Scenes Williams scored that would have functioned better without music?

Hlao-roo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see

The whole bicycle chase and departure from E.T. I feel the emotions in this sequence would have been much more genuine without all this bombastic and manipulating music

Star Wars should not have any music at all

The prequels in general have way too much music. The conversation scenes in particular would have benefited from less music.

I don't know, Williams's music is the only thing that gets me through some of those scenes...

Prisoner of Azkaban: When Harry is talking to Professor Lupin in the woods just before he releases Hedwig and the seasons change. Even though I like the clarinet solo of the Window to the Past theme on the soundtrack, I think that in the actual film, that portion of the scene would work better without music. The characters are simply walking and talking, and I feel like the acting and screenwriting conveyed enough emotion to get the point across without the necessity of music. I'd have started the music where Hedwig's Theme enters in that scene.

Anthony Hopkins' courtroom speech in Amistad. The music just feels way too sentimental and obvious.

Yes this is one of the movies where the courtroom scenes might have benefitted from less score. The constant music in the background is gilding the lily a bit too much. A more judicious use of music and reserving it for key moments might have worked better

Lets see

The whole bicycle chase and departure from E.T. I feel the emotions in this sequence would have been much more genuine without all this bombastic and manipulating music

Star Wars should not have any music at all

Agreed!

The prequels in general have way too much music. The conversation scenes in particular would have benefited from less music.

I was about to say the same thing.

To which I would have added:

I don't know, Williams's music is the only thing that gets me through some of those scenes...

:o But surely that would have denied us 15 minutes of the greatest music JW ever composed!?

"Jerry, I can't remember the last objectionable film I scored. What do I do?"

Be grouchy, light yourself a strong Camel and then imagine how you work your ass of for decades and still are the bridesmaid to another, wildly more successful composer who gets all fancy prices and awards instead of you. Then clench your teeth together and write back in anger!

I cried because Williams told me that i should cry, not because of my own emotions. It's like I was violated.

:o But surely that would have denied us 15 minutes of the greatest music JW ever composed!?

I cried because Williams told me that i should cry, not because of my own emotions. It's like I was violated.

"Jerry, I can't remember the last objectionable film I scored. What do I do?"

<------- Very likely Johnny asked Jerry in here and Jerry answered "You're the more big shot, why should you asked me?" and promptly turns away.

But wasn't that exactly Spielberg's/Williams's intention? Without that music (which we all know eventually proceeded the very editing of the final scenes), it would just have been a bunch of kids seeing off a rubbery puppet, and fallen flat on it's arse! That's the magic of movies!

He was joking

He was joking

Oh right... :whistle: (climbs down from high horse)

Anthony Hopkins' courtroom speech in Amistad. The music just feels way too sentimental and obvious.

Agreed. I think it should have music of some sort, but more toned down, not those broad Americana things. Just hammers in the point too obviously.