BloodBoal

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you make a cake sacrifice to Our Lord John Williams while you were celebrating John-mas? I approve thy shrine and obvious devotion to the Master Brother Hedji.

Nice article! Although it would've been nice to see a few more modern works, it was still neat. Never thought I'd see Presumed Innocent on a "Best of" list from a major magazine!

A few tidbits that I found interesting:

fore starting Williams had restrictions imposed on him; it had to include an opening fanfare to be played by herald trumpets and it needed to cut into bite-sized pieces that could work as stings to bookend ad breaks.
The film's big anthem is Dry Your Tears, Afrika, a life affirming setting of a 1967 poem by Bernard Dadie that mixes 50 authentic voices with strident brass.

The second one suggests that the picture posted of JW in his office with the book of "Negro poetry" was during Amistad.

• 1 year later...

I just noticed this video that they linked to that I hadn't seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZVJ5a5dMQ

It is John Williams and Steven Spielberg talking about the music for the Indiana Jones films; quite interesting really, if you haven't seen it before.

I especially like Spielberg's comment on the Nuking the Fridge scene and how perhaps it didn't work so well. :P

But what is he going on about on the number of times the Raiders March is stated in the films?

According to Spielberg, Temple of Doom contains the least statements due to its darker nature, but Last Crusade had a lot again.

But I remember ToD having quite a LOT of statements, some of them truly epic as well, while they decided to tone it down for Last Crusade.

Uh?

I just noticed this video that they linked to that I hadn't seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZVJ5a5dMQ

It is John Williams and Steven Spielberg talking about the music for the Indiana Jones films; quite interesting really, if you haven't seen it before.

I especially like Spielberg's comment on the Nuking the Fridge scene and how perhaps it didn't work so well. :P

It's been talked about before, here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20629

But what is he going on about on the number of times the Raiders March is stated in the films?

According to Spielberg, Temple of Doom contains the least statements due to its darker nature, but Last Crusade had a lot again.

But I remember ToD having quite a LOT of statements, some of them truly epic as well, while they decided to tone it down for Last Crusade.

Uh?

Your memory is correct, their memory is wrong. I think it was discussed in the thread.

Uh?

Your memory is correct, their memory is wrong. I think it was discussed in the thread.

It is funny as Spielberg himself states in the liner notes of TLC that they wanted to use Raiders March only at key points so it was more sparsely used. But I guess years have turned the anecdote on its head for him as well.

This was a fun list. I made it a point to listen to each piece (out of my own library) as I went through it.

And #81 for this year? "The Ballroom Scene" from WOE.

- Uni