Williams office

Miguel Andrade

Some time ago, in a thread I don't recall anymore which was, we talked about this particular picture. I believe his was taken sometime in the late 90's, maybe around 1996 -- please note the book standing on the table... maybe something due to his work on "Rosewood" or "Amistad"?

Anyway, my first recollection of this picture was from an interview from 1999, around the time "Phantom Menace" was released.

post-173-0-16724300-1328483443_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool photo, I love seeing people's work places and "thinking" rooms.

Would be very fascinating to compare the home offices/offices of various composers. One of my all time favorite photographs is actually Joe McNally's of Leonard Bernstein working at his piano in his home office...

Tk3gN.jpg

There is so much atmosphere in the image. You can almost taste the fresh air coming into the room through that door as Leonard is working. Probably a top-5 favorite photo of mine.

A grande aside: a plug to McNally's other works, for those interested in photography: http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/

An HDR (high dynamic range) photo of Hans Zimmer's Office....

hvWbf.jpg

To be fair it doesn't look quite *as* repulsive in a non-HDR, normal everyday photo:

IC6zA.jpg

It does make me wonder though, as red has been psychologically linked with more aggressive tendencies in a some studies, if the room inspires the more masculine and aggressive sound of Zimmer's music?

Thanks for sharing, Miguel! He looks pretty weary in that photo, probably a result of it being taken in the middle of a writing period. Blu, the photo of Leonard Bernstein is really neat too. I hope he eventually got a taller stool.

For those curious, this is a free eBook version of the book on Williams' coffee table:

The Book of American Negro Poetry

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_book_of_American_Negro_poetry.html?id=mx7aehWGOtYC

For those curious, this is a free eBook version of the book on Williams' coffee table:

The Book of American Negro Poetry

http://books.google....id=mx7aehWGOtYC

Yeah, I noticed that book.

I wonder if the picture was taken while he was working on SEVEN FOR LUCK? Perhaps AMISTAD or ROSEWOOD, as Miguel says?

IC6zA.jpg

It does make me wonder though, as red has been psychologically linked with more aggressive tendencies in a some studies, if the room inspires the more masculine and aggressive sound of Zimmer's music?

Cool office. But i prefer JW's office. It's much more cosy.

Strange that Williams office does not seem to have any video devices.

He has a seperate room for that.

Strange that Williams office does not seem to have any video devices.

Williams has said in several interviews that he views the film in a room near his office, and then writes the music from memory in most cases.

Zimmer's always said he tends to procrastinate with all his scores and it takes him forever to get his themes down...looking at his "office", I can see why ;)

But he does have a cool office, I just wouldn't be able to get any composing done in it if I were him!

Zimmer's office is awesome. Though I'd imagine it might get old pretty quickly. I wouldn't want to be in such a dark room for very often, I need something more cheerful.

Based on this quote from the "80 Reasons why JW is the Man" article, I would guess that the poetry book was for Amistad.

The film's big anthem is Dry Your Tears, Afrika, a life affirming setting of a 1967 poem by Bernard Dadie that mixes 50 authentic voices with strident brass.

Some time ago, in a thread I don't recall anymore which was, we talked about this particular picture. I believe his was taken sometime in the late 90's, maybe around 1996 -- please note the book standing on the table... maybe something due to his work on "Rosewood" or "Amistad"?

Anyway, my first recollection of this picture was from an interview from 1999, around the time "Phantom Menace" was released.

There is another pic from his office, from the same point of view, with Williams and I believe Masayo Ishigure (soloist from Memoirs of a Geisha).

Great pictures guys! :) I wonder what music Spielberg and Williams are looking in the one Maurizio posted.