Star Wars is dead!

Augie

Let's face it!

Run into the ground like the Walt Disney Company.

The last great George Lucas production was "Indiana Jones and

the Last Crusade". He got crazy back in 1990.

Steven Spielberg lost it as well. I've just seen "War Horse", and it

is, hands down, the worst movie Spielberg ever made. It looks and

feels like a Ron Howard flick. A bad RH flick - not a good one.

How can you expect John Williams to fire on all cylinders when their

movies have turned into crap? Think about it.

Augie

There's...some truth in this.

EDIT:

Let's face it!

Augie

Hold-on-a-back-the-fuck-up-a-minute!

You slippery fucker, don't be adding extra controversial shit to your opening posts AFTER people have already responded to them. Uncool, bro. You lose points.

The idea of Star Wars may be dead, but it's various ingredients live on - in other forms of cultural media. Darth Vader and his Imperial March, for example, live on to be seemingly eternally aped and sent up. That's something, at least...

Parody: the anti-ageing cosmetic surgery for long past-it movies.

Speaking of which, why is the banner on the main page Star Wars now? Anybody could claim to be a fan of John Williams and prove it by proclaiming their love for the music from Star Wars. Only a true JWFan can claim to love something more obscure than the man's most popular, global work! ;)

@Quint

I just added some things I had forgotten, some 8 minutes later. I didn't

expect this thread to explode that soon!

John Williams is the only survivor of the Lucas/Spielberg-Menace.

In the next 15 years, we will even see REMAKES of the original films.

We are talking about remakes of Jaws, Indiana Jones and the original

trilogy that become a reality.

And when THAT happens, Quint, we will be old, actually.

Well, I don't really share all this cynicism (if it is indeed intended seriously).

Williams is still great, Spielberg is still great (I hope LINCOLN will take him back to the excellent seriousness he showed with MUNICH a few years ago) and I have high hopes for Lucas now that he will allegedly return to more art film fare. And STAR WARS still rules!

And while WAR HORSE had a couple of flaws (mostly related to casting and narrative), it was still pure genius and brilliance whenever Spielberg got to do "his thang".

Yay to positive attitudes!!

In a way, Star Wars was already dead when they made the Ewok movies

in 1985/86, when it turned into this ugly franchise sort of thing.

The prequels (and the whole discussion) were just thriving on the hope

that - with some luck and some genius - Star Wars could be resurrected.

And we watched the stuff because we just WANTED the stuff to be as

good as the saga we've grown up with.

Some might even say that the shit hit the fan with ROTJ.

In any case, SW is dead. And it has been dead for at least 25 years.

Come on. Why do we lie to ourselves.

Watch something else.

Hey, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor would have been an Oscar contender if it wasn't made for TV!

Star Wars and the Walt Disney company are clearly not run into the ground and remain entirely relevant to this day. They're probably more popular and forever enduring.

Oy, this old chestnut again.

In any event, Star Wars is far from dead. "The Old Republic" had 1.5 Million players before the game had even officially launched, and while it may not meet your lofty standards, the Clone Wars cartoon continues to pull great ratings, in addition to being a rather wonderful show (indeed, better than the films from which it spawned). So yeah.

I think the ultimate legacy of Star Wars is its ability to unlock imaginations. Think of how many film makers first became interested in the craft due to Star Wars...Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Roland Emmerich, to name a few. There are composers (for the film and the concert hall) who first became interested in symphonic music because of Star Wars. There are authors, artistic directors, SFX people, musicians, who probably wouldn't be interested in the craft if not for Star Wars. Imagine how much personal satisfaction the people who designed Oota Gunga must've had seeing their labor of love on the big screen! And even if you ignore the professionals, there's also millions of people who have entered into creative endeavors just for the fun of it who probably wouldn't have if not for Star Wars. I know that my current interest in playing music and my past interest of making amateur films wouldn't of been nearly as strong as it was if not for Star Wars. You don't need to like every spin-off or creative decision regarding the Star Wars universe (I certainly don't!), but I applaud Lucas for allowing so many to have a say in this massive empire and for indirectly inspiring so many others. I truly think the world would be worse place without Star Wars, even if you're a part of the "bad prequels ruin the originals" camp.

Augie

Woah buddy...hold your horses!!! In what way exactly is Spielberg dead?! War Horse was a good film and while it did have some flaws, its not bad enough to harm his career (as it was a good movie overall). Then you have Tintin, which was a classic Spielberg adventure and proves the director's diversity. Even if you consider War Horse a bad film (which its not), Indy 4 was last bad Spielberg film (which wasn't long ago). He's produced films of great quality over the decade like Munich, Catch Me if You Can, Minority Report, etc. In no way can you claim a director is "Dead" by a single film that you did not enjoy (even though War Horse is a strong film).

That is one bold statement that I find ridiculous...

Seriously? You know, I'm sure that Lucas/Spielberg/Williams never intend for their works to become complete cultural phenomenons. The fact that some of them have is merely a product of our own response to how well they speak directly to our own human condition. So, as long as you have seen Star Wars yourself, and it speaks to something inside your soul, it will remain alive, even if you think Empire was the only good one and all the rest suck. The fact that there was hope that the prequels would measure up to the original trilogy, means that the concept and world that was created is all still very much alive.

Sometimes it's amazing to me how easily swayed people are by the changes in popular culture. Can't anyone stick to their guns?

Star Wars didn't survive the Reagan Era.

At some point, suddenly, around 1986, it was just about licences, toys and stocks.

SW, created in the 70s - with a hidden hippie religion at its core - couldn't survive

the 80s.

Only the fans didn't stop to believe in its mythology. In that respect, we - the Star

Wars fans - aren't any better than the Christians. Like the Fremen in the fourth

installment of Frank Herbert's Dune, The God Emperor of Dune, we've become

Museum Fremen. Dressing up in trashy costumes, talking about prequels and

spin-offs all day long, baking Star Wars cakes.

Remember the days when SW was actually something culturally relevant, some-

thing so exciting that it made a huge impact on your everyday life? I haven't felt

like that for many years. It's gone, now.

God damn it - don't you FEEL it?

post-19974-0-49373400-1329892313.jpg

post-19974-0-25241000-1329892314.jpg

post-19974-0-59300900-1329892315.jpg

post-19974-0-35156200-1329892316.jpg

post-19974-0-28524600-1329892317.jpg

... therefore I will sell my life-sized replica of R2-D2.

Count me out.

You want to know where all the religious allegories come from?

Just a few relics:

eau_lando_cologne_star_wars_image-600x450.jpg

Wish1500.jpg

starwarstape052511.jpg

If you don't spot the striking similarities, you should probably read more.

Thanks!

Yeah, he's pretty cool. I named him Don King, on account of all the wild grey hair.

For the record, by the way, Star Wars is definitely NOT dead. It's been run over, kicked in the stomach, and urinated upon ... but it's not dead.

Ya I definitely agree that Star Wars has changed with the prequels. But that was the intention. A lot of people don't like it. I think it's turned the original trilogy from something great into a masterpiece. I wish more people would see that. They are missing out.

Ya I definitely agree that Star Wars has changed with the prequels. But that was the intention. A lot of people don't like it. I think it's turned the original trilogy from something great into a masterpiece. I wish more people would see that. They are missing out.

Um.....so?

If a dog spills three cans of paint on a piece of posterboard, it looks like garbage.

But place that poster beside the dog's steaming pile, and it looks like art.

Is that the point you were going for? That's what I got out of it.