The "War Horse" Score Does NOT Deserve An Oscar

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the score, but I'm not sure it deserves the award either. If only because his previous wins (except maybe FIDDLER, which I've never really liked) are so in a class of their own.

Then again, neither of the nominees have candidates for the best score of the year, IMO.

This is actually fantastic!

If Johnny's "War Horse" doesn't deserve an Oscar, he might actually have a genuine shot at winning this year! I mean, look at the winners of the past years...

:P

I love the score, but I'm not sure it deserves the award either. If only because his previous wins (except maybe FIDDLER, which I've never really liked) are so in a class of their own.

As Williams drama scores go, this seems to be more accessible to me than most for a long time. It's not Williams' best score, but like Tintin (and even more so), it's fantastically crafted as a pure piece of music. What Williams put into each bar of music here is far beyond what most film composers these days are capable of on their best days, as far as I'm concerned. With that in mind, even not knowing much of the competition (e.g. The Artist), I'm convinced War Horse deserves most awards it can possibly get.

I love the score, but I'm not sure it deserves the award either. If only because his previous wins (except maybe FIDDLER, which I've never really liked) are so in a class of their own

The Oscars (or any of these awards for that matter) aren't given based on how well the score compares to the composer's past works, they're given based on how well it compares to the other scores of this year. It would be ridiculous to expect Williams to compose something as good as Star Wars to get an Oscar...War Horse is the best score of the year (beating Tintin by a hair) so it clearly deserves the oscar.

Unfortunately, this video seems prejudiced against Canadians...so I don't get to see it :(

I find it ironic how they chose one of the few scenes that doesn't contain music at all...

I can't tell if they did it to keep the sound effects in place, or that's just the drum beat of the song that sounds like it could be horse hoofbeats.

I love the score, but I'm not sure it deserves the award either. If only because his previous wins (except maybe FIDDLER, which I've never really liked) are so in a class of their own

The Oscars (or any of these awards for that matter) aren't given based on how well the score compares to the composer's past works, they're given based on how well it compares to the other scores of this year. It would be ridiculous to expect Williams to compose something as good as Star Wars to get an Oscar...War Horse is the best score of the year (beating Tintin by a hair) so it clearly deserves the oscar.

I know that, but for me -- personally -- I would want all his wins to be in the same league, more or less.

Also, while I really like WAR HORSE and think it is ONE OF the best scores of the year, it's not THE best. In fact, the best score(s) aren't even on the nominations list, IMO.

I know that, but for me -- personally -- I would want all his wins to be in the same league, more or less.

Also, while I really like WAR HORSE and think it is ONE OF the best scores of the year, it's not THE best. In fact, the best score(s) aren't even on the nominations list, IMO.

Fair enough, we'll just have to disagree there! :D

But you've got to admit that both War Horse and Tintin are the best of the nominees. What do you consider the best score of the year btw?

Hah, I thought it was serious too, even after I clicked the link.

(seriously, watch the whole video before commenting...)

If only I could!!! For some stupid reason, I can't watch this in Canada!!!

But you've got to admit that both War Horse and Tintin are the best of the nominees. What do you consider the best score of the year btw?

Cliff Martinez' DRIVE.

Cliff Martinez' DRIVE.

I'll let you in on a secret...I knew you'd pick that score all along :D

And personally, I'm quite glad that score didn't get a nomination...

Unfortunately, this video seems prejudiced against Canadians...so I don't get to see it :(

Did you try running a search for "Conan War Horse" on YouTube?

Tried that already, the video is not made available in my country.... -____-

Hah, I thought it was serious too, even after I clicked the link.

(seriously, watch the whole video before commenting...)

If only I could!!! For some stupid reason, I can't watch this in Canada!!!

Just move to another country and stop whining!

Be silent Messenger! You know little of these matters and my woes...

:fouetaa:

Cliff Martinez' DRIVE.

I'll let you in on a secret...I knew you'd pick that score all along :D

And personally, I'm quite glad that score didn't get a nomination...

Saw the movie but didn't notice anything musically apart from the (good) songs. If we have really reached the point where sound design must be awarded for best score, the new Max Steiner must be just waiting in the wings to take over.