Freaking brilliant moments on the "Hook" album worth special mentions!

Josh500

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This score reminds me of Temple of Doom in terms of how dense and bombastic it is, although Hook has a bit more heart to it. I think it's a strong album presentation, showcasing its broad scope, for example "Banning Back Home" is so American and domestic that it contrasts the film's aesthetic difference between reality and the fantasy of Neverland. "The Banquet" and "The Never-Feast" always spring to mind when I'm being overfed in these work related junkets I attend. "Remembering Childhood" and "You Are the Pan" are beautifully melancholy. "When You're Alone" is pretty, but I'd rather hear a more experienced vocalist have a crack at it. "Presenting the Hook" is amazingly fun and does a lot in about two and half minutes. The "Prologue" almost rivals Star Wars in the way you open an album with a bang.

Drax, this is why you should post more than just your usual couple of words ;)

And there's one other song that JW wrote for the movie, isn't there? Besides the 2 that are on the OS album, I mean! :)

Yes, the song is called "Pick 'em Up". It will surely be on the new release.

Thanks for the link to that page, I had never seen that before!

And there's one other song that JW wrote for the movie, isn't there? Besides the 2 that are on the OS album, I mean! :)

Wow, I never new sheet music for this existed. Parts of the lyrics seem like they would fit well with the "Lost Boys Chase," even though the corresponding rhythms don't always work. Do we know what part of the film this was from? Probably when Robin Williams is "training" to become Peter Pan?

Hook reminds me of ToD, Last Crusade, Home Alone, Empire of the Sun, Harry Potter PS and CoS, and Tintin.

What a gem of a score! I've never quite appreciated it up to now, but I am definitely starting to!

This score pretty much summed up most of Williams' musical ideas at the time. It hinted at old ideas he used in scores like The Last Crusade and Home Alone (the Neverland in theme in particular) but the score was also the chance Williams took to test new ideas he had formulating in his head. And so, the score served as a foundation and one of the inspirations of what we would eventually hear in scores like Far and Away, The Phantom Menace and Harry Potter. Its great to hear where some Williams sounds were rooted in.

This score is bloody brilliant for the multitude of themes and the spirit of adventure that Williams so successfully infuses. I need to listen to this again to be reminded of how awesome it is...and so I shall be doing that this evening :D

Williams also doffed his cap to the wonderful seafaring and swashbuckling music of old in Hook and does it with breathtaking finesse. Even though the final sword fight between Hook and Peter is not on the OST it has to be one of my top Williams cues ever. I have to count some time how many times the cymbal player has to make those hits during the Ultimate War sequence to signal sword hitting a sword or just to add to all the general razzmatazz going on. :P

This score pretty much summed up most of Williams' musical ideas at the time. It hinted at old ideas he used in scores like The Last Crusade and Home Alone (the Neverland in theme in particular)

I think it's too simplistic to believe that the "Neverland Theme" was based on or is a rip-off of the "Main Theme from Home Alone." They both express positive feelings, but they are quite different, in my opinion. If we just go by melody (the up and down, and repeat), we might as well include "Theme from Schindler's List"! ;)

I meant the orchestration overall, and especially the latter part of the "Farewell."

This score is bloody brilliant for the multitude of themes and the spirit of adventure that Williams so successfully infuses. I need to listen to this again to be reminded of how awesome it is...and so I shall be doing that this evening :D

I couldn't agree with you more.

And I am listening to it now, in between WH and Tintin! :music:

This score reminds me of Temple of Doom in terms of how dense and bombastic it is, although Hook has a bit more heart to it. I think it's a strong album presentation, showcasing its broad scope, for example "Banning Back Home" is so American and domestic that it contrasts the film's aesthetic difference between reality and the fantasy of Neverland. "The Banquet" and "The Never-Feast" always spring to mind when I'm being overfed in these work related junkets I attend. "Remembering Childhood" and "You Are the Pan" are beautifully melancholy. "When You're Alone" is pretty, but I'd rather hear a more experienced vocalist have a crack at it. "Presenting the Hook" is amazingly fun and does a lot in about two and half minutes. The "Prologue" almost rivals Star Wars in the way you open an album with a bang.

This score made me grow up.

This score made me grow up.

Good to know. Now that you are all mature and serious you should post more often. ;)

Wow, I never new sheet music for this existed. Parts of the lyrics seem like they would fit well with the "Lost Boys Chase," even though the corresponding rhythms don't always work. Do we know what part of the film this was from? Probably when Robin Williams is "training" to become Peter Pan?

Um, Indy4, this song is IN the film. It just wasn't on the OST.

Ah yes, thanks!

I actually like this song. It grows on you!

Um, Indy4, this song is IN the film. It just wasn't on the OST.

Ah, that would explain why the lyrics were vaguely familiar.

There are some great unreleased songs written by JW still...

This is one. A song from PoA (though barely heard in the movie) is another.

Anything else?

There is I Wanna Be A Jedi, that was supposed to be sung by Anakin in AOTC

I Wanna Be A Jedi

Slay sand people and kiss Amidala

But Obi is mean with me

He doesn't want me to be happy!

The rest of the lyrics has not leaked yet.

Also there is the song performed at the opera in RotS that was replaced by the weird deep throat singing on the soundtrack. Williams had Palpatine watching a Chrimassy play where the choir would chant "Kill Obi Wan" as subliminal message to Anakin to the tune of Carol of Bells. Shame that it was scrapped.

"Banning Back Home", is stil my favourite cue.

This is good, but compared to the other tracks... urghhhh!

Also, I can't really listen to the second track and that song sung by the little girl. Well, I can, but these are not my favorites, is what I am saying.

"Banning Back Home" is the best thing that Dave Grusin never wrote! :P

"When You're Alone" should come with a Government Health Warning, to be sure, but if you listen to the lyrics, you realise that it is being sung by the strongest character in the film.