BloodBoal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to stick with the old man whose not as old as the older man amongst the two. As much as I love the old man whose older than the other old man, Lincoln simply doesn't demand the kind of scope of the potential epic stature that The Hobbit suggests. I LOVE both old men (and the older one is my favourite composer too), but I think the younger old man will win in this case.

Obviously we shouldn't really be judging atm, but if we were to take sides, I'm placing my bet on the Hobbit. But you knew that :D

These are pretty much the two most anticipated scores for me, but I'm more excited/expecting something better for Lincoln. This will certainly be a good chance for Williams to win. It'll be his only score for the year, so no vote splitting. As far as I know there aren't any silent movies or movies about the Holocaust being produced. The Hobbit will probably be nominated, but I can't see the Academy giving him the award after he's already won 2 for LotR, even if it's deserving. Plus The Hobbit will be much more lighthearted, and those scores don't always do well.

I'd be happy for either to walk away with the statuette. Shore is most likely to deliver the finer score, but it'd also be nice to see Williams awarded perhaps for the final time in his career.

Film-wise, I couldn't give a crap about Lincoln.

Neither is gonna win

It has to be a gimmick score associated to a movie the academy loves , and there's plenty of time for one to pop up

I dearly, dearly hope Williams wins for Lincoln. And I think it would be poetic in a way, since both Abraham Lincoln and John Williams are such icons of American culture.

Film-wise, I couldn't give a crap about Lincoln.

Sadly I feel the same way.

First War Horse, then Lincoln, then Robopocalypse, and the one project that seemed interesting is nowhere to be found.

howard shore. the lotr score was the first film music I actually sat down and listened to! and from what I can hear, the little preview of the hobbit score comes close to the lotr-epicness. can't waaaait!

Wow, Lincoln is doing better on the FSM poll (tied in first place) than it is on the JWFan poll. Nothing wrong with that, but it's weird.

indy4 - celebrating my 15000th post! :ola:

Meh, that choir of fagots sounds boring.

:huh:

Well it gives me indescribable satisfaction to say something that stupid just to shatter

the consensus "how godlike LOTR and Jerry Goldsmith are".

Wow, Lincoln is doing better on the FSM poll (tied in first place) than it is on the JWFan poll. Nothing wrong with that, but it's weird.

indy4 - celebrating my 15000th post! :ola:

Congratulations!!

And you are right, weird it is.

These are pretty much the two most anticipated scores for me, but I'm more excited/expecting something better for Lincoln. This will certainly be a good chance for Williams to win. It'll be his only score for the year, so no vote splitting. As far as I know there aren't any silent movies or movies about the Holocaust being produced. The Hobbit will probably be nominated, but I can't see the Academy giving him the award after he's already won 2 for LotR, even if it's deserving. Plus The Hobbit will be much more lighthearted, and those scores don't always do well.

The film might be more light hearted, but Jackson is going to try and make the film as epic as he can. And the music is definitely going to go for the strong epic vibe (its not just going to be fluffy Shire music people!).

I can totally see The Hobbit getting the Oscar for Best Original Score for a variety of reasons that might include quality (if it turns out to be as great as we hope it is).

The Hobbit Part 1 will probably get a bunch of minor technical awards which would include Best Original score with no shot at the big awards (like Fellowship!). Only with part 2 (if these movies live up to the hype) will Jackson stand a chance for the big awards.

But if Shore doesn't win the Oscar (which he totally should!), then we might have an arrangement like this. Williams might win his 6th oscar next year for his crafting music for America's most beloved human being, and Shore might win for part 2.

I'm still rooting for Shore though (although I would be overjoyed for a 6th oscar for JW ;)).

Here's what I think should really happen: Howard Shore gets the Oscar while Johnny gets the Honorary Oscar. Sounds perfect?

Here's what I think should really happen: Howard Shore gets the Oscar while Johnny gets the Honorary Oscar. Sounds perfect?

Why Howard Shore? He already has 3!

When compared to John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, I don't think he's that good!

Why Howard Shore? He already has 3!

When compared to John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, I don't think he's that good!

