The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

According to his official website http://www.howardshore.com/fimucite-x-the-music-of-howard-shore/ Howard will conduct a concert of his music on Saturday in Tenerife.  Featuring the European premier of the Hobbit concert suite, and some other great stuff!

Is this event normally recorded/broadcast in any shape or form?

People don't give enough credit to Shore for writing a score where almost all major themes were already known, new ones not quite ready yet to be played big, and still make it fresh.

On 27/9/2016 at 4:47 PM, tannhauser said:

According to his official website http://www.howardshore.com/fimucite-x-the-music-of-howard-shore/ Howard will conduct a concert of his music on Saturday in Tenerife.  Featuring the European premier of the Hobbit concert suite, and some other great stuff!

Is this event normally recorded/broadcast in any shape or form?

Yes. But aired months later.

This is the TV special from last year:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/otros/fimucite-2015-festival-internacional-musica-cine-tenerife/3429613/

Also, Howard Shore look so fresh!

howard-shore-320x220.jpg

3 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I was guessing from the "but there’s so much more".

The album is clearly about "concert-exclusive" material, as in "music originally written for the concert hall", and not "music originally written for film then adapted for the concert hall".

The songs are on spotiify since many months ago...

https://play.spotify.com/album/1t2AyRquitEzS21M5Qnwrl/3qPgIlvbgDX6MFKDKogYq0

8 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Yup, looking very fresh indeed!

I wonder if this will sound in any way "Middle-earth" like. 

Cover is very Celtic 

IMG_2039.PNG

Pics from todays press conference:

14462964_10154777681684238_4988058357020

14457485_10154777681709238_4168127326958

14470371_10154777681689238_4530659107713

Just had my first listen to Howard Shore's new score for Denial which has appeared on Spotify today in Australia. After two complete listens I have come to the conclusion that Shore still has plenty on offer as his writing skills have not diminished. This score has hints of fantasy, Twilight-style darkness in places, and a particular dark, brooding theme features throughout the score which may symbolise the Professor denying the Holocaust. I am relieved that Shore chose to utilise a full orchestra because, although Spotlight is enjoyable in its own way, the use of woodwind, strings, brass, and piano leave a far greater impact on the mind than a small chamber group which he used for Spotlight. Denial even features boy soprano on the standout track, "Steps", and "A Prayer". Another track, "Professor Van Pelt" features amazing Shore music which only he could write with its brooding, suspenseful tension. Some sections of the score do feel a bit like Thomas Newman or James Newton Howard which is not a bad thing because, as I said before, a few tracks like "Atlanta 1994" have a feel of fantasy about them. It is refreshing to have a score like this in 2016 and I hope the Academy acknowledges Shore's brilliance to write music which corresponds to a scene without overdoing it.

Denial is an example of Shore's ability to create impressive music if given more freedom to be creative unlike Disney's failure to utilise his skills for Pete's Dragon. What a missed opportunity. I was one of, probably a few, who cried when Doug Adams sent me a tweet telling me that Shore was no longer attached to the project. I hope Shore continues to find the drive to write scores because many film companies are rejecting older composers and looking to amateurs for a "modernised, cheap" sound. I strongly recommend Denial as essential for any Howard Shore fan as well as those who want an exceptionally written, subdued, and suspenseful score with emotion felt throughout.

A lovely score - it seems like the sort of subject matter that he is ideally suited to, and it was nice to hear a more substantial orchestration in this one than Doubt, Spotlight, and others.  

Certain textures and atmospheres seemed to me somewhat reminiscent of Battle of the Five Armies.

On 4. Oktober 2016 at 10:50 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

> trumpets on left

> celli/basses on right

> mother of god

What do you mean? Celli/Basses on the same side is the LotR set up in all the scores.

Very cool pictures! Thanks for posting this stuff @Alex Shore!:)

17 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I'm enjoying Denial. 

Wait until you get to acceptance. That is when the fun starts.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

Very cool pictures! Thanks for posting this stuff @Alex Shore!:)

Wait until you get to acceptance. That is when the fun starts.

I knew somebody would make a joke like that. 

21 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I knew somebody would make a joke like that. 

You always were a perspicaucious one and it was too obvious bad pun to make for me to miss the opportunity. ;)

On 7-10-2016 at 2:31 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

Yes... but not on the right. 

I was slightly disappointed when I noticed the orchestra was not in the German/Viennese/Met set-up at the Live-to-Projection Fellowship of the Ring concert I attended.

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Why is this woman asking Shore to autograph the RCA release of the ROTJ Special Edition? Doesn't she know that was Williams? Looks like Shore is humouring her.

14581540_1534947303185736_2875252656076891243_n.jpg

I'm assuming there's a joke here but I have to admit I don't see it. 

Yes, it's unacceptable, I think. The music was conceived spatially, and certainly at times was written with those spatial considerations in mind. The spread of the high strings, the more direct sound of the inner strings, and the greater bass balance of having the low strings not huddled together on the same side as the low brass and bassoons all make quite a bit of difference, so it's as natural to respect that as it is with Mahler or Gabrieli or Corigliano or Boulez or whoever makes a point of thinking about the actual placement of the players.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems highly unlikely less than 2 months out from release when there is still no composer officially announced.  It's most likely that either there is no music, or Scorsese licensed classical music recordings.

But I hope I'm wrong, and yeah I do see that at one point Shore confirmed he was doing it.  But that was 2014 and we thought he was doing Pete's Dragon up until like 3 months before it came out.

It wouldn't be the first time that a composer has been announced at short notice (think Williams with Book Thief).  Besides, the press on this one seems to have been quite hushed - still not even a teaser!