's life like? What was it doing, going across this road? What was it thinking? What was it's real goal? Did it have a family? Friends? Did it have hopes and dreams? Does it even have these thoughts? How can it not?". But one incident was really disturbing for me. I was driving home late one very dark night, and I saw this white little dog, some kind of terrier, walking on the road. It was in the other lane that I was not driving on, and he looked at me as I passed. He didn't seem scared, he just didn't seem to know what he was doing. Or where he was going. In the lane the dog was in, not very far away, was this big truck, that was going pretty fast. The dog still had time to get across the road, but it didn't seem to be moving. I wanted to stop. I wanted to put my car in reverse and get him. But I knew that was impossible. I would've been hit, too. As I drove further I kept thinking about the fate of the dog, if he was alright, if the truck stopped or was able to safely change lanes without hitting him. I tried not to think about it but couldn't help it. The next day, when I drove back home on the same stretch of road, I went past around the spot where I saw the dog. On the ground, one the same lane on the road, was a fluffy white little mound of what looked like crumpled up flesh. It didn't even resemble a dog anymore. I drove him in utter silence. I couldn't even cry. I just didn't even know how to feel.

I kept thinking what if I really was able to have saved that dog somehow? Who did it belong to? How did it get away? Why did it get away? What was going through it's head? Was it done on purpose? Did the owners of the dog, if it had any, ever find out the fate of their pet? And was it really that horrible speeding truck that caused the fate of this creature? These thoughts still circle in my mind. Why did it bother me so much? Why did I feel somehow connected? I guess I really kept thinking I could have done something. And what would have happened if the dog had lived, even without my help? Would he have been reuinted with his family? Or maybe been killed some other way, perhaps by a another animal?

My mind is plagued by "What ifs" these days. I keep looking back on events on my life wondering how things would have been different if I would have done certain things differently. You see, I also live by a military base, meaning I usually didn't grow up with the same friends very long, since they always moved. It's like new ones had to be rotated in every couple years. I guess that is a bit natural anyway. Except that to me it felt like they were extracted, forced to leave. After a while I stopped trying. Hung out mostly with the theater crowd. Except I wasn't as high on myself like most of them were. I wish I were though. Maybe I would be further ahead in life than I am right now.

I still live at home with my parents. Who almost got divorced. I wished it would have happened. There is nothing more obvious than two people who don't get along. Or don't love each other anymore. I get it though, I'm an adult. That's why by high school I would have almost welcomed a divorce. I understood it. But instead I have become almost their single thread of happiness, even though they complain about me a lot. They want me to master in computers just because I happen to know how to switch them on and they don't. But I'm too artistic. I want to write. Or make films. I always have. But I feel like I'm running out of energy to even try. Everything that I am going through is wearing me out.

I'm going to stop right here. I wore myself out, honestly. But I'm really just getting started. Wait til I get into my thoughts on how the world works, how much I now hate living in America, how I feel like I really can never leave my town... and how really no one really knows how anything works. Not even me.

Reading through that, it's obvious something isn't quite right there. If this has been an ongoing issue (more than a week or two) I would strongly urge you to seek help from a professional.

And I can't stress enough how much of a "people over-do the whole I need to go to the doctor" person I am. But in this case, I think it would be a good choice. :)

Not to sound ungrateful, blumenkohl, but I actually would never trust the advice from a phsychiatrist. Hell, I briefly dated one. Wow, I guess I have been around. And let me tell you he was pretty unhinged himself. How can I take his advice for what I should do? He isn't the only person I've known who was one, actually. And it seems like their views are life are even more derranged than my own. And a lot of them are complete assholes, really. I'd rather just chat about life with you people. At least I know we have at least one similar interest. Like talking things out with friends.

Friends. Another subject I touched on. With all my problems in my mind with my boyfriend (there's more of course but it's all typical i guess), and my friends working on my days off and vice versa, I either just see him or no one else. Just my parents when I get home, who always hover around me when I'm on the computer because the internet is in a room that they always go back and forth in. So my life has seemed to be in this cycle of isolation. Well, at my job, across the way at this yogurt place, this guy kept on like waving to me that works there. So I would wave back, we would do funny motions and etc. He finally came over on a break and we started chatting. Before you say anything, no, I'm 99 percent positive he isn't gay, too. But he was so friendly, and inviting. And fun. And such a nerd like me. He was just what I needed: someone, actually there, admist it all, to make me feel better. Well we actually hung out last night. And I seemed to have fun. So did he. We stayed out late. But now he is acting strange. Perhaps that triggered today's emotions. I know that's not totally true, but it's just infuriating. Infuriating how people can act like things alright, then all of a sudden, for what seems like no reason, things are wrong. Perhaps I acted too happy. Perhaps I acted too strange. Or maybe he thought I was coming onto him. What if I really was and didn't know it? I didn't do anything though. Except give a light hug when I left. Maybe that was too far? But why is that so bad? Why is it such a big deal to have contact? Are people that cold now to no longer require it? Maybe I'm just one of those people that wasn't hugged enough as a kid, and really want it now. With people I feel connected to.

