very Satisfactory John Williams OST's

Most members (not Thor) dislike John Williams tendency to offer his OST in a best listening experience. No hardly ever the complete score, in a non-chronological order, with tracks combined from different cues edited together.

There are some that function very well in this fashion.

Star Wars

At the time a 2 LP album must have looked very luxurious. The music flows wonderfully well, even though it is not strictly chronological, somehow the track order makes sense in a dramatic and narrative way.

Jaws

Actually a complete re-recording. With some parts completely re-orchestrated, expanded upon, tightened up, all in the search for a well balanced listening experience. And it works. Even though it's a short album, I never feel I am missing something.

E.T.

A hybrid. Part original film tracks, part re-recording. Just under 40 minutes, but all the most important stuff is there. And the friendship between E.T. and Elliot is highlighted in a beautiful album track (E.T. and ME). The complete score is also wonderful, but the OST has the same impact, while being twice as short.

Born On The 4th of July.

This is a very good score, but very repetitive in nature. The complete bootleg is too much of a good thing for me, far too much. I don't know if it was Williams decision to have such a short selection, but it works.

Any others?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Witches of Eastwick. Program out the repeat of the End Credits in track 2, and you have a wonderful 45-minute listening experience. There's not much else from the film that you need.

This probably doesn't count, but I prefer the Anthology discs for ESB and ROTJ.

JAWS 2 I THE FURY I THE RIVER I MONSIGNOR I BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY I HOME ALONE I ROSEWOOD I JURASSIC PARK I SABRINA I THE EIGER SANCTION I THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK I TINTIN I WAR HORSE

and, from the bottom of my heart, CINDERELLA LIBERTY. The LP alternates between bluesy love theme and funky shit like NEPTUNE'S BAR. It's a 70's godsend most of the orchestral bigots cannot grasp, sadly.

As you said, I think Williams is a master album producer as well as a master composer. He has never really gotten it wrong, IMO. So I would basically list ALL his albums where he has served as producer as 'satisfactory'.

That being said, I do think the Arista box CD's of STAR WARS are worthwhile alternatives to the previous LP programs (Charles Gerhardt albums etc.). So that's about the only case where I think both the OSTs and the expanded CD's are 'satisfactory'. Never liked the RCA 2CD sets, though. Those were too much.

Empire Strikes Back, E.T, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Far and Away, Far and Away, Memoirs of A Geisha are just a few of my favourite OST presentations. But as Thor points out, generally all of Williams' releases tend to make great OST presentations thanks to Williams formatting.

Temple of Doom is not so good. ROTJ is very bad.

Oops. I was thinking of the Concord "complete" release (which I thought did a fantastic job with Temple of Doom) when I was putting on the list. And I agree, ROTJ is pretty bad.

Most of them pre-2000s are good or flat out great. But I think part of the reason the more recent OSTs like Star Wars, Harry Potter and A.I. sting so much is because we've become really spoiled with expanded and complete versions.

Really, Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Supes and Raiders were perfect the way they were in album presentation.

The TOD OST was kinda heartbreaking because it's such a mammoth and entertaining score condensed into a 40 minute suite.

Still, I played the hell out of that thing until late '08.

I think that War Horse is one of Williams' best OST presentations, and I don't think that will change once the newness has worn off. I'm not so sure I would get rid of any of the edits. There aren't any noticeable ones.

Other than that I'll add Far and Away, SpaceCamp, Memoirs of a Geisha, Saving Private Ryan. While the ET OST has some important stuff, I'll never forgive the awful edits in "Abandonded and Pursued."

My bad, but it's not just an alternate recording, the music is entirely reworked.

It is, but the placement of the aforementioned boom-tish stands out as being by far the biggest change/improvement...

John Williams OSTs that best represent the entire score / leave off the least amount of highlight cues/bits:

SpaceCamp

War Horse

The Fury

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

The Accidental Tourist

Munich

Most of his "non blockbusters" scores have fine OST albums

Terminal, Geisha , Munich that sort of thing

All his blockbuster OST's have nasty micro edits, repeated music or missing clear highlight cues . Indy, Star Wars, Harry Potter...

