The Adventures of Tintin score featurette

The Dark Trilogy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting! We've never heard JW do more than acknowledge the score to Tinitn, so it's great to finally hear him speak in some detail. It also explains some elements of the scoring: why "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" is so much better than the other action cues, and why there were 2 recording sessions.

And it confirms that there were multiple versions of the main title cue. I doubt any of them would be better than the final version, but I would love to hear the other options.

That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing Ethan! Its great to hear a full, in depth look into Tintin. What an awesome score!

I liked that bit on the score. I probably won't see it again, but I liked hearing JW discuss the process and so forth.

I'm irritated at Paramount... seems like every Blu-ray 3D they release nowadays are the ones with the best cover art. Captain America, Hugo and now Adventures of Tintin. Can't they use the gorgeous one-sheet artwork for the DVD too?

That was so great! I wish there was more, though...

On the plus side, I love how enthuastic Williams talks about the music. Lighter pictures seem to bring him a lot of joy.

I really hope he can do one or two more animated films, apart from the sequel of course.

Thanks for posting this! Now that was an excellent little featurette. Of course I could have listened to them parsing the music a lot longer. :lol:

The euphonium and accordion duet for Thompsons was something I have not caught while listening to the score. I thought that the brass instrument heard was tuba.

Williams already forgot he scored Tintin

:rolleyes:

Aren't you a little too long in the tooth to be watching Tintin yourself?

Thanks for posting! We've never heard JW do more than acknowledge the score to Tinitn, so it's great to finally hear him speak in some detail. It also explains some elements of the scoring: why "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" is so much better than the other action cues, and why there were 2 recording sessions.

And it confirms that there were multiple versions of the main title cue. I doubt any of them would be better than the final version, but I would love to hear the other options.

Agreed! :thumbup:

Wonderful!

Wow that was freakin' brilliant! Thanks for posting.

Such a great movie and score. I'm reminded of how masterful the Haddock flashback sequence is from a film making perspective: Spielberg is dead right - Williams' music is what binds this extremely complex idea together and makes it make sense as a expository device. Just wonderful execution on every level; so easy to overlook and indeed, take for granted.

Actually now that I have seen this there's no need for me now to get the Special Edition DVD of Tintin... !

I will just get your standard 1-DVD edition of this film.

Personally I think that was one of the best DVD documentry extras on JW, I adore seeing him work the orchestra at a recording session. Lets hope someone gets that alternate opening title sequence out on a complete score album :drool:

i'm hoping for another great score feature on War Horse :whistle:

Thanks for posting.

The specs of the Blu-Ray

1080p High Definition

High Definition 2.35:1

No 7.1 audio!

DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Really dissapointed about this, I really wanted it in 7.1 as in cinemas :shakehead:

Personally I think that was one of the best DVD documentry extras on JW, I adore seeing him work the orchestra at a recording session. Lets hope someone gets that alternate opening title sequence out on a complete score album :drool:

Thanks for posting.

The specs of the Blu-Ray

1080p High Definition

No 7.1 audio!

DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Really dissapointed about this, I really wanted it in 7.1 as in cinemas :shakehead:

A couple of surround channels makes no difference to me. I just watch movies in 2-channel stereo.

This is really a great JW featurette!

One disappointing thing, though: most (or all?) of the music you hear is not what the orchestra is actually playing in the footage, is it? It's from the OS recording...

Oh well.

I wonder when Spielberg will finally bring out all the countless footage hours of JW's scoring sessions and will edit a proper documentary about his friend...

Now that would be a dream

Thanks for posting.

The specs of the Blu-Ray

1080p High Definition

No 7.1 audio!

DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

A couple of surround channels makes no difference to me. I just watch movies in 2-channel stereo.

I can see your point but I spent a heafty work bonus last year on a full home cinema system and have to say 7.1 discs sound a lot more fuller. I hope War Horse is 7.1 too

Certainly one of the better music featurettes we have from Williams.

So now we have 100% proof that JW initially worked on Tintin for 4 months, then recorded his score, and did not work continuously on it for 16 months as some have suggested.

Certainly one of the better music featurettes we have from Williams.

So now we have 100% proof that JW initially worked on Tintin for 4 months, then recorded his score, and did not work continuously on it for 16 months as some have suggested.

Yup. I thought that was fairly obvious but as you say this is the proof.

