Music for the Big Screen: The Best of John Williams (All-Williams concert in London, November 8, 2012)

Omen II

After the tremendous success of the all-Williams concert at Cologne on November 1, 2010, the London Symphony Orchestra will repeat the program at Barbican Hall on November 8, 2012.

http://www.lso.co.uk/page/144/Music-for-the-Big-Screen-The-Best-of-John-Williams/467

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A few more details of the programme for this sold-out Djaarn Woolyums concert are now available at the LSO website. Both Escape from the City and Epilogue will feature from War of the Worlds, as well as a few other favourites that we know and love. Expect more details to be added to the LSO website nearer the time, as is their wont.

http://www.lso.co.uk...hn-Williams/467

:john:

Can't waaait! :D Do you guys think there's any chance for the pre-concert talk? That would be cool, and it happened on at least two LSO film music concerts in the last few years (although it's true that composers like Arnold, Jones and Doyle were in attendance, and no composers are planned to attend this concert ...)

• 1 month later...

Just a few words on this concert before I turn in for the night, as I know that there are one or two John Williams fans that post here - it was ASTOUNDINGLY good! Yet again, :worship: to the LSO, but even by their own high standards the musicians really excelled this evening.

If you fancy a butcher's at the programme, you can download it by clicking on the link in the original post. The suite from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was one of many highlights, for the record consisting of The Adventures of Mutt, Call of the Crystal and A Whirl Through Academe, the latter played live to the film sequence projected on a giant screen behind the orchestra (OMFG!). Yes, you read that right: the London Symphony Orchestra played a complex John Williams action cue from an Indiana Jones movie LIVE to picture in the Barbican Hall.

The orchestra and maestro Strobel quite rightly received a standing ovation at the end, leading to the three encores - A Prayer for Peace from Munich, the March from 1941 (too good for any adjectives I can think of at the moment) and, of course, the main title music from Star Wars. I would love to read what others thought of tonight's concert.