'The Missouri Breaks' - Was there a release with the music as heard in the film?

Donna Lackluster

Hello, again!

One of my favorite John Wiliams soundtracks, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, has been released and re-issued on LP and CD countless times, on commercial albums and bootlegs. I simply love it, and the movie is very well made, too. Although it tends to be overlooked.

Clocking in at roughly 35 minutes, the score on album is pretty short. And the film version is very different to the album version (very similar to the situation with "The Eiger Sanction").

In 1999, Rykodisc released an album with 3 additional tracks from the movie version, which amount to almost 9 minutes of bonus music. The same thing was re-issued by Varese in 2004.

I always wondered, how could they release three bonus cues of the score as heard in the picture, when there really shouldn't be any access to stuff like that? I always wondered: Did they have a source the rest of the world doesn't know about? I think Lukas Kendall was involved in the production with this release. They also credit - inside the booklet - a guy called D. Toby Mountain for the additional tracks. He also gets credit for remastering, and they even give an email address: Toby Mountain@NDR

I tried to email the guy. Without effect.

My request is:

If anyone knows more about this situation, or should even have access to that stuff: Don't hesitate to contact me, or post your message here for all of us, please!

It's such a beautiful score. One of Williams's most underrated albums. Like so often with the true classics, I hated this music when I first listened to my worn-out lp. And that changed with every spin, to the better.

You can look it up here:

http://www.soundtrac...hp?movieid=9806

The situation is pretty strange. There seems to be an alternate 1976 lp edit, which features completely different track titles, but seems to be identical in content to the regular album. Maybe originally, they wanted to release a longer album in 1976 (containing film versions), but it didn't happen because the movie bombed? You know, like it happenbed with a lot of Barry albums in the same period. And some alternate film versions from that unproduced album remained?

Or is there a laser disc isolated score I don't know anything about?

Oh dear.

Will we ever be able to listen to the whole thing?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, my dear Thor!

Like many of the scores of that era, the music on that album was not exactly the same version that was used in the picture. Just compare both available Main Titles on the Rykodisc. Just like Eiger Sanction, Jaws, The Fury or Dracula, the album presentation differs from the movie version to a high degree. Apart from, of course, more music in the film than on the album, the album is up to 60 % rearranged stuff.

I love it!

And ... out of sight, out of mind ... is how I perceive it as well, usually. But knowing for sure that somebody did have access to the masters a couple of years ago, just makes me lust for more of it. More I say!

Love these opening riffs.-

Do you enjoy it, too, Thor?

Which rhymes with "tutor"...

I have a serious lady boner for this soundtrack.

Do you enjoy it, too, Thor?

Which rhymes with "tutor"...

The film, you mean?

Yeah, I like it. It stars my favourite actor Jack Nicholson, and to see him up against another favourite, Marlon Brando, is a treat enough in itself. To then have my favourite composer top it all off is a bonus indeed!

The score is a strange mix. On the other hand there is the Morricone styled off-kilter Western vibe to the score and then there is the almost jazzy/bluesy softer side with the love theme which sounds stylistically similar to Williams' A Man Who Loved Cat Dancing. Both scores also share sparse small ensemble scoring which makes them sound rather intimate. It is a different side of Williams' Americana which he brings back for Rydell's The River and later in the 90's in Singleton's Rosewood.

I do have a soft spot for the excellent main title music with that thumping bass line and bluesy harmonica solo, so evocative and bad-ass. The music also has a lot of humor for the rustlers which is fun as it counter balances the psychotic music for Brando's off-the-wall bounty hunter with those harpsichord and wind machine effects.

Damn, now I absolutely have to listen to this again once I get back home. :P

We can always hope that some label will release the film recordings one day. I would imagine the actual film score coupled with the OST CD would be a great set.

It's a good score, although some of the goofy harpsichord stuff ("Bizarre Wake") can get on my nerves if I'm not in the right mood. I need to listen to it more often.