The only "fairly good" blockbuster OST's within the context of filling 1 c.d are AotC and Chamber of Secrets

Empire Strikes Back 2-LP. A wonderful presentation, it's a shame Jedi didn't get the same treatment.

I want that.

It was only released in America and Japan, Europe got the single LP. I bought mine on eBay.

Empire Strikes Back 2-LP. A wonderful presentation, it's a shame Jedi didn't get the same treatment.

I want that.

Me too. It's a dream of mine that they rerelease the original albums.

The Original Temple of Doom was fine because it was all we had. It was before everyone was all anal about every last bit of music.

It's well presented on the album, sounds great. The 2008 rerelease was a clusterfrack as it was not all it should have been. It cheated us from having that last glorious presentation. Instead they put it on two separate cd's.

The Original Temple of Doom was fine because it was all we had. It was before everyone was all anal about every last bit of music.

no it wasn't ToD and RotJ was always inadequate even back in 1984 when I listened to the OST. I was so dissapointed

Maybe YOU never noticed but I did

no it wasn't ToD and RotJ was always inadequate even back in 1984 when I listened to the OST. I was so dissapointed

Maybe YOU never noticed but I did

Like I said I'm not anal about ever last second of music, you on the other hand obsess over it.

Did we want more, perhaps, but the original soundtrack for Temple of Doom did provide most of the highlights, the best music from the movie is there, and it sounded fine. Especially since it was on that borderline record/cd transition era.

the original soundtrack for Temple of Doom did provide most of the highlights

No it didn't

yes it did, I said most, perhaps not all but again it's that anal need for every last second, which is a borderline sickness.

Anything Goes, Willies theme shortrounds theme, mine car chase, slave children march and the best endtitles of the 4 films.

Yes, the OST had some performances of those themes. But it only contained ONE performance of Mola Ram's Theme, and it was a heavily modified version of it (during the mine car chase). None of the straightforward presentations of his theme were included. The stones theme was COMPLETELY absent from the OST.

Also missing was the amazing choral work for him taking the stones, the percussion-based bridge cue (still unreleased), the terrific Anything Goes band performance during the Nightclub Escape (still unreleased), and the amazing chunk of action music in between the slave children's crusade and the mine car chase. A 60 minute album could have covered all the highlights, but the 40 minute album did not.

It was also lacking several beautifully subdued perfomances of some themes (Pankot, Slave Children) that added a lot of ambiance to the score, and if I remember correctly, had the wrong end credits.

Damn, I just realized how much I like that one. JW scored the shit out of it.

There's no such thing as the wrong end credits. The OST simply had the first 32 seconds of "Return To The Village" segue directly into "End Credits" (26 seconds into the piece), rather than the full version of both pieces. So the rest of "Return To The Village" remained unreleased until the Concord Box, and the first 26 seconds of "End Credits" remain unreleased to this day

The Temple of Doom album isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong, I love that entire score as well. When it comes to what Williams chooses to represent the score outside of the film, I'm typically satisfied. There are some exceptions, mostly edits in modern scores. By all means, get every last second out there. But I still come back to the old albums and get at least the same amount of enjoyment as the expanded scores.

The original Temple of Doom album just missed out on waayy too much good material, but the expanded release was a vast improvement.

I agree that the OST missed way too much, as noted above. But honestly, I think it's because the score just had SO MANY great moments all the way through, and so many different themes, much more than most scores did back then and today! Hell, even the "water" had a theme (not present on the OST either)! It's really impossible to make a OST for that film that is fully satisfying with the time constraints of something like an LP.

Granted, if you had never seen the film and not known of any of the missing music, I can see the LP as being a very "fun" listen. However, with a presentation from the OST to the 08 Concord release, it goes from being "fun" to more like a "masterpiece", which I think the score is ONE of his masterpieces, and that's even with material still missing, as we all know. I don't think any OST track should have been replaced with another to make for a well balanced listen, honestly. So I can see why it is missing some of the "better" tracks it could have chosen instead.