2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

Romão

Admin note: Here are the list of nominees

Best Picture

"The Artist" Thomas Langmann, Producer

"The Descendants" Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers

"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" Scott Rudin, Producer

"The Help" Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers

"Hugo" Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers

"Midnight in Paris" Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers

"Moneyball" Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers

"The Tree of Life" Nominees to be determined

"War Horse" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

Actor in a Leading Role

Demián Bichir in "A Better Life"

George Clooney in "The Descendants"

Jean Dujardin in "The Artist"

Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

Brad Pitt in "Moneyball"

Actor in a Supporting Role

Kenneth Branagh in "My Week with Marilyn"

Jonah Hill in "Moneyball"

Nick Nolte in "Warrior"

Christopher Plummer in "Beginners"

Max von Sydow in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Actress in a Leading Role

Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs"

Viola Davis in "The Help"

Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady"

Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn"

Actress in a Supporting Role

Bérénice Bejo in "The Artist"

Jessica Chastain in "The Help"

Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"

Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs"

Octavia Spencer in "The Help"

Animated Feature Film

"A Cat in Paris" Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli

"Chico & Rita" Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal

"Kung Fu Panda 2" Jennifer Yuh Nelson

"Puss in Boots" Chris Miller

"Rango" Gore Verbinski

Art Direction

"The Artist" Production Design: Laurence Bennett; Set Decoration: Robert Gould

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan

"Hugo" Production Design: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

"Midnight in Paris" Production Design: Anne Seibel; Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil

"War Horse" Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

Cinematography

"The Artist" Guillaume Schiffman

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Jeff Cronenweth

"Hugo" Robert Richardson

"The Tree of Life" Emmanuel Lubezki

"War Horse" Janusz Kaminski

Costume Design

"Anonymous" Lisy Christl

"The Artist" Mark Bridges

"Hugo" Sandy Powell

"Jane Eyre" Michael O'Connor

"W.E." Arianne Phillips

Directing

"The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius

"The Descendants" Alexander Payne

"Hugo" Martin Scorsese

"Midnight in Paris" Woody Allen

"The Tree of Life" Terrence Malick

Documentary (Feature)

"Hell and Back Again" Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner

"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front" Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman

"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs

"Pina" Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel

"Undefeated" TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

Documentary (Short Subject)

"The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement" Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin

"God Is the Bigger Elvis" Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

"Incident in New Baghdad"James Spione

"Saving Face" Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom" Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

Film Editing

"The Artist" Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

"The Descendants" Kevin Tent

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

"Hugo" Thelma Schoonmaker

"Moneyball" Christopher Tellefsen

Foreign Language Film

"Bullhead" Belgium

"Footnote"

"In Darkness" Poland

"Monsieur Lazhar" Canada

"A Separation" Iran

Makeup

"Albert Nobbs" Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng

"The Iron Lady" Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Music (Original Score)

"The Adventures of Tintin" John Williams

"The Artist" Ludovic Bource

"Hugo" Howard Shore

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Alberto Iglesias

"War Horse" John Williams

Music (Original Song)

"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets" Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

"Real in Rio" from "Rio" Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Short Film (Animated)

"Dimanche/Sunday" Patrick Doyon

"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

"La Luna" Enrico Casarosa

"A Morning Stroll" Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe

"Wild Life" Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

Short Film (Live Action)

"Pentecost" Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane

"Raju" Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

"The Shore" Terry George and Oorlagh George

"Time Freak" Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

"Tuba Atlantic" Hallvar Witzø

Sound Editing

"Drive" Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Ren Klyce

"Hugo" Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

"War Horse" Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

Sound Mixing

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

"Hugo" Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

"Moneyball" Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

"War Horse" Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson

"Hugo" Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning

"Real Steel" Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

"The Descendants" Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash

"Hugo" Screenplay by John Logan

"The Ides of March" Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon

"Moneyball" Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Story by Stan Chervin

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Screenplay by Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

Writing (Original Screenplay)

"The Artist" Written by Michel Hazanavicius

"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

"Margin Call" Written by J.C. Chandor

"Midnight in Paris" Written by Woody Allen

"A Separation" Written by Asghar Farhadi

http://oscar.go.com/...inal%20Score%29

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But 'Tintin' failed to pull a nomination for Animated Feature. The snub of all snubs.

I'd imagine they didn't think it was eligible to the motion capture process or something...it's the only explanation

I'm surprised by the "Tintin" nomination, but maybe I shouldn't be. This was a very weak year for film scores.

Congratulations to John Williams! The first two truly original scores in six years, and you're nominated for both of them!

As an FYI, these nominations mark numbers 46 and 47, breaking his tie with Alfred Newman and bringing him closer to Walt Disney's record of 59.

i was also surprised it wasn't nominated for animated feature, but then after thinking about it, I understand it being excluded ... the film was so plot driven; there weren't any places where we focused on Tintin's character, etc. But excited about the nominations, even if he loses.

No Desplat there is a big miss though.

Not that I care, but this is surprisingly strong lineup. And every single score in this category is "old fashioned".

Perhaps they too were sick of the voters nitwits voting on crap music?