I do have a soft spot for the excellent main title music with that thumping bass line and bluesy harmonica solo, so evocative and bad-ass. The music also has a lot of humor for the rustlers which is fun as it counter balances the psychotic music for Brando's off-the-wall bounty hunter with those harpsichord and wind machine effects.

Damn, now I absolutely have to listen to this again once I get back home. :P

Agreed!

I wish there were more Williams western scores in this vein...

Ah, I think this is one nobody has bothered to check in detail

Never been much discussion about this score

Among the least discussed scores are also A Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Cinderella Liberty, The River and Rosewood.

Stanley & Iris. Nobody ever mentions that. The movie was such a flop.

Yes this is another rarely discussed little gem of a score.

The most criminally under-discussed work by John Williams is Thomas and the King, because it's his only musical and it's quite good.

Another victim of the huge shadow Williams' more central works cast.

Indy4, it's funny that you like it, too. It has some wonderful songs in it. And some godawful songs, too. It's clearly a case of 50/50. Underrated as much as the John Barry musicals.

Okay, I'm going to buy some Yoga pants today. And when I'm back, I expect a link to the Expanded Missouri Breaks, right here. Thank you in advance!

Donna

Indy4, it's funny that you like it, too. It has some wonderful songs in it. And some godawful songs, too. It's clearly a case of 50/50. Underrated as much as the John Barry musicals.

Glad somebody on this board likes it (or at least part of it)! Out of curiosity, which songs are "godawful"? Some are better than other's for sure, but I wouldn't call any of them bad (although "'Tis Love" can get on my nerves sometimes). I'll concede that about a third of the lyrics suck.

Glad somebody on this board likes it (or at least part of it)! Out of curiosity, which songs are "godawful"? Some are better than other's for sure, but I wouldn't call any of them bad (although "'Tis Love" can get on my nerves sometimes). I'll concede that about a third of the lyrics suck.

I also like parts of it but it has not been on my JW priority list so I do not own the CD yet.

This is one of the stronger songs from "Thomas":

Pure Williams - the whole underscore. Just like Goodbye Mr. Chips, which is, I think, superior.

There's a tune from a forgotten Barry musical, Passion Flower Hotel, that I love, too: It's called "How much of the dream comes true". It's not even on youtube, but I've got the rare CD. Check it out!

There will be violins playing

Softly, somewhere, won't there?

I shall be flying through rainbows

Though I can't fly, shan't I?

And when he lowers his lips

To kiss me, surely

The world will be lost from view

How much of the dream comes true?

He'll be the prince

Out of every childhood story, surely

His arms could crush me

But he will hold me gently, won't he?

And as the dawn slowly opens one eye,

Won't I find life wonderful and new?

John Barry

Trever Peacock

Sung by Francesca Annis

I also find "Thomas and the King" great. I agree with indy4, while some songs aren't top notch, I wouldn't say they suck. Actually, my big problem is with the quality of the singing. Also, sometimes the lyrics fall a little short -- guess Williams worked with some better lyricist than James Harbert.

Well, I'm glad THOMAS AND THE KING has some fans. I utterly dislike it -- the melodies, the singing, the lyrics....it's grating, in much the same way as that godawful "Tevye's Dream" track from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (not a Williams track, I know, but still some of the same grating-ness).

Among the least discussed scores are also A Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Cinderella Liberty, The River and Rosewood.

Incancus, I LOVE "Cinderella Liberty" (but I suspect that most JWfaners know that, by now!). I will not have a single bad word said against it!!!

I love CINDERELLA LIBERTY too, especially the funky, SHAFT-like source cues...a side of Williams you don't often see. The film is OK, but not as good as MISSOURI BREAKS, IMO.

I'd love to have the underscore to Thomas and the King, without the singing

I wonder if recording sessions of that exist

The released CD is a rerecording, so they probably didn't include any of the non-vocal stuff.