Star Trek Generations

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a complete and chronological release of Star Trek Generations?

• Yes, it's an underrated gem.
    • No, boring and to much like the music from the TNG TV show.
    • Maybe, I would need to hear samples and read other peoples review.

With TUC being released soon, people are already hoping that Jerry's landmark score for TMP will be released soon. And First Contact etc...

No one is talking so much about Dennis McCarthy's score for Generations. The only Star Trek feature score from the composer has has composer more...far more music for the franchise then anyone else in the world.

For some reason this score has a bad rep. Maybe because he wasn't a name composer. Maybe because he did not start with a big main title, but rather a more delicate piece that builds to a stately crescendo, maybe because of the negativity there was in the film music community about how Star Trek TNG and Star Trek DS9 were being scored. Rick Berman pretty much forbade the composers from using recurring thematic material and favoured a more textural approach.

McCarthy's score is very much an extension of the kind of music he wrote for the latter seasons of TNG, but he finally got to play with themes, and a much larger orchestra and even a real choir!

His main theme is an impressively, but understated theme. Heroic but regal, perfectly fitting with Picard's more cerebral heroism.

McCarthy has always had a knack for writing for trumpet and this theme sounds best when it get's a solemn solo in "To Live Forever". But also in the transition from the TOS to TNG era does it soar.

The action music follows the patterns that he used for the TV show, but it's all bigger, with more pronounced percussion and some great motifs (he would later reuse some of them for Deep Space Nine's season 4 opener The Way Of The Warrior) Outgunned is an excellent action cue, and The Final Fight gives Goldsmith's big action finale's from the later films a run for their money.

The emotional highlight is The Nexus/A Christmas Hug were McCarthy employs an ethereal choir, synths and the orchestra to stunning effect (and yes I know it was probably modelled a bit after Fortress of Soltitude)

While many of the highlights were released on CD, I would really like to hear the action cue for the first encounter with the Klingons at the Armegossa observatory,

The establishing shot of the Enterprise sailing ship has a beautiful rendition of the main theme on strings that is missing. The short but dramatic cue underscoring the launching of the rocket into the Veridian sun, which leads right into The Nexus/A Christmas Hug is a cue i've been dying to hear for 18 year....oh my God has it been that long?

People, I want this. As much as you want a complete TMP, I want this....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a change...people fear change!!

Voted for "Underrated Gem"....how could I not....until the expansions started coming along, this was easily - EASILY - the Star Trek score I listened to most.

Funny, I have just finished watched the movie again (I've been watching the Trek movies again during the hoidays); you have described the score well, Stefan, so I will simply say that I approve and would/will welcome an expanded edition of the score.

18 years... damn...

Well the movie might be flawed. but I have good memories of it.

It was the first time I saw a Trek film in the cinema. The Enterprise D on the big screen. That was awesome.

It has some truly great effects, the crash scene is spectacular and I like the villians.

The Picard/Kirk combo certainly isn't what it could have been, and it's hilarious how the crew change from TNG to DS9 style uniforms throughout the film, without any apparent reason. But I really like this film.

Well the movie might be flawed. but I have good memories of it.

It was the first time I saw a Trek film in the cinema. The Enterprise D on the big screen. That was awesome.

It has some truly great effects, the crash scene is spectacular and I like the villians.

The Picard/Kirk combo certainly isn't what it could have been, and it's hilarious how the crew change from TNG to DS9 style uniforms throughout the film, without any apparent reason. But I really like this film.

Oh same here, definitely. Seeing Generations to me was probably a lot like people felt when they saw TMP on the big screen. I have always liked the film and thought it was really good. Until you start reading the interwebs and people trying to tell you how flawed or bad something is. I'd rather like to bask in my ignorance, thank you very much.

This piece was the first time I remember leaving the theater drooling for a soundtrack. Sadly, it was a few months before that happened. Out of the remaining scores to be expanded, Generations is the one I'm looking forward to most.

Oh same here, definitely. Seeing Generations to me was probably a lot like people felt when they saw TMP on the big screen. I have always liked the film and thought it was really good. Until you start reading the interwebs and people trying to tell you how flawed or bad something is. I'd rather like to bask in my ignorance, thank you very much.

Well plot-wise there are certainly a few issues. For instance Soran needs to destroy stars and planets to be able to re enter the Nexus, but you seem to be able to leave it without any issue.

BTW, how does Generations look on Blu-ray?

Well plot-wise there are certainly a few issues. For instance Soran needs to destroy stars and planets to be able to re enter the Nexus, but you seem to be able to leave it without any issue.

It was glossed over well enough that it didn't matter much.

True.

I did go home wondering if they last part of the film happened for real or in the Nexus...

Me too. If this were an episode it would be interesting to see if they would go back to this subject and Picard not sure if what he is living in is real or not. Maybe bring Q into it or something.

Heck, it could be catalyst to bring the timeline back to normal after Star Trek 11 for a TV show.

True.

I did go home wondering if they last part of the film happened for real or in the Nexus...

Indeed.

I very much look forward to the expansion of this score. Definitely an underrated gem.

Absolutely. I have bought all the TNG soundtrack compilations that have been released recently. I don't own all of the GNP Crescendo albums, but I keep my eye out for them cheap, but still. To not buy a movie score on the premise that "it sounds too much like the TV show" would be hypocritical at this point.

The first time I saw it, I interpreted the Nexus as being a life form (it reminded Picard about the Amargosa star, and keeps Guinan as a symbiant). I still kind of look at it that way...but the ending does leave quite a bit to think about re: whether or not Picard is still there etc etc....a lot can be read into it. One of the best Trek movies.

I would definitely buy a complete release for Generations. The OST is a good presentation of the score but like with most of the Star Trek film scores A LOT of great material was left off the OST, especially with Generations.

I'm sure in due time it will be released and it will be mine.

Yes yes yes. Generations is near the bottom of the barrel of Star Trek film scores, but being near the bottom of a series that has no bad scores is nothing to be ashamed of.

Orchestration wise I find it a far more interesting score then Cliff Eidelman's. for some reason in the action material that one always sounds a bit thing.

Generations has a much more meatier sound.

It'd actually be cool if a theoretical complete release still had the SFX collection on the second disc, if there's enough music (alternates) to justify two discs.

Orchestration wise I find it a far more interesting score then Cliff Eidelman's. for some reason in the action material that one always sounds a bit thing.

Generations has a much more meatier sound.

McCarthy is a master orchestrator. Like Joel McNeely, I'm struck much more by his orchestrations than his melodies.

I would definitely buy a complete release for Generations. The OST is a good presentation of the score but like with most of the Star Trek film scores A LOT of great material was left off the OST, especially with Generations.

I'm sure in due time it will be released and it will be mine.

I hope sometime in 2013 it will be the year of TNG complete sdtks.

Can't get enough Trek scores. :whistle: