Cinematic Sound Radio: John Williams Special Pt.4 of 5

Erik Woods

UPDATE: February 23, 2012

JOHN WILLIAMS' 80th BIRTHDAY SPECIAL - PART IV

In part four of Cinematic Sound’s five-part radio series celebrating John Williams’ 80th birthday we will be looking back the years spanning 1985-1996. You will hear music from such films as SPACECAMP, THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, STANLEY AND IRIS, HOOK, FAR AND AWAY, SCHINDLER’S LIST, SLEEPERS and many more. You will also hear selections from some mid-80′s Williams TV themes including AMAZING STORIES, THE MISSION THEME and MEET THE PRESS. Plus, you will hear an obscure fanfare written by Williams for the 1989 ALPINE SKI CHAMPIONSHIP. Part V will be on-line tomorrow. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1933

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good piece. As with the recently mentioned oboe concerto, it would be great to hear a full orchestral rendition of it some day. Maybe throw in the Michael Dukakis fanfare and the Fanfare for Ten Year Olds while they're at it.

Is there a full orchestral version of "Winter Games Fanfare?" I thought it was written for brass and percussion.

I've never heard the original, so I don't know. I assume there is.

Eric, I've now listened to all 4 shows, can't wait for the 5th.

The rendition of ET and Me practically brought me to tears and if there is a more joyous piece than Exsultate Justi I need to hear it.

Can't wait to listen to this when I get back home today. :) I just listened to the other 3 parts last night. Wonderful stuff as always.

I'm gonna recommend this show to all of my music friends, who don't necessarily know the versatility of this composer.

And those, who claim JW sounds all the same, grand and bombastic should listen to for example the part 2 of the show.

On every part of the show there has been one forgotten gem for me, in this 85-96 show it was Presumed Innocent. How utterly haunting it is.

I'm gonna recommend this show to all of my music friends, who don't necessarily know the versatility of this composer.

And those, who claim JW sounds all the same, grand and bombastic should listen to for example the part 2 of the show.

On every part of the show there has been one forgotten gem for me, in this 85-96 show it was Presumed Innocent. How utterly haunting it is.

Well said. If anything the show in all its parts depicts how versatile composer Williams is.

To everyone who tuned in and took the time out to write something in this thread... thank you! You have no idea how much all of this means to me. Reading these comments makes all the hard work worth it! I'm glad you are enjoying the show.

-Erik-