War Horse vs. Far and Away, The Patriot, and Jane Eyre

Josh500

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer, and why?

• Far and Away
    • War Horse
  2. 2. Which score do you prefer, and why?

• The Patriot
    • War Horse
  3. 3. Which score do you prefer, and why?

• Jane Eyre
    • War Horse

Well?

Don't forget to tell us why you think so too!

I would say:

Far and Away > War Horse

The Patriot < War Horse

Jane Eyre < War Horse

Dunno, I really have a soft spot for Far and Away. Such wonderfully liberating, emotional, and ethnic music. One of JW's most underrated scores!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer War Horse to Far and Away, but that's not to say I don't love Far and Away! It really is a wonderful score with a lot of beautiful music, and the Irish/American West fusion in the second half is a really cool listen. The Land Race is an incredible cue - though I prefer the album version of it to the complete version. I really hope this score gets an expanded version one day, and I'm sure we'll get one from La La Land at some point. It's an obvious candidate!

War Horse I find to be more emotionally satisfying though, and a much more complete album experience.

I prefer War Horse to The Patriot as well. The Patriot isn't a bad score, but it doesn't really excite or move me like War Horse does. I don't hate The Patriot though, I think that a lot of the hate against it is somewhat out of place.

Jane Eyre is a score I enjoy more than War Horse. I don't think that it's really a good comparison though, because Jane Eyre is a much more personal film, not an epic like War Horse. It has the opportunity to explore characters in ways that War Horse does not. I think the themes are more interesting in Jane Eyre as well, and it achieves a higher level of beauty. It really is gorgeous.

Dunno, I really have a soft spot for Far and Away. Such wonderfully liberating, emotional, and ethnic music. One of JW's most underrated scores!

Far and Away is one of Williams' masterpieces. War Horse is not.

Jane Eyre is the best of the lot. I placed War Horse second because while I also mostly listen to selected highlights of it so far, it seems more cohesive and accomplished than Far and Away (I love bits and pieces of it, but I find it rather overrated as a whole). The Patriot has nice moments but doesn't belong here.

Higher. Way higher.

Hmmmm. Have you seen the TV-movie?

I haven't, so maybe I am missing something, but for me at least, all four are pretty much on the same level. But Far and Away is for me still No. 1 (out of these 4). Amazingly well-constructed and memorable themes, great and original orchestration, wonderfully emotionally satisfying as a whole, with the highlight being "The Land Race."

War Horse is all that too, except the themws aren't (IMO) quite as memorable, with the exception of the main theme. But that's not to say I don't consider this a masterpiece too. It most certainly is, at least for me.

Jane Eyre I would put pretty much on the same level as War Horse.

The Patriot would be No. 4.

Like FAR AND AWAY and THE PATRIOT, the film is mildly entertaining at best, but the score is something else. The main theme ranks up with his best themes, and the concert version of the finale (The Return) is an incredible piece of work that I would have no qualms naming John's best work.

Hmmm, well I generally tend to favor his more recent works over his scores from the 60s and 70s. So I might be slightly prejudiced in that respect. ;)

That's what I am talking about! Wow. Is there any scene in War Horse that's as emotionally and musically satisfying?

Far and Away over War Horse - because of the wealth of themes, especially the cues County Galway, The Land Race, Fighting for Dough, Inside the Mansion... well probably the entire album. War Horse is not as strong, thematically, and not as divers.

Patriot over War Horse - I love snare drums!

War Horse over Jane Eyre - I prefer epic over 'rural' music.

Far and Away beats War Horse because as Ricard stated, it's one of his masterpieces. It's endlessly listenable and thematically complex. Not to mention coherent. War Horse's main theme isn't nearly as prominent as it should be.

Patriot beats War Horse. I have a "special connection" to this score. It's really what got me to being a John Williams fan.

War Horse beats Jane Eyre. I'm not really a fan of Jane Eyre.

Far and Away > War Horse

As you said, I have always been fond of Far and Away . One of my favourite Williams score for its lush beauty and its great Irish flavour, its the superior score in my eyes.

War Horse > The Patriot

The Patriot is a good score, but doesn't really have the fresh sound of War Horse. You can hear the previously used Williams techniques in The Patriot. War Horse manipulatively has a fresh sound and it has far more colour with the gorgeous flute solos, the pastoral English music, and the dense action.

War Horse > Jane Eyre

Two great scores, but Jane Eyre falls short of beating War Horse. War Horse is just a greater and more enjoyable adventure in my eyes, but both scores come VERY close.

I'm too unfamiliar with the other three to judge.

Get Far and Away... now! ;)

Patriot beats War Horse. I have a "special connection" to this score. It's really what got me to being a John Williams fan.

I might have that "special connection" with Far and Away... I went through some rough times for a while, and always, in the background, as it were, I could hear "County Galway, June 1892," "Leaving Home," "The Land Race" etc.

• 7 months later...

I like Far And Away.

I like what I have heard of the Patriot

I kinda liked Jane Eyre..

War Horse has some great themes, and great action music, however, some of the great statements of the War theme in the first portion of the score are sadly missing.

I dunno.

War Horse > Far and Away and Jane Eyre. I rediscovered F&A recently, but i still find some of the lower key material a bit uneventful. I find it more a good score with some superb highlights. Jane Eyre sometimes ventures too far into the classical realm for me. It's good music - I just don't get as much out of it.

War Horse vs The Patriot is harder. His opening Patriot concert piece is one hell of a piece of music, and the score has some tremendous highlights, but maybe has some moments here and there which feel slightly filler (mostly earlier on). War Horse doesn't do as much with its themes, but there's almost never a boring moment in its indicental moments.

I pick War Horse > The Patriot. Thematic integration is a bonus in my book - the score as a standalone listen is more consistently entertaining.

Absolutely agree with this.

Liberating is a good work to describe it, especially for these themes ( which I love )

917816651.jpg

446624442.jpg

The Land Race ( full 12min version ), is absolutely breathtaking.

Even more introvert tracks like "inside the mansion" are masterful. Far and Away has it all including the glorious 90ies JW sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick thought:

if you're a fan of the JW score for 'War Horse' you might well enjoy Richard Rodney Bennett's suite of music adapted from his score to the film 'Far From the Madding Crowd'.

JC

the other two...are not.

:blink:

Have we been listening to the same scores, or are you referring to another War Horse and Far and Away by another John Williams (probably the guitarist)?

I think Jane Eyre was absolutely beautiful. I don't care what presentation it was in since I never saw the film, so I don't have any preconceived notion of how the music should flow onscreen.

Its not that its not C&C that makes me not like it, its just I don't like it, but I bet if it was the original recordings, and was complete, that I would like it better.

the other two...are not.

:blink:

Have we been listening to the same scores, or are you referring to another War Horse and Far and Away by another John Williams (probably the guitarist)?

Be assured that the scores I have been listening to, are by some American composer called John Williams.

To be honest, I've not heard "War Horse" outside of the film, despite owning the CD for almost 10 months. I just haven't gotten around to listening to it, yet.

"Far And Away", I find rather bland, despite such tracks as "The Land Race". It goes in one ear, and straight out of the other.

"Jane Eyre" I bought when it was re-issued on TER back in 1982. This was at a time when I was JW crazy! "E.T." was permanently on one side of my Sony Walkman ("Poltergeist" being on the other side"), and I was still listening to "Empire...", "Raiders...", "Superman", "1941", etc, so I guess that "Jane Eyre" somehow "rubbed off " on me. It was part of a much bigger whole. I need to revisit "F+A", and "WH", perhaps with the latter, I will discover a late-flowering excellence.