Intrada re-releases Alan Silvestri's Predator (Unlimited this time)

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

426571_10150598541007169_569387168_8932209_388085054_n.jpg

PREDATOR

Composed and Conducted by ALAN SILVESTRI

INTRADA MAF 7118

Due to popular demand, Intrada has reissued Alan Silvestri's thrilling score to the 1987 20th-Century Fox film Predator. The first release sold out in hours, not giving everyone who wished to own a copy a fair chance to purchase. This newly repackaged edition not only features the complete score, including "The Aftermath" cue (the digital master of which had been located after the release of the previous edition), but also separates several edits due to collector demand.

Deftly blending full orchestral color with pounding synthesizer, Silvestri took on his first full-fledged horror/sci-fi genre-mash with gusto, offering music as hard and muscular as the testosterone-fueled commandos who people the film. Silvestri’s “Main Title,” heralded by a dissonant burst of brass and the eerie descending strings marks the Predator’s arrival on earth. Almost immediately, the Predator's opponents are introduced—the commando team—by one of the score’s most successful devices: a tough military march laid over a brutal six-note percussion figure that keeps circling back with relentless ferocity. From here, it's one of the most dynamic, exciting action scores written, with only brief moments of reflection or eerie suspense before returning to pulse-pounding action.

The film introduces an elite troop of muscle-bound commandos into the rain forests of Central America on a putative rescue mission, then tables are turned, making the team the prey of a heat-seeking sport hunter from another world. Starting as an action-adventure yarn with a military flavor, the film swiftly turns into Ten Little Indians in the jungle, with commandos being picked off one by one. By the climactic final sequences, mission leader Dutch

Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is the last man standing and goes one on one with the terrifying apparition of the Predator (Kevin Peter Hall).

INTRADA MAF 7118

Retail Price: $19.99

AVAILABLE NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7476/.f

PREDATOR

Label: Intrada MAF 7118

Date: 1987

Tracks: 20

Time = 76:05

Ok! You spoke... we listened! Completely re-mastered release of complete Alan Silvestri soundtrack for John McTiernan alien action movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger comes as both licensor (20th Century Fox) and composer seek re-release of wildly popular score to wider market. You asked for every drop of blood, we now give it to you. New CD restores tiny bits edited from earlier issue, removes select crossfades, includes brief cue "The Aftermath" prior to "End Credits". CD plays in chronological order as originally scored by composer. Silvestri's incredibly muscular score is dynamite example of scoring via small motifs. Rhythmic punctuation in low brass, melded with busy percussion figures, creates incredibly terse, aggressive foundation for melodic ideas in strings, upper brass. Another cool idea has heroic musical signature for Schwarzenegger anchoring score yet almost all motifs, ideas are rooted in minor harmonies, not the expected major. Resulting music remains grim, tough, violent throughout! Intrada MAF series release with modest enhancement to original graphic design by Joe Sikoryak plus reprise of informative liner notes from Julie Kirgo. Alan Silvestri conducts.

01. Fox Logo (Alfred Newman/Arranged by Elliot Goldenthal 1992) 0:26

02. Main Title 3:52

03. Something Else/Cut 'Em Down/Payback Time 7:37

04. The Truck 4:23

05. Jungle Trek 1:48

06. Girl's Escape 5:59

07. Blain's Death 0:47

08. What Happened? 2:01

09. He's My Friend 1:26

10. We're Gonna Die 3:29

11. Building The Trap 3:06

12. The Waiting 3:27

13. Can You See Him? 4:52

14. Dillon's Death 2:05

15. Billy And Predator 2:36

16. Dutch Builds Trap 9:29

17. Predator Injured 4:15

18. Hand To Hand Combat 3:10

19. Predator's Death 3:43

20. The Aftermath/The Pick-Up And End Credits 7:01

Alan Silvestri

Price: $19.99

Anyone hoarding copies of the old Varese or Intrada editions hoping to sell them for big bucks just got completely screwed :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was silly for Varese to include it on their version and even sillier for Intrada to include it twice. That track doesn't make my ipod

Wonderful news to those who want to get this score. Now there is no panic to get this so soon and even those who felt that the previous version was not perfect can buy this in their own time. :)

I am worried that they still have many LONG tracks containing MULTIPLE cues. I hope they are truly separate this time and don't still overlap.

Also I don't mind that they replicated the film's editorial creation of reprising He Was My Friend and Main Title as the finale and end credits, but I don't get why they smoosh it into the same track as Silvestri's original finale cue.

I personally would have ended the score proper with his original finale, and then listed the editorially-created He's My Friend/Main Title reprise as a bonus track.

I am one of the minority to whom this is not a grail so I do not know it so well so I ask are those cues supposed to overlap in the film and in the score?

I am one of the minority to whom this is not a grail so I do not know it so well so I ask are those cues supposed to overlap in the film and in the score?

No cues in the film overlap, all overlapping on the Varese and first Intrada were decisions made by the album producers because they thought it sounded better.

For the most parts the overlaps sound fine, but the problem with the first Intrada edition is that in a few case they actually REMOVED music from the end or beginning of a cue in order to make their segues sound better. The end result was, in the opinion of most people who knew how the cues were supposed to end via the Varese edition or old boot, not very satisfactory.

I'm glad they didn't do that again this time.

I didn't order this myself, as I currently have the previous release, and I'm happy with it for now.

But this score is one that always should have had a generally available release.

This score is an action classic, one of Sylvestri's best, and until now has only been available on fast selling limited releases and countless footwarmers.

A general release of this score is long overdue.

From Doug's Corner:

Predator perfectionist alert. Yep. I'm the one to blame. As we were playing the CD, and Jeff and Steve were filling orders from this last Tuesday, I heard a tiny dip in volume during a cue that just didn't appeal to me. Others around here don't hear anything but me... sadly being a perfectionist, feels the darn thing can be improved. With all of the activity from last week, fortunately orders for Predator were literally just being filled. So I caught the anomaly in time.

What this means? I've requested new pressings and they should arrive within two weeks. As soon as they do, we'll rush the orders to you. My apologies for being such a perfectionist on this project but, given the popularity of the music and the multiple releases this score has enjoyed, I just want to ensure people that this issue is the best it can be. So please hang on for just a few more days. Thank you!

If that means the release will be better then I'm not bothered about the delay.

I missed both releases already so waiting another week won't make much of a difference.

Karol

I am worried that they still have many LONG tracks containing MULTIPLE cues. I hope they are truly separate this time and don't still overlap.

Also I don't mind that they replicated the film's editorial creation of reprising He Was My Friend and Main Title as the finale and end credits, but I don't get why they smoosh it into the same track as Silvestri's original finale cue.

I personally would have ended the score proper with his original finale, and then listed the editorially-created He's My Friend/Main Title reprise as a bonus track.

I like that idea, but I prefer the idea of two versions of the ending, which is what I was hoping to see:

a.) Original intended version: The Aftermath/End Credits

b.) Film version: He's My Friend/End Credits

But we can't all have what we want. It's always irritated me when labels keep in-film edits intact on the album. I guess the Star Trek: Nemesis album isn't correct because it didn't splice "Final Flight" into the end credits as in the 'film version'.

Gimme a break.

Hats off to Roger to avoid us having to create Predator (Intrada 3.0) in our playlist. Besides, I bundled mine with LLR's Speed so there's no telling when Intrada would ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I also got shipping notice for it with Speed. Hopefully it arrives at my house today or tomorrow so I can rip this. I still never listened to Intrada 1.0. Now I suppose I don't have to, aside from the fact I have it.

Great news, I still don't want it

Then why even bother posting in the thread?

I also got shipping notice for it with Speed. Hopefully it arrives at my house today or tomorrow so I can rip this. I still never listened to Intrada 1.0. Now I suppose I don't have to, aside from the fact I have it.

I listened to the first Intrada release maybe twice. If this new version completely makes both the Varèse and the Intrada 1.0 obsolete I'll gladly toss them in the trash.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a quick question - why is the short string cue heard when the team finds the crashed chopper found at the end of the We're Gonna Die track (ar 3:05 to be precise)? I thought this was supposed to be in film order? :blink:

I'm not sure as I'm not really familiar all that much with the music in the film, but what I do know Intrada's disc presents the score as composed and there was apparantly some shuffling of material going on during post. Liner notes mention that, but they don't go into details.

Karol

The album assembly is completely correct. The final film had a bunch of editing and tracking

Hm. I was always sure that the ominously mournful chord with which the cue in question ends was composed specifically for the chopper discovery, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks for explanation.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't seen this CD discussed much! Who has it, and what do you think of it? I'd love to hear your comments.

I just heard a lossless rip of the previous Intrada release (missed it at the time), but it seems this one sounds even better. And that's the main reason why this is the only version you'll ever need. The extra new bits are nice. I have listened to it countless times in the last month or so.

Karol

I just heard a lossless rip of the previous Intrada release (missed it at the time), but it seems this one sounds even better. And that's the main reasy why this is the only version you'll ever need. The extra new bits are nice. I have listened to it countless times in the last month or so.

Karol

Yes the "Definitive Edition" does have better sound.

• 6 years later...