Top 10 Musical Artists

Koray Savas

If Jay or Ricard would like to merge this with the Pop And Rock thread, that's fine by me. Due to boredom and a general desire to write, I wrote this essay/article of sorts on my favorite musical artists. I'm interested to see what some members have to say about their favorites, particularly Thor, Marian, and Charlie.

As of now, I've got 10-6 written. Feel free to read and comment.

I’ve discovered over the years that I gain more pleasure from a cohesive whole rather than favorite singles. I love a lot of the following albums discussed because of how the songs work and flow together. How the instrumentation and lyricism changes from start to finish. It has become the only way I listen to music, both film score and non-film score.

Upon the realization that compiling a list of one's favorite albums is impossible, I moved on to the next best thing. The following list contains not the greatest artists to ever produce music, but simply my favorites. An odd clash of 70s rock and contemporary alternative make for an interesting palette of some of the finest music to ever grace my ears.

10. THE ROLLING STONES

forty_licks_logo.jpg

Forty Licks is a tremendous compilation album, one that never has a dull moment. Regrettably I am completely unfamiliar with The Stones’ discography, which I hope to amend one of these days; but for now, this is what I revel in. The band has incredible range, with some of the best rock and roll around (“Gimme Shelter,” “Paint It, Black,” “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Start Me Up”) to gentler and calmer opuses (“Wild Horses,” “Tumbling Dice,” “Under My Thumb,” “Angie”). Jagger and Richards are without a doubt one of the finest singer/guitarist collaborators in the history of music.

9. TOM WAITS

Bone%20Machine.jpg61XCWMK7FBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Waits has had a long career, spanning many albums. I have only recently begun to delve into his discography, but what I’ve found is nothing short of brilliant. Favoring his more tribal and gritty sound, Bone Machine, Real Gone, and Bad As Me are an impressive “trilogy” of truly dark and twisted fantasies. He puts a lot of focus on rhythm and vocals, fueling his rather beautiful and haunting lyrics with a lot of raw power.

8. THE BEATLES

010BeatlesWhite.jpg61Qd-GGox9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What is there to say about The Beatles that hasn’t already been said? They are one of, if not the most, influential band ever. The White Album comes out on top as my favorite album. Disc 1 works tremendously on its own, providing some of their less popular tunes, but in such a wonderful, ever-changing way. They cover a lot of different genres of music here. Disc 2 is a little shaky in terms of an album, but it contains my favorite Beatles song, “Helter Skelter.” I can’t count the number of times I’ve played this on full blast.

7. THE CAT EMPIRE

51Y%2B3qfSFOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51VVKYHn5IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I discovered this dynamic band through one song, sent to me by a friend. I wasn’t instantly hooked, but the music was so different and unique that I needed to hear more. That song was “Sly” off of their Two Shoes album, which would inarguably end up on my Top 10 album list if I did create one. The Cat Empire cannot be pinned into a single genre, their music is an organic blend of rock, ska, jazz, hip-hop, and world. Their tunes have a delicious splash of Middle Eastern and Cuban influences, while the band originates from Australia. Two Shoes is an eloquent and powerful journey of an album. “Two Shoes” and “Miserere” are the highlights, the latter being one of my favorites songs; and one that never fails to tear me down and immediately bring me back up. Their following album, So Many Nights, is equally brilliant. Their latest, Cinema, is a different venture altogether, but a worthy one at that.

6. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND

s300_5c32329ef8194974ae7777e7a94afe24.jpg41TBKNZK83L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another one of my favorite albums was brought to me by The Velvet Underground. Their debut with Nico as vocalist is an okay listen. Not particularly my cup of tea, but what the band evolved into, is amazing. White Light/White Heat is an outstanding work of art. “The Gift” is genius. Spoken word lyrics paired with an in-your-face rumble of guitar and drums. Lyrics out the left speaker, music out the right. Velvet’s recording techniques really make them stand out from the other bands I listen to. Their lack of fear of out-of-tune instruments and imperfect recordings shines gloriously on album. “Sister Ray” is 17 and a half minutes of pure rock and roll.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting list. I'm sure Williams will be #1. ;)

Here's my top 10 list, although it changes all the time:

1. John Williams

2. Camille Saint-Saens

3. Philip Glass

4. Leonard Bernstein

5. Rodgers and Hammerstein

6. Peter Tchaikovsky

7. Danny Elfman

8. Alan Menken

9. Dimitri Shostakovitch

10. James Newton Howard

James Horner would probably be somewhere low on the list - I love listening to his music, but after becoming aware of how dishonest he is I just cannot conjure up enough respect to rank him.