I'm probably turning a lot of people off with all my babble. It's fine. Like last night, it's nothing new. I feel like I sound like I am just feeling sorry for myself. Maybe that's partially true. But it definitely isn't to get attention. It's a form of screaming. Just to let things out. I've let myself bottle things up for far too long all year. My car seems to be destroying itself. Gas prices apparently are going to rise this year from what I heard on the news just now. Don't get me started on politics. It may seem obvious that I am pretty liberal. But I also feel like both sides of the coin are full of shit. That's America for you. I really don't feel like I belong here. And according to most Republicans, I probably shouldn't be here. Or exist for that matter. It's all in my head. Let me give you a nickel's worth of free advice: it's not. I've lived it. So fuck off. If anyone ever needs convincing about that, I could tell a story about that, too.

A lot of things I doubt are just in my head. I think most people don't really think things through. Like my story about the dog on the road. You know how many people would just shrug it off? Or laugh at it? Or maybe feel sorry, but not really know why. I'm not even a big animal rights person... it's something beyond that. It really is undescribeable.

I am passionate when I do what to do something and actually have the energy to. I have, like I said, had a story in my head for years. I've verbally explained it to some friends who found it quite interesting. It's something that has matured with a heart over the years, and am really ready to pursue it. I started researching on alternate dimensions via NOVA programs and books I'm purchasing on Amazon. What's part of my hesitation, besides work? Well living at home, my parents are always around, and they give off this depressed vibe in the house due to their own issues. I need to move out, and before you say anything, me accepting that raise for that team lead position would not have helped. I did the math and checked. With my car paayments on top of it all as a few other bills, I would need a substantial raise of at least 2 or 3 dollars more. It simply can't work otherwise. Anyway, they seem to just suck the life out of me, and constantly remind me of harsh realities. It's like they dwell on them. I'm not allowed to dream for very long. Hell, after high school I wanted to go to college, and just do that for a few years before I got any job. They wouldn't have it, even though they could have helped the first couple years. So I had to get a job and pay for it all myself. Since my parents made too much I couldn't qualify for financial aid. Well, after a while school got to much, hours at work too cut. So I dropped school. Then I got stuck in "work is my life" mode. I want to go back. But it seems so impossible. I don't see how I can do one without the other, and yet I can't possibly do both. Maybe I'm just a weak person then. Or maybe I just don't have the same energy others do. Or maybe I just have too much shit on my mind.

Speaking of, I'm worn out again. I don't really know why I'm giving a life story. I feel foolish. Possibly laughed at. I simply don't mind now. It's just coming out.

I don't have any type of advice that could help you out, scallanger, but I can relate to some of your problems, particularly regarding work and school. I too, would like to write, but I'm the biggest procrastinator I know and have absolutely no ambition to get anything done for myself. I just work retail, experiencing much of the same issues you have with your job, and hang out with friends whenever I can.

Again, not any help, but I understand where you're coming from.

First off, it sounds like you're one amazing dude. You care about stuff, which is far too rare these days. Don't write yourself off, because even though you may not feel it, you've got a LOT going for you. I know that just saying that doesn't help much, but it's true, so I can't help saying it. :)

Secondly, I'm afraid I agree with Blume. It's possible you just got unlucky and met some bad eggs in the psychiatric world...I've seen a number of different professionals for a few different issues over the years, and most (though not all) have been very helpful. Are they going to be perfect individuals? Certainly not. But they may be able to help you develop the tools to cope in a more healthy way, and that's the part that matters. And as someone who's been on an antidepressant for a number of months now (and is feeling a lot more normal and healthy because of it), I can say that if such medication ends up being prescribed, it could be very, very helpful. Keep in mind that the brain is just a chemical machine at the end of the day, and sometimes those chemicals just need a little modification to work in a healthy way.

Also, I can relate strongly to your feelings of disillusionment and resentment toward the world in general. People really suck sometimes. :(

Anyway, I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I would strongly encourage you to just hang on. Things are going to improve, I can nearly guarantee it.

There's a sort of drifting lull that comes on a lot of people when they get out of high school and into college, where they don't quite know what to do with their lives and sort of just go through the motions. I've been there and I know a lot of people who have. Though it may seem hopeless at times there is another side to it and once you get there, you realize you are better off for having been through it.