The Aloha 'Galaxy' Philharmonic Orchestra

Omen II

KingPin linked to a wonderful performance of the end title music from The Empire Strikes Back in the YouTube thread. It is performed by a Japanese orchestra that I have not heard of but, judging from the other clips of their renditions of John Williams's music, I would love to hear more of them and thought they deserved a thread of their own. Check this out, for example - it's absolute madness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWJLLa6l-U&feature=related

They have a website at http://www.alohaband.net It's in Japanese, but I have already e-mailed my brother in Tokyo to translate for me. I will post the results if they are of interest. I note that one of the clips makes mention of the Japanese John Williams fan club; I wonder if any of their members ever check in here? It would be nice to hear from them, as Johnny T clearly has a big following in Japan.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother e-mailed back with a summary of what the About Us page says. The orchestra apparently started off as a brass brand club at some university. When some members graduated in 1996, they suggested that they enter the local brass band competition in Hyogo Prefecture (near Kobe and Osaka) dressed in Hawaiian shirts instead of the usual sombre black suit gear. The tradition has continued ever since. They don't play Hawaiian music but believe they are more fun than most orchestras and want classical music to be fun, especially at a time of such gloomy news in Japan and the rest of the world.

Indeed! The musical performance is quite good, but the physical performances seem, lets say "interesting"...

When the force theme kicked in, I choked on my tea seeing those hooded figures shaking their hands for "enhanced dramatic effect". And whats the point of the ending? Ya, some of this is funny.

But the music is great! :P

- KK