He is still ways ahead from so called composers of film music.

I think he should have gotten another in 1993 for Basic Instinct (instead of Alan Menken for Aladdin)!

Not in 1983 for Poltergeist, though! :P

If ever Jerry was still alive today, would he now get so many nominations every year? Would he now receive more Oscars now that his fiercest competitors come from the likes of Hans Zimmer, Howard shore, John Powell, Thomas and Randy Newman, even John Williams? That question bugs me every time I think of Jerry Goldsmith.

If ever Jerry was still alive today, would he now get so many nominations every year? Would he now receive more Oscars now that his fiercest competitors come from the likes of Hans Zimmer, Howard shore, John Powell, Thomas and Randy Newman, even John Williams? That question bugs me every time I think of Jerry Goldsmith.

No, not so many.

Mainly because his choice of movies wasn't that great as JW's. He scored many mediocre, even bad movies!

How about Danny Elfman! He still hasn't got 1 Oscar, doesn't he?

No, not so many.

Mainly because his choice of movies wasn't that great as JW's. He scored many mediocre, even bad movies!

But then, probably, like John, he will be getting of age, his output will decrease and he will probably become selective of choosing films to score, so maybe the quality will be higher and more oscar-worthy. I think he will now chose to score 1-2 films per year if he was still alive.

Well, of course, could be. But we're just speculating! I think if he were alive today, though, he would have won at least 1 more Oscar!

Back in 1977, they didn't even play brief excerpts of each nominated score!

Well, of course, could be. But we're just speculating! I think if he were alive today, though, he would have won at least 1 more Oscar!

Heck, with the way film scores are being nominated now, he can win more than just one oscar!

In order to win, he would have to do something not directed by Steven Spielberg film. like attach himself to one of those Oscar bait movies or do something completely unpredictable.

Karol

In order to win, he would have to do something not directed by Steven Spielberg film. like attach himself to one of those Oscar bait movies or do something completely unpredictable.

Karol

:lol::rolleyes:

You know, in retrospect you can say anything! But if it weren't for Spielberg, he probably wouldn't have gotten any Oscar for original score, including the one for Star Wars!

And JW did what you are saying! Remember Seven Years in Tibet, Angela's Ashes, Sabrina, Nixon, Rosewood...?

Not anymore. That's what I mean.

None of these films you mentioned are Oscar baits.

Karol

Like I said, nothing is easier than saying that in retrospect!

You think the composer for The Artist knew when he was scoring it that it was going to be an Oscar bait!? :rolleyes:

JW and Spielberg probably thought/hoped that War Horse was going to be the Oscar bait 2012!

Some of the films are heavily marketed to be award winners. And they are released at the certain time of the year. Academy doesn't often remember anything released prior November.

And no, Spielberg isn't enough anymore. They nominate his films for the same reason they nominate Williams. The name. Let's be realistic.

Karol

John Williams seems to be nominated out of respect the music branch feels for him although everybody seems to be thinking he has had 5 Oscars, lets give the statuette to some younger guy.

Some of the films are heavily marketed to be award winners. And they are released at the certain time of the year. Academy doesn't often remember anything released prior November.

And no, Spielberg isn't enough anymore. They nominate his films for the same reason they nominate Williams. The name. Let's be realistic.

Karol

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend you, but you couldn't sound more well-informed (or just plain stupid)!

Are you aware that Spielberg is one of the most nominated directors? He's been nominated 6 times and won 2! Only 3 directors in the history of the Academy have won more than 2 Oscars for Best Director, and they are all long dead (John Ford - 4, Williams Wyler - 3, and Frank Capra -3)! Besides, Spielberg's movies are almost always nominated for at least 1 Oscar, and more often for multiple awards!

So JW's chances of winning another Oscar is higher when he sticks to Spielberg than when he does not and chooses some random Oscar-worthy picture (which you can't predict beforehand anyway)! The fact that JW hasn't won in the past 19 years doesn't mean much insofar as he's already won 3 for Spielberg (which in and of itself is a monumental and unsurpassed achievement)!