Oh, and Bullhead (Rundskop) is nominated for Best (Foreign Language) Film! Excellent!

Has it not been the case in the past where the two nominations cancell each other out? Like getting two noms is almost as good as a win anyway, in the Academy's eyes.

The same happened with Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha didn't it?

JW wouldn't win regardless, so I'm happy he got the two nominations. First time I recall a director having 2 films nominated for best original score in the same year

The cancellation theory only works if voters want to vote for John Williams as an individual but are presented with two options. I guess it also works if voters want to pick the best score of the year and both scores are fighting it out.

However, it will probably go to the Artist.

This is a great lineup! I'm happy about all the nominees. The Artist will win though. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

And no Reznor and Ross? :cheer:

I added the list of nominees to the main post

It sure is weird Tintin wasn't nominated for best animated film.

JW has no chance of winning the oscar. Even if ONLY War Horse was nominated his chances were slim... but the double-nom pretty much guarantees it won't happen

Only 2 original score noms is weird

Happy to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo get so many noms.... but why the hell not Fincher for Directing???

I'm afraid the Artist will win best score but I think either Williams entry is worthy of victory unlike the last time he was twice nominated.

On Feb. 27 people will talk about how the show had some of the lowest ratings of all time for the Oscars.

They will wonder why? And the answer is clear, The 9 films nominated for best picture were 8 films that hardly anyone saw. The Help, Moneyball and War Horse will be the three most viewed films, and only the Help was an actual blockbuster film (barely).

I found TINTIN rather disappointing and not really deserving of an Oscar nom. But WAR HORSE definitely was, so happy for that.

THE ARTIST will in any case.

Predictable but good choices, I think. The other four nominees this year were merely formalities anyway since The Artist more or less has its name etched on the trophy already (a deserved win IMO, nonetheless), so nice to see Tintin up there as well; my favourite score of 2011. :)

Great! Congrats to John Williams!

Although I gotta say, I am still a bit surprised (or should I say dismayed?) that Johnny is nominated for both "Tintin" and "War Horse," two Spielberg movies in the same year! I wouldn't have believed it possible. But oh well. At this point, JW is probably saying to himself, "Who cares about winning? I will show the world who can garner the most 2 nominations in the same category in the same year!"

:lol: These are probably the two opinions of the jury:

I found TINTIN rather disappointing and not really deserving of an Oscar nom. But WAR HORSE definitely was, so happy for that.

YES!

Now lets hope Johnny will win. With his fabulous Tintin!

Wow, that is a very solid lineup. Very happy to see that the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo didn't get nomimated. But Williams definitely lost this with 2 nominations! :( oh well, he was never going to win anyways.

The Artist will have yet another Oscar under its bag.

it's really a shame that the Oscars chose to nominate Woody Allen's film. The man has no respect for the Oscars so in turn they should ignore his existance sort of like audiences at large do.

It's nice to know the Academy will still nominate Williams for a score to a popcorn film, which hasn't happened since PoA in 2003.

Wow, I think this is the best possible situation for JW, since we pretty much knew he wouldn't win the Oscar anyways. He may as well rack up those nominations!

Oh whoops, my bad. Still, it's been 7 years since a JW score to a popcorn film was nominated.

I wish they would switch back to the 5 nominees for Best Picture. There's no prestige in being nominated if they're picking 10 films.

Oh whoops, my bad. Still, it's been 7 years since a JW score to a popcorn film was nominated.

I wish they would switch back to the 5 nominees for Best Picture. There's no prestige in being nominated if they're picking 10 films.

they didn't pick 10 films. you're not good with numbers today.

Double nom: that's bye-bye for Oscar Number 6, John.

With this line-up, i would given him the thing for WAR HORSE. Not because it's so exceptionally great (it isn't), but because apart from THE ARTIST all other scores are somewhat weaker.

In the end, Howard Shore could have more chances to win than Williams--Hugo collected 11 nominations and will likely bring home most of the tech awards, hence there's a possibilty the score could be one of them (even though The Artist will surely win).

Hugo really is a great score so I wouldn't mind Shore taking the Oscar home...

But it really is a shame Williams won't be getting his 6th Oscar this year; I was really looking forward to it :(

99.99% sure the Artist is taking the Oscar.

At least we can be proud of Williams for his new nomination record. Now he just needs to score enough to beat disney for being at the to!!! :D

I'm pretty happy with this year's nominees, especially for best score. I haven't listened to The Artist yet (or seen the film), but it seems like it would be a score I would like given the subject manner. Even so, to have both Williams scores nominated is pretty awesome, although like others have said I'll be surprised if he actually wins for one of them. But it's still almost as if the Academy said "we still like you're work, John, even though we think other people deserve an Oscar for a change." ;) I also actually really enjoyed Hugo's score, and wouldn't mind that one winning. I listen to it as frequently as Tintin and War Horse, honestly. It's such a (mostly) peaceful and relaxing score with a lot of flavor and variations to it. I wish it's original song that plays at the end credits was nominated, though. Even though I don't understand the lyrics (lol), the voice in counterpart to the music is very good. But yeah, some pretty good choices this year.