Unfortunately I don't consider myself to be an expert on any of these artists (JW excluded). With the exception of JW my collection has been expanding towards lots of different artists rather than a few central ones, so I think it'll take a few years before I'll be able to make a confident top 10 list.

Interesting so far Koray...and sorta funny that I popped in here, since I just got an assignment yesterday for an arrangement for vocalist of Tom Waits' "The Briar and the Rose." Nice chart.

1 - John Williams

2 - Sergei Prokofiev

3 - Richard Wagner

4 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

5 - Modest Mussorgsky

6 - Jerry Goldsmith

7 - Elliot Goldenthal

8 - Bernard Herrmann

9 - David Byrne

10 - Mark Knopfler

I could have also included Alan Menken, Stephen Sondheim, Miklos Rozsa, Dimitri Shostakovich, Danny Elfman, David Bowie, Mark Hollis, Alex North, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Richard Strauss, Toru Takemitsu

Twenty essential composers: Ludwig van Beethoven, Elmer Bernstein, Aaron Copland, Fryderyk Chopin, Claude Debussy, Georges Delerue, George Gershwin, Alberto Ginastera, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Scott Joplin, Henry Mancini, Basil Poledouris, Sergei Prokofiev, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Igor Stravinsky, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Franz Waxman, John Williams, Ralph Vaughan Williams

Other artists/song-writers: Burt Bacharach, Enya Brennan, Dave Brubeck, Paul Butterfield, Eric Clapton, Tracy Chapman, Duke Ellington, Vince Guaraldi, Michael Gungor, Carole King, Tom Lehrer, Bobby McFerrin, Loreena McKennitt, Ron Sexsmith, Paul Simon, Suzanne Vega, Muddy Waters

(Known primarily as) Performing artists: Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Alison Krauss, Yo-Yo Ma, Gabriela Montero, Mark O'Connor, Itzhak Perlman

My own list:

1. John Williams

2. Jerry Goldsmith

3. Elmer Bernstein

4. Ennio Morricone

5. Bernard Herrmann

6. Hans Zimmer

7. The Beatles

8. Sherman Brothers

9. Randy Newman

10. Andre Previn

My own list:

1. John Williams

2. Jerry Goldsmith

3. Elmer Bernstein

4. Ennio Morricone

5. Bernard Herrmann

6. Hans Zimmer

7. The Beatles

8. Sherman Brothers

9. Randy Newman

10. Andre Previn

Those are wrong.

My own list:

1. John Williams

2. Jerry Goldsmith

3. Elmer Bernstein

4. Ennio Morricone

5. Bernard Herrmann

6. Hans Zimmer

7. The Beatles

8. Sherman Brothers

9. Randy Newman

10. Andre Previn

Those are wrong.

Hey, this is my own list. Make your own. :pfft:

In no particular order:

Paul McCartney, Ryuichi Sakamoto, John Williams, Philip Aaberg, Vangelis, Anthony Phillips, Stravinsky, Michael Hedges, Joni Mitchell, Radiohead, Norah Jones, ....

Alex

I think I would need to make separate lists for this -- one for rock/pop, one for electronic, one for classical, one for film music etc.

But I have a suspicion that Koray was looking more for Top 10 in the first of those categories, so here goes:

1. SUPERTRAMP

Completist. Loved em ever since I was a kid, the mix between catchy melodies, blues and prog rock.

2. THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT

Completist. The greatest concept album artists of all time, with some fantastic goosebump ballads by the late Eric Woolfson.

3. PINK FLOYD

Completist. What's there to say? I believe I share this favourite with many others here.

4. OINGO BOINGO

Completist. Obviously because of the Elfman connection, but I've since grown fond of them regardless, the mix of ska, brass sections and energy.

5. RAMMSTEIN

Completist. Loved them ever since I first heard them in LOST HIGHWAY. Huge, gothic metal with a satirical twist.

6. 10CC

Eclectic and "unstable" music that goes this and that direction, perfect 'art rock'.

