RIP Ralph McQuarrie

rpvee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's incredible how close the final films were to his concept art. Truly one of the greats. Tremendous artist which will be sorely missed and fondly remembered

It's incredible how close the final films were to his concept art. Truly one of the greats. Tremendous artist which will be sorely missed and fondly remembered

You took the words right out of my mouth Romão. Rest in peace Mr. McQuarrie.

RALPH MCQUARRIE REMEMBERED

March 03, 2012

"I am deeply saddened by the passing of such a visionary artist and such a humble man. Ralph McQuarrie was the first person I hired to help me envision Star Wars. His genial contribution, in the form of unequaled production paintings, propelled and inspired all of the cast and crew of the original Star Wars trilogy. When words could not convey my ideas, I could always point to one of Ralph's fabulous illustrations and say, 'Do it like this.'

"Beyond the movies, his artwork has inspired at least two generations of younger artists—all of whom learned through Ralph that movies are designed. Like me, they were thrilled by his keen eye and creative imagination, which always brought concepts to their most ideal plateau. In many ways, he was a generous father to a conceptual art revolution that was born of his artwork, and which seized the imaginations of thousands and propelled them into the film industry. In that way, we will all be benefiting from his oeuvre for generations to come. Beyond that, I will always remember him as a kind and patient, and wonderfully talented, friend and collaborator."

—George Lucas

mcquarrie.jpg

slideshow.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Such a sad news. His contribution to Star Wars trilogy couldn't be overestimated. In fact, the films may have not been made if not for these works.

RIP and thanks!

Karol

Looking at these incredibly vivid paintings again, I'm reminded of the man's influence not only on Star Wars as an icon, but also the wider reaching impact he's had on contemporary sci-fi and its embedded place in western culture. RIP.

That's too bad. He's probably the most iconic Star Wars contributor besides John Williams

I have the book The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and it's the best Star Wars book

Were all his illustrations done between 1977 and 1983 or some later?

That's too bad. He's probably the most iconic Star Wars contributor besides John Williams

I have the book The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and it's the best Star Wars book

Were all his illustrations done between 1977 and 1983 or some later?

He did a lot of paintings throughout the 80s and 90s. If memory serves, a lot of the Illustrated Star Wars Universe was freshly done for the book.

I think it's safe to say I'm an uber-fan of Ralph's work.

Here is the definitive volume of all of his work. Not only Star Wars, but E.T., BSG, CE3K, Coccoon, Star Trek TMP, and endless book covers and advertising art. This book is huge, glorious, and pretty comprehensive.

3850426185_fd408aaf72_b.jpg

Here is where it started for me - The original trilogy portfolios.

3851213776_8063b3969f_b.jpg

This is an early promotional kit of a couple paintings from ESB. For a lot of us, it was our first glimpse of the Star Wars sequel.

3850415979_6396938f14_b.jpg

This is a framed print, signed by Ralph. I treasure it.

3334607988_8942091871_b.jpg

Kotobukia produced this statue based on McQuarrie's "The Duel" painting of Luke Vs. Vader.

3333794509_274035937e_b.jpg

This is a fan sculpted C-3PO. Only 9 in the world, and I'm proud to own one.

3333799837_8074cbaf27_b.jpg

3333799531_9b6a9bbae0_b.jpg

This is a fan-sculpted, full size fiberglass Vader helmet based on Ralph's early designs.

3354619200_dedbc51451_b.jpg3354619932_3636c2d876_b.jpg

Wow! That is very impressive Hedji! I love the C-3PO bust. Quite the collection! Thanks for sharing! Now I feel like I need to get a few portfolios myself :P

This just goes to show how much of a loss this is...

Although there were countless individuals involved in the creation of Star Wars, this very well may be the man who singlehandedly made the biggest impact on the film's success. There's just no way around that. And even if the film had done well, without his involvement, I doubt it would have interested me. And without Star Wars to introduce me to Williams, my life might have turned out very differently. I'm truly saddened by this man's death, and I'll always be amazed and grateful when I think about his work.

RIP Ralph McQuarrie.

+1, well said

Love the art posted ITT. Keep 'em coming!

I don't think I'm familiar at all with his non-Star Wars work. Anybody have any good ones?

This one was used as Anakin's personal transport in The Clone Wars series:

That's interesting. Perhaps the same company that produced them slimmed down their transport to create the B-wing starfighter several decades later?

~*~

Ralph McQuarrie's artwork alone makes the booklet to the Star Wars Anthology a compelling collector's item.