RIP Robert Sherman

Datameister

Robert Sherman (known for his musical collaborations with his brother Richard) has reportedly passed away. I was just listening to Mary Poppins a few hours ago, marveling at its ingenious charm. It's terribly sad to think that half of the team that created that and so many other masterpieces is now gone forever. RIP Robert Sherman.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Lord. Jan Berenstain. Davy Jones. Ralph McQuarrie. Robert Sherman. All in around a WEEK. The Universe is clearly trying to systematically destroy my childhood.

*sigh* Anyway, he was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPE6DsNPzE

Don't think anyone mentioned it before, but the Sherman's had a connection with Williams, on the 1973 musical Tom Sawyer. There was this little bit of them working together on the laserdisc release of the film.

R.I.P.

This is very creepy. I bought Mary Poppins yesterday

Yeah, I walked past a dvd of it yesterday. Some spooky shit.

The other day I saw my girlfriend put a spoonful of sugar into her coffee. The hair on my neck stood on end.

I know many don't, but I actually like and enjoy the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang soundtrack (I've never seen the film). I'm listening to it again today in Mr Sherman's memory. Me Ol' Bam-Boo! :)

I love Chitty. I actually prefer it to Mary Poppins, although that could be because the latter has been overplayed in pop culture.

Kinda late, but not too late to post tributes to Mr. Sherman:

Here's the collaboration between The Sherman Brothers and John Williams in the movie "Tom Sawyer":

Great tribute to Robert Sherman on a theremin!