7. A-HA

One of the best synth pop bands of the 80's, and from my own country!

8. ELTON JOHN

Again with some brilliant concept albums back in the day, beautiful melodies and old-fashioned rock'n'roll side by side.

9. MANFRED MANN'S EARTHBAND

Gotta love the Moog riffs and prog rock funkiness, even though some of their greatest hits are covers of other artists' songs.

10. THE BEACH BOYS

No one does harmony as well as these guys.

Or something like that.

In no particular order:

Paul McCartney, Ryuichi Sakamoto, John Williams, Philip Aaberg, Vangelis, Anthony Phillips, Stravinsky, Michael Hedges, Joni Mitchell, Radiohead, Norah Jones, ....

Alex

Anthony Phillips? The guy from Genesis? What do you think of "1984"? Do you like any other solo Genesis? Tony banks? MIke Rutherford?

Away from the wonderful world of soundtracks, it tends to be a bit of a movable feast, but here goes:

1 Rush

= 1 Queen

Genesis

Yes

Pet Shop Boys

X.T.C.

The Beatles

Level 42

Pat Metheny (group, or solo - I don't mind)

Frank Zappa (EVERYONE has to listen to "Joe's Garage" at least once in their life!)

Larry Fast/Synergy

Steve Hackett

peter gabriel

Tangerine Dream

Jean Michel Jarre

That's enough to be going on with.

Kudos for mentioning Jarre, Richard. That inspired me to do this Top 10 on my favourite electronica artists too:

1. JEAN MICHEL JARRE

Completist. There's nothing like him -- from extreme avantgarde stuff to almost pop tunes. I've been to 5 concerts with him as well!

2. JUNO REACTOR

Completist. Best goa/psytrance gig ever! Their use in MATRIX was inspired, but I'm a bigger fan of their studio albums.

3. VANGELIS

Not everything, but when he's on, he's really on. Favourite album is L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX, followed by BLADE RUNNER (or vice versa).

4. TANGERINE DREAM

I can be engrossed by their experimental 70's stuff, but really find myself digging their more popular 80's things more.

5. PAUL OAKENFOLD

Not only a legendary DJ & remixer, but a brilliant producer and composer as well. BUNKKA was a superb proof of that. Love his house stuff more than the trance.

6. INFECTED MUSHROOM

Semi-completist. More excellent goa/psytrance, my favourite of the electronica genres, probably.

7. KRAFTWERK

They've got lyrics as well, but there's no getting around them. Very "German" and lean style.

8. SHPONGLE

More downtempo, but some beautiful ambient textures.

9. UNDERWORLD

Mixes indierock with hardcore beats.

Is a top 25 also fine?

1) John Williams

2) Antonín Dvorák

3) Sergei Prokofiev

4) Erich Wolfgang Korngold

5) Richard Strauss

6) Gustav Mahler

7) Gustav Holst

8) William Walton

9) Leonard Bernstein

10) Dmitri Shostakovitch

11) Sergei Rachmaninoff

12) Giacomo Puccini

13) Pjotr Ilyich Tschaikovsky

14) Arnold Schoenberg

15) Béla Bartók

16) Camille Saint Saëns

17) Edward Elgar

18) Jerry Goldsmith

19) Richard Wagner

20) Witold Lutoslawksi

21) Einojuhani Rautavaara

22) Igor Stravinsky

23) Darius Milhaud

24) George Gershwin

25) Emanuel Chabrier

Film composers separately:

1) John Williams

2) Erich Wolfgang Korngold

3) Jerry Goldsmith

4) Elmer Bernstein

5) Maurice Jarre

6) Dmitri Tiomkin

7) Victor Young

8) David Raksin

9) Max Steiner

10) Jerome Moross

11) Anton Profes

12) Wojciech Kilar

13) Ennio Morricone

14) John Barry

15) Sergei Yevtushenko

16) Marc Shaiman

17) Michael Convertino

18) Edward Shearmur

19) Ilan Eshkeri

20) Miklos Rosza

21) Bernard Herrmann

22) David Arnold

23) Brian Tyler

24) Andrew Lockington

25) James Horner

I've never been able to put classical composers next to pop/rock next to electronic etc., as I see many do here. I feel the point of comparison is too difficult. Then I'd rather make lists within the same general area.