Spielberg should create a big 40 years collaboration documentary where interviews with Williams and the director would be interspersed with long sections of the recording sessions footage Spielberg has shot over the years. They could do some really in-depth parsing of each and every collaboration they have done.

Spielberg should create a big 40 years collaboration documentary where interviews with Williams and the director would be interspersed with long sections of the recording sessions footage Spielberg has shot over the years. They could do some really in-depth parsing of each and every collaboration they have done.

Stop it you are making me drool :drool: could you imagine how good something like that would be.

I wonder why the euphonium player isn't in the liner notes?

My guess is that the tuba player Jim Self was doubling as the euphonium player.

If one of the other players doubled, I'd imagine it would be a trombonist. Most professional trombone players know how to play euphonium.

Wow. I must have watched too many music featurettes or I've recognized that trumpet guy; he's also featured in The River Wild clips...

That's a good guess since he is on every other soundtrack recording. :P

If one of the other players doubled, I'd imagine it would be a trombonist. Most professional trombone players know how to play euphonium.

Interesting. I had no idea. I assumed since it is relative of tuba it would be played by a tuba player.

Excellent stuff!

Makes me yearn even more for a feature length interview with him, or a feature length recording sessions film (one of those Spielberg has shot, and that others above have already mentioned).

That's a good guess since he is on every other soundtrack recording. :P

Interesting. I had no idea. I assumed since it is relative of tuba it would be played by a tuba player.

While the actual timbre is closer to a tuba, the range and technique required to play it is more similar to that needed to play a trombone. And a lot of trombonists can already play baritone from marching band or drum corps, which is a close cousin to the euphonium (the fingerings are the same).

This is really a great JW featurette!

One disappointing thing, though: most (or all?) of the music you hear is not what the orchestra is actually playing in the footage, is it? It's from the OS recording...

Oh well.

Another disappointing thing is that we don't get to see Gloria Cheng hammering on the piano...

Do you think John Williams recorded the alternate opening cues or just played them through with the orchestra? If they were recorded someone needs to get them released, I would just love to hear them so much!!! Great featurette though :D

Makes me yearn even more for a feature length interview with him, or a feature length recording sessions film (one of those Spielberg has shot, and that others above have already mentioned).

What's this, Thor wants an extended version of something JW related, and nobody even takes notice?

What's this, Thor wants an extended version of something JW related, and nobody even takes notice?

ROTFLMAO

I was actually disappointed that Jackson wasn't interviewed or included in this featurette. I was hoping to hear him speak about Williams, even for just a comment or two.

I was actually disappointed that Jackson wasn't interviewed or included in this featurette. I was hoping to hear him speak about Williams, even for just a comment or two.

A possible confirmation that Williams will be scoring the sequel? ;)

A possible confirmation that Williams will be scoring the sequel? ;)

Well, he is seen hearing the recording sessions via Skype or something like that, so at least that's something.

Good point!

I am actually still wondering what Jackson't contribution to this movie was (except that the visual effects were created by his company)...

Spielberg at the beginning makes it sound as if Jackson's only contribution was that he saw it. "Michael Kahn edited the movie, I approved the cut, Jackson saw it, and we handed it over to Williams..."

:lol:

Jackson is in partnership with him so of course he'd want to see, and approve it. What did you want him to do, a Poltergeist?

I asked what his contribution was exactly (which ideas were his, how was he involved in the creative or movie-making process, etc.)!

Didn't you read what I wrote?

Of course he saw the movie and approved it, duh! But I mean, beside that...

nice featurette! and it always strikes me how soothing williams voice is. it's crazy.

agreed.

also, I came to wonder how williams feels about listening to his scores after he's done working with them. desplat said in an interview that he hates and never listens to his own scores after he has watched the movie once or twice, which I find quite interesting yet understandable... does anyone know how williams feels about this?

nice featurette! and it always strikes me how soothing williams voice is. it's crazy.

agreed.

also, I came to wonder how williams feels about listening to his scores after he's done working with them. desplat said in an interview that he hates and never listens to his own scores after he has watched the movie once or twice, which I find quite interesting yet understandable... does anyone know how williams feels about this?

Williams has said several times that he doesn't usually dwell on his past scores and I think doesn't like listening to them. He is always looking ahead at a new project instead of thinking what he has just done. He revisits them for concert performances but I think that is the only reason he does that.