Again Harry Potter got snubbed at the Oscars for even nominations. I figured this would happen, even though many thought the Academy would give them more as a sort of "encompassing the entire series" theory. But honestly, I don't care about any other Oscar that series could win EXCEPT for Art Direction. Stuart Craig needs to win this Oscar for the Harry Potter series already. I believe he has been nominated to it every time a Potter film has come out, if I am not mistaken, but never won. He needs to win it this time, not just because his art direction was excellent in the final film, but because this is a case where he should be recognized for his incredible work on the entire series. Anyone else agree? Anyone think it might happen? If it was Potter's only Oscar ever, it'd be great and well-deserved.

I love that Hugo got so many Oscar nominations. I really loved that film because it was a film about films, and I had no idea that's what it was going to be when I saw it. And the way the story went about it, and the way it was presented (in the best 3D I have ever seen) really captivated me far more than any other film this year. And my love for silent films really helped my enjoyment for the history involved (I know, that means I really should go see The Artist, too). I thought perhaps it would have been forgotten by the Academy but apparently not. I hope it wins a lot.

Having Tintin not nominated for best animated film is a slap in the face, honestly, and the worst omission of this year. I think their push for Andy Serkis to be nominated for best supporting actor ruined it's chance, honestly. They kept touting how it wasn't really animation, but Andy's actual performance, and should be recognized, which I totally agreed with. But perhaps when the academy heard this they then said "well if they don't want to be treated like an animated film, then we won't treat it like one." Hence no nomination, because now in their eyes the film isn't animated but still performed by regular people like any other film. Of course they are missing the point here, completely. And this line of thinking surely does sound backwards enough to work for them. And of course, Andy Serkis didn't even get nominated anyway. Maybe from this point on no motion capture film will be nominated for Best Animated Film, and only the more "traditionally animated" ones, as seen on this year's list, will.

Another omission that will probably only be noticed from me is Super 8. Perhaps it is because it was personally a fantastic film in the same way Hugo was (another movie about movies, but in a very different way). I didn't expect it to be nominated much, perhaps just for effects (that train crash sequence had to be the most impressive scene I have seen all year), or sound, and possibly even score, but apparently not. I know the score to this film isn't anything amazing, but just from being on these forums it is VERY clear it has a lot of fans, far more than most of the other nominees, even Hugo. In fact, I think Super 8 is the score I play more frequently than any of the other score that came out this year. But as always, it doesn't take an Oscar to tell you that something is great, or not.

Indeed, I thought Coeur Volant from Hugo really deserved a nomination. It's a fantastic song and my favorite film song of the year!

That's one of the best scores line up in years. I enjoyed all the 5 nominees

Agreed! I expected The Artist, Hugo, and War Horse, of course (lol), but Tintin and particularly Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were big and very pleasant surprises! My extreme love for JW goes without saying, but the opening titles for TTSS captivated me from the get-go, and I just remember immediately thinking the score would be among my favorites for the year.

Again Harry Potter got snubbed at the Oscars for even nominations. I figured this would happen, even though many thought the Academy would give them more as a sort of "encompassing the entire series" theory. But honestly, I don't care about any other Oscar that series could win EXCEPT for Art Direction. Stuart Craig needs to win this Oscar for the Harry Potter series already. I believe he has been nominated to it every time a Potter film has come out, if I am not mistaken, but never won. He needs to win it this time, not just because his art direction was excellent in the final film, but because this is a case where he should be recognized for his incredible work on the entire series. Anyone else agree? Anyone think it might happen? If it was Potter's only Oscar ever, it'd be great and well-deserved.

Stuart Craig and Stephenie McMillan have been nominated four times for Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone, Goblet of Fire, and both Deathly Hallows films. I would love to see them receive the award and agree with your sentiments about their work being a wonderful constant throughout the series, but I think it'll go to one of the Best Picture contenders, in the end. That's how these things tend to go. Harry Potter's best chance is probably in Make-Up, but even that isn't a given.

best make up will go to the glen close movie for making her look like a dyke, because it doesn't make her look like a man. The illusion is the performance not the makeup.

As said, great to see 5 examples of PROPER film music nominated. And I'm still quietly hopeful for a WH win....

No. Disney has 59 nominations. We just need about 15 more Spielberg films in Williams' lifetime!

He also needs 5 more Oscars to be the most-WINNING composer of all time (and second most individual after Disney, who will probably never be surpassed with his 22).

Has it not been the case in the past where the two nominations cancell each other out? Like getting two noms is almost as good as a win anyway, in the Academy's eyes.

The same happened with Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha didn't it?

And Star Wars/CE3K and Schindler's List/JP. ;) But yes, I guess his chances are rather slim.

And Star Wars/CE3K and Schindler's List/JP. ;) But yes, I guess his chances are rather slim.

Jurassic Park was not nominated for an oscar.

I am reallly happy that he has two nominees, because both scores are really brilliant and would really deserve it. And the best thing: He has now more than Alfred Newman. Gratulations!