Musical heroes are musical heroes, Thor. Why always the need for labeling? We wouldn't do it if this thread was about painters and writers, now do we?

Musical heroes are musical heroes, Thor. Why always the need for labeling? We wouldn't do it if this thread was about painters and writers, now do we?

Definitions and specification lie at the core of human communication. Otherwise, people would talk past each other all the time.

I don't have a problem with other people mixing their musical heroes across genres and styles and whatnot. But I couldn't really do that myself, at least not after some serious pontification. I mean, how would I compare John Williams with Beethoven with Supertramp with Juno Reactor etc., and put them in the same list? I like them all for different reasons. My passion for Supertramp is just as big as that for Williams, for example, so it wouldn't be fair to put one at no. 1 and the other at no. 2. They're both number 1's in their different areas.

Of course you like them for different reasons. Just like if you made a list of your top 10 favorite film composers, you would like them each for different reasons as well.

It's possible to mix genres into a favorites list, you just don't want to do it.

Of course you like them for different reasons. Just like if you made a list of your top 10 favorite film composers, you would like them each for different reasons as well.

It's possible to mix genres into a favorites list, you just don't want to do it.

True, I don't want to, and I don't believe I could either, for reasons stated above.

Definitions and specification lie at the core of human communication. Otherwise, people would talk past each other all the time.

Well, the specification is 'musical artists'. I don't see why John Williams doesn't belong to it (or shouldn't be mentioned). If asked about favorite painters, I have no problem mentioning both Van Gogh and Rembrandt. You say "definitions and specification lie at the core of human communication, but believe me, most artists hate labels.

True, I don't want to, and I don't believe I could either, for reasons stated above.

Actually I agree with Thor. I find it even impossible to put Bach, Mozart and Beethiven into my fav classical composer list, they should on the top but they are absolutely incomparable to the 19thand 20th century composers.

EvenI can't make a mixed list of favorite classical and film composers (that's why I made two separate lists). It feels absolutely ridiculous (at least to me) to make a mixed list of favorite artists from over a time priod of 400 years including modern pop music.

Ironically, only John Williams feels like he fits in any list :)

My favorite pop music list would be something like this:

1) Queen

2) Elvis Presley

3) Nat King Cole

4) Frank Sinatra

5) Barbra Streisand

6) Celine Dion

7) Goldfrapp

8) Leonard Cohen

9) Sting

10) Andrea Boccelli

My favorite classical perfromers list would be something like this:

1) Hilary Hahn

2) Yo-Yo Ma

3) Angela Gheorghiu

4) Jean Yves Thibaudet

5) Vladimir Ashkenazy

6) Gil Shaham

7) Carlo Bergonzi

8) Renee Fleming

9) Herbert von Karajan

10) Leonard Bernstein

My favorite violinist list:

1) Hilary Hahn

2) Nathan Milstein

3) David Oistrakh

4) Gil Shaham

5) Salvatore Accardo

6) Leonid Kogan

7) Bartlomies Niziol

8) Tedi Papavrami

9) Cho Liang Lin

10) Itzhak Perlman

No, no Heifetz.

My favorite orchestra list:

1) London Symphony Orchestra

2) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

3) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

4) Los Angeles Philhamonic Orchestra

5) New York Philharmonic Orchestra

6) Chicago Symphony Orchestra

7) Boston Symphony Orchestra

8) Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

9) San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

10) Boston Pops Orchestra (because of their JW albums)

As long as we're doing lists all over the place, let me continue by listing my Top 10 classical composers too (and sorry to Koray for expanding this beyond the pop/rock genre he probably intended):

1. RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

No one does pastoral as well as him, except maybe John Williams.

2. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN

Extreme passion seeping through everything, from the lowkey to the powerfully majestic.

3. JOHAN SEBASTIAN BACH

Love the stringent, mathematical precision.

4. NICOLAI RIMSKY KORSAKOV

The master of orchestration!

5. FRANZ SCHUBERT

Unashamed romanticism

6. ANTON BRUCKNER

Another proponent of my beloved 'religious sound'

7. DIMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH

I prefer his tonal stuff to the wild dissonant material.

8. CLAUDE DEBUSSY

He was doing film music long before film, with vast, impressionistic, programmatic music.

9. HENRY PURCELL

Accesible, stately music from the restoration.

10. AARON COPLAND

Big, broad Americana music molded on folk traditions not only from America, but from all over the world.

