New video interview of JW remembering Raymond Scott

PongHit

From the Raymond Scott site:

Movie music maestro John Williams turns 80 years-old today. To celebrate, I'm releasing never-before-seen footage of Williams remembering Raymond Scott.This amateur footage was shot by me, Jeff Winner, while Stan Warnow (Scott's son) and I interviewed John Williams at the Tanglewood estate and music venue in Lenox and Stockbridge, Massachusetts, on August 4th of 2008. Some of Stan's footage was used in the new feature-length, award-winning documentary film, "DECONSTRUCTING DAD," but this segment has never been seen before. WATCH HERE:

http://raymondscott....-watch-new.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for posting! I don't think I've ever seen Williams talk about his childhood, so this is a really neat interview. It seems like Williams still had more to say when the video ends--is there any chance that material will be posted at some point? :)

Cool.

I'd love to see Williams do one of those 'TV legends' interviews that guys like Goldsmith etc were on. Just talking about his obscure past for hours on end,

'provoking' forth information that may be long lost.

• 7 years later...

I'll treat this a general Raymond Scott thread (btw I love this interview and hadn't seen it before).

A random thought I had while listening to a Raymond Scott compilation: I know Williams' father played drums on the great "The Toy Trumpet."  I also know that an orchestral arrangement of that tune was a favorite of Arthur Fiedler's to play with the Boston Pops.  I thought wouldn't it be neat if Williams had also conducted it with the Pops at some point, maybe for a holiday concert, given his personal connection to the tune?

Well, from a search at the Boston Symphony archives (https://archives.bso.org/), the piece was conducted by Fiedler in 1964 and then not played again by the Pops until Keith Lockhart resurrected it for the December 2000 Christmas concerts.  Oh well!

Yes, that would indeed have been cool.

John Williams sr. released a couple of solo albums beyond the realms of Raymond Scott or other performers he worked with. I've yet to acquire them, but they're on my list.