War Horse Score sounds better in movie, Tintin Score sounds better on album

TheUlyssesian

I have now come to the conclusion that the Tintin score is not mixed very well at all in the movie soundtrack. There are so many highlights on the album but in the movie the score has a very mild presense and not as extra-ordianry as you would expect such a good score to sound. It just sounds muted and meh. And on the album its superb.

War Horse might be slightly boring on the album but it works wonders in the movie, I would say most of the pleasure in the movie comes from the score, it is so prominently mixed and always front and centre.

Whats the deal?

Is one score more appropriate for the movie it was written for or the other score was just indifferently mixed into the soundtrack?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of sound quality, I think War Horse sounds a little worse on album, yes. The OST sounds a little tinny, and some of the brass (horns in particular) almost sound like they're suffering from lossy compression, which is REALLY weird. In terms of enjoyment of the music itself, I'd say the film and OST are very similar, which is to say very good. The music works great in both contexts.

As for Tintin...I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound quality or mixing in the film, but the reverb on the OST is a little distracting and unnatural-sounding to me, and I enjoyed the music more in the film than on album. I'm sad to say that the Tintin OST really bored me, at least for my first listen. It's possible my opinion will improve.

the Tintin OST really bored me, at least for my first listen. It's possible my opinion will improve once I listen to the complete/expanded score.

Fixed!

In terms of sound quality, I think War Horse sounds a little worse on album, yes. The OST sounds a little tinny, and some of the brass (horns in particular) almost sound like they're suffering from lossy compression, which is REALLY weird. In terms of enjoyment of the music itself, I'd say the film and OST are very similar, which is to say very good. The music works great in both contexts.

As for Tintin...I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound quality or mixing in the film, but the reverb on the OST is a little distracting and unnatural-sounding to me, and I enjoyed the music more in the film than on album. I'm sad to say that the Tintin OST really bored me, at least for my first listen. It's possible my opinion will improve.

I'm looking forward to comparing the sound quality of the War Horse FYC to the War Horse OST

As for Tintin, definitely check out the FYC CD. I thought many tracks sounded better on that.

I felt overall the mix for tintin was good ( considering it is a very sound efx dominated film). There are certain moments where the music could have come through more.

I wish Williams would use another mixer. Shawn Murphys stuff done with the LSO was great ( Star Wars, Harry Potter etc) but I still think the recordings in LA are too sterile and artificial (processed) - To me it sounds like the Sony Scoring stage has a very dry acoustic so you don' t really hear the natural acoustic of the room. So the mixer ( in this case Shawn Murphy) would add reverb and eq later. At times it sounds too perfect, if you know what I mean. I also

think parts of Tintin have way too much reverb.