This is by far the most difficult list, though, since I'm on a continous journey through the world of classical music, and composers may seep in and out of the Top 10 as I discover them. There are also lots of individual pieces, like Hovhaness' "Mysterious Mountain" that would be included on that alone, but whose output I'm rather unfamiliar with otherwise. There's also the issue of liking certain periods or styles rather than individual composers. I love religious music, for example, from all periods of music history. I've also decided to exclude film composers who have done concert music, like Williams and Goldenthal.

I think it's interesting that you pick Rimsky-Korsakov and Bruckner over composers like Strauss and Mahler (with much more refined and perfectioned orchestration) or even Wagner or Berlioz. I never understood why Rimsky Korsakov is so famous because of his orchestration, I think it's just because he is one of the few composers who wrote a book on the subject. Bruckner is more of an organ composer, and difficult to understand with all its contrasts.

I think it's interesting that you pick Rimsky-Korsakov and Bruckner over composers like Strauss and Mahler (with much more refined and perfectioned orchestration) or even Wagner or Berlioz. I never understood why Rimsky Korsakov is so famous because of his orchestration, I think it's just because he is one of the few composers who wrote a book on the subject. Bruckner is more of an organ composer, and difficult to understand with all its contrasts.

I love, love, love organ music, so that explains some of my Brucker fascination.

I just think there's something 'sparkling' (in lack of a better word) in Rimsky-Korsakov's orchestrations; they sound so fleshed-out and detailed, it's almost something to get lost in. But in a rather accesible style. I like Glazunov too (for much of the same reasons, since he was a 'student' of NRK), but he's not quite as refined. More a "pops" version of the Russian Romantic period.

I like Strauss, Wagner and Mahler, but in smaller doses. They're a bit too meaty and dense, especially over time. Berlioz is awesome, though. Love his "Nuits d'Été", for example.

I love, love, love organ music, so that explains some of my Brucker fascination.

I just think there's something 'sparkling' (in lack of a better word) in Rimsky-Korsakov's orchestrations; they sound so fleshed-out and detailed, it's almost something to get lost in. But in a rather accesible style. I like Glazunov too (for much of the same reasons, since he was a 'student' of NRK), but he's not quite as refined. More a "pops" version of the Russian Romantic period.

I like Strauss, Wagner and Mahler, but in smaller doses. They're a bit too meaty and dense, especially over time. Berlioz is awesome, though. Love his "Nuits d'Été", for example.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regard Wagner in the same league as Mahler and Strauss. Speaking of Berlioz, if one would pick a book on orchestration, pick his (and not Rimsky-Korsakov's), especially the edition improved (sic!) by Richard Strauss :)

Where is Alan Silvestri?

Somewhere in Hollywood I think.

Great orchestrator as he may be, his orchestrations didn't always do Mussorgsky's music any favors

In no particular order:

- John Williams

- The Beatles

- Jerry Goldsmith

- Miles Davis

- Dream Theater

- Symphony X

- Gustav Holst

- Ralph Vaughan Williams

- Richard Strauss

- J. S. Bach

- Ludwig van Beethoven

Closely followed by many more, such as Horner, Shore, Silvestri, de Meij, Maslanka, Arnold, Mahler, Conti, Morricone, Barry etc. etc.

Where is Alan Silvestri?

Silvestri Wineyard. Possibly behind an old, deeply abused kick drum.

My own list -- in no special order:

1. Jerry Goldsmith

2. Elmer Bernstein

3. Bernard Herrmann

4. Ennio Morricone

5. Basil Poledouris

6. Leonard Rosenman

7. Alan Silvestri (though pretty much noithing in ten or so years)

8. James Horner (though pretty much nothing in ten or so years)

9. Danny Elfman

10. Crap, I only got one spot left. I guess John Barry.

Hey, thanks Koray!

Film composers:

1. Jerry Goldsmith

>. John Williams

4. Danny Elfman

5. Elliot Goldenthal

6. Basil Poledouris

7. Claudio Simonetti and Goblin

8. James Horner

9. John Barry

10. Howard Shore

Other music:

1. Billie Holiday

2. Led Zeppelin

>. The Rolling Stones

4. Johnny Cash

5. Slayer

6. Leonard Cohen

7. Foo Fighters

8. Pearl Jam

9. Ramones

10. Carpenters

OK, good morning.....final list for me this time (even though there are other genres too, especially if you go to SUB-genres), top film composers:

1. JOHN WILLIAMS

Completist. Less so the big and boisterous action adventure music these days, and more the intimate dramas and the "religious sound".

