JW and Midevil Music (medieval, middle ages etc..)

InTheCity

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can spell John Williams as Jon Willams, doesnt make it right, but thats beside the point.

I would assume he would have his usual performers (LSO, Boston Pops, LA studio orchestras etc.) play them.

Sorry I can't help you out more with your actual question, but just to have a completely geek moment, I'll add that most of that music was more Renaissance music than Medieval. Medieval was typically modal music and such...the types of harmonies in the period music of POA didn't really come around widely until around the 15th or 16th centuries. Then again, some history texts do combine the two.

Don't mean to geek out over something silly, but if you do a search for "Medieval Music Professionals" to research your question, you may end up with tons of groups that sing Gregorian Chant (Plainchant) instead of what you're looking for. Try searching for Renaissance Period musicians or "Period Musicians" and that may get you some different results.

Anyone know anything about the midevil music in POA? Did he hire out anyone? Who played the recorders? The lute etc...?

Merkel is right, it was the Dufay Collective. You can read more about them in the biography section at http://www.dufay.com

Of interest is that that they played not only in Prisoner of Azkaban, but Hamlet and Shrek 3 too.

Melikes a bit of pommer and shawm.

It can be spelt either way Mr. Troll.

Really? I couldnt find evidence in the net.

It sounds completely wrong though, as 'midevil' sounds as it meant semi-evil.... while medieval means middle ages.

It maybe is some kind of slang word, but then it should not be taken into account as a correct alternate spelling.

Luke, a 18000 posts troll, i suppose ;).

No, there is no alternative spelling of medieval as 'midevil' (unless he had that game above in mind). LOL! :)

As for medieval-type music by Williams, I'm trying to think if there are other examples beyond HP3. Nothing comes to me immediately. Some of the tribal music in ROTJ? Even that is a stretch.

It really makes you wonder what John Williams would have done for a sword and sandal film. I'd really like to hear a Williams with that kind of archaic, medieval tone!

It really makes you wonder what John Williams would have done for a sword and sandal film. I'd really like to hear a Williams with that kind of archaic, medieval tone!

There's actually a bit of it in GIDGET GOES TO ROME, in a dream sequence where she pictures herself back in the days of the Roman empire. That's probably the closest he's been to that sound.

Medieval music is very little understood even among most professional musicians. As airmanjerm said, the stuff in PoA is closer to instrumental music of the Renaissance than of the Medieval. Between the Gregorian plainchant we've all heard and Renaissance madrigals there's about 400 years of nearly forgotten but fascinating music. Try

or Landini.

Lol @ trolls. I am going to blame my 6th grade teacher for confusing me if that is indeed true. Whatever - spelling who cares?

Thanks for the guys/gals posting useful information. I shall check on that link.

I don't really care about the classification - I took in and forgot all that information back in uni. Never was my forte and it doesn't matter much really, I make a good living as a professional composer. The instrumentation is what I came to discuss and that has some carryovers. I just wish there was a behind the scenes for this score, it would be so interesting because it is a rather unique creation.

just because they pointed out, that you can't spell medieval correctly? ahh .. I guess as a composer/artist you are very sensitive

well yes, I too find itrather lame, that there is practically no behind the scenes footage of Williams conducting/discussing the POA Soundtrack

I have been wondering since POA came out if it was Williams' idea to musically shift tones so drastically or if it was director's idea. I love POA, don't get me wrong...but I prefer the magical feeling of Philosophers stone/ chamber of secrets. Does anyone know why the change to more Renaissance feel?

Midevil? Is that midway between good and evil? Middle East, Midwest, Middle-Earth, and now, Midevil.

Or is that Spanglish for "my devil?" Midevil, sudevil, nuestrodevil. Everybody's got a devil.

I have been wondering since POA came out if it was Williams' idea to musically shift tones so drastically or if it was director's idea. I love POA, don't get me wrong...but I prefer the magical feeling of Philosophers stone/ chamber of secrets. Does anyone know why the change to more Renaissance feel?

I think it was out of Alfonso Cuaron's insistence that Williams took another route into the musical world of Potter in POA.

It works wonders for the film. PoA is much darker, full of conspiracies, secrets, etc. The jaunty medieval music mixed with the off-kilter and slightly disturbing harmonies (for instance, during the lyric "Something wicked this way comes") make it seem like somebody - Voldemort, Sirius Black, Pettigrew, or some unknown actor - is toying with Harry Potter. It lends to the sense of paranoia that Harry and the audience feel. It even spills over into Harry's relationship with his parents - musically through the use of the recorder(?) and harpsichord in "Window to the Past," and in the film through the conspiracy involving Black, Pettigrew, and the death of Harry's parents.