2. DANNY ELFMAN

Completist. Mostly pre-1996 and post-2005. Not to keen on his big and dense scores with lots of counterpoint.

3. ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

Completist. Same as above, less the heavy stuff. I also have to be more in the mood for him these days than I used to.

4. HANS ZIMMER

Probably the one I'm listening to the most these days. Especially love power anthems and ethnic mode.

5. JERRY GOLDSMITH

I've sold off a lot of stuff, as I'm not as big as fan as everyone else. But still, when he's on, he's really on. Still have about 30 CD's out of an initial 70+.

6. JAMES HORNER

Few others, except maybe Williams, are able to get to the emotional core of a film more efficiently.

7. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Great with synths, but also orchestra. Brilliant moods.

8. ALAN SILVESTRI

Love his 80's synth things and orchestral scores from the 80's and 90's. Not too keen on his 2000's output.

9. BASIL POLEDOURIS

Old-school traditional, but still with certain modern sensibilities. Almost 'Slavian' in tone sometimes.

10. FRANZ WAXMAN

My favourite of the Golden Agers. Quite modern in tone compared to the others.

But again, these things vary a bit.

6. JAMES HORNER

Few others, except maybe Williams, are able to get to the emotional core of a film more efficiently.

I'm sorry to say, but Elmer Bernstein got Jimmy and even Johnny beat by more than a mile in that regard.

Not to me. Bernstein is good, but is often also a bit grating (especially with those cloppety-clop jazz ostinati). But TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is definitely in the same league.

Not to me. Bernstein is good, but is often also a bit grating (especially with those cloppety-clop jazz ostinati). But TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is definitely in the same league.

And FAR FROM HEAVEN & AGE OF INNOCENCE & THE BIRDMAN FROM ALCATRAZ & LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER & SUMMER AND SMOKE... Really you seem to be listening to a small bit from Elmer Bernstein cuz I may not be fond of Bernstein's jazzy score, but when he writes emotional scores, he brings them.

p.s. Plus, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS and his rejected scores from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GUNN and A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT....

5. THE BLACK KEYS

the_black_keys_chulahoma.jpg41oVo6EZ1WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I’m a big fan of musical duos, they have an edge over bands when it comes to instrumentation. Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney are the ultimate duo. Alternative rock heavily rooted in blues, you’ll find the best guitar riffs and drum beats here since Led Zeppelin. From the moment I heard “Tighten Up” on DC 101 a little over a year ago, I was instantly hooked. This is different. Since then I’ve purchased their entire discography. The band has an interesting musical evolution, but one that I’m not entirely sold on. The Big Come Up and Thickfreakness are albums to die for. Rubber Factory and Magic Potion are lesser albums, but have some amazing standouts. See “Grown So Ugly” off of Rubber Factory, which is essentially Zeppelin incarnate. Attack & Release, Brothers, and El Camino showcase a slow transition from that original sound to something more popish. The first in that line is superb. The second is one of the best produced in the past few years, but it’s too long. The last is almost an entirely different band in itself. I’ve read a lot of praise for El Camino but it just feels too mainstream for my tastes. You loose the unique instrumentation and power brought on with the pairing of guitar and drums. They added in another guitar, and constant back-up singers. The riffs became lighter and faster, versus the slow thick sludge of their earlier work. Then there's the awesome Blakroc, a collaboration hip-hop/rap album they helped write, perform, and produce with some reputable people in that genre (Mos Def, RZA, Wu Tang Clan). But what stands out the most of The Black Keys’ discography is their covers. “Grown So Ugly” is in fact a cover, not of Zeppelin so that comparison becomes an interesting one. My favorite album is Chulahoma: The Songs Of Junior Kimbrough, which is 28 minutes of blues bliss. Auerbach and Carney put such a great twist on older classics that really make it seem like a new composition. Does that make them more or less reputable, respectable? All I know is that these guys are one of the best out there today.

1) Hilary Hahn

There was a fabulous performance by Hilary Hahn of Prokofiev's violin concerto on BBC radio 3 yesterday, live from Edinburgh with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. You can hear it for the next week or so at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ection/p00b9xn8

Enjoy!

1) Hilary Hahn

There was a fabulous performance by Hilary Hahn of Prokofiev's violin concerto on BBC radio 3 yesterday, live from Edinburgh with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. You can hear it for the next week or so at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ection/p00b9xn8

Enjoy!

Thanks...but unfortunately not available in my area.

Ah, too bad MSM - I thought the BBC radio streams were accessible worldwide. Sorry!

:sadwavey:

Hopefully she will record the Prokofiev concerti some time soon.

Maybe it depends on the show.

Yes that would be nice...although I'd prefer more Bach from her!

And FAR FROM HEAVEN & AGE OF INNOCENCE & THE BIRDMAN FROM ALCATRAZ & LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER & SUMMER AND SMOKE... Really you seem to be listening to a small bit from Elmer Bernstein cuz I may not be fond of Bernstein's jazzy score, but when he writes emotional scores, he brings them.

p.s. Plus, DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS and his rejected scores from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GUNN and A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT....

Trust me, I've heard a LOT of Bernstein over the years, and he's close to my Top 10, but he's simply not in the same ball park as Horner in terms of consistency regarding 'emotional cores'. I connect really well to some of his stuff, not so much other things.

Trust me, I've heard a LOT of Bernstein over the years, and he's close to my Top 10, but he's simply not in the same ball park as Horner in terms of consistency regarding 'emotional cores'. I connect really well to some of his stuff, not so much other things.

Yeah, Bernstein's well above the ball park in terms of versatility and melodification of emotional scores.

5. THE BLACK KEYS

I’m a big fan of musical duos, they have an edge over bands when it comes to instrumentation. Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney are the ultimate duo. Alternative rock heavily rooted in blues, you’ll find the best guitar riffs and drum beats here since Led Zeppelin. From the moment I heard “Tighten Up” on DC 101 a little over a year ago, I was instantly hooked. This is different. Since then I’ve purchased their entire discography. The band has an interesting musical evolution, but one that I’m not entirely sold on. The Big Come Up and Thickfreakness are albums to die for. Rubber Factory and Magic Potion are lesser albums, but have some amazing standouts. See “Grown So Ugly” off of Rubber Factory, which is essentially Zeppelin incarnate. Attack & Release, Brothers, and El Camino showcase a slow transition from that original sound to something more popish. The first in that line is superb. The second is one of the best produced in the past few years, but it’s too long. The last is almost an entirely different band in itself. I’ve read a lot of praise for El Camino but it just feels too mainstream for my tastes. You loose the unique instrumentation and power brought on with the pairing of guitar and drums. They added in another guitar, and constant back-up singers. The riffs became lighter and faster, versus the slow thick sludge of their earlier work. Then there's the awesome Blakroc, a collaboration hip-hop/rap album they helped write, perform, and produce with some reputable people in that genre (Mos Def, RZA, Wu Tang Clan). But what stands out the most of The Black Keys’ discography is their covers. “Grown So Ugly” is in fact a cover, not of Zeppelin so that comparison becomes an interesting one. My favorite album is Chulahoma: The Songs Of Junior Kimbrough, which is 28 minutes of blues bliss. Auerbach and Carney put such a great twist on older classics that really make it seem like a new composition. Does that make them more or less reputable, respectable? All I know is that these guys are one of the best out there today.

Thanks for this Koray. I really want to check out their older albums now. I love Brothers and El Camino.

Anthony Phillips? The guy from Genesis? What do you think of "1984"? Do you like any other solo Genesis? Tony banks? MIke Rutherford?

I hate 1984.

This is way better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOp-ikAiZE&feature=related

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqO1azAoCQ&feature=related

Or this:

a5d9f0fe7717206025714ddf1784f7dc.jpg

5. THE BLACK KEYS

Thanks for this Koray. I really want to check out their older albums now. I love Brothers and El Camino.

No problem. I'm hoping tickets for their Verizon Center concert will drop into a more reasonable price range. I went to purchase them when they were first aired for sale and when I hit "checkout" they were sold out. Arctic Monkeys are opening for them, and they fall into my #4 spot. So in the end I'll most likely cough up the $100-$120 per ticket. Can't beat those two on one stage.