The Adventures of Tintin score featurette

The Dark Trilogy

That's an easy claim to make, considering the main portion of that sequence had no cuts at all, as far as I recall. ;)

Huh?

The chase sequence in the movie, as far as I recall it, is one continuous take. No cuts.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an easy claim to make, considering the main portion of that sequence had no cuts at all, as far as I recall. ;)

Huh?

The chase sequence in the movie, as far as I recall it, is one continuous take. No cuts.

I think there are several cuts here and there in between long, continuous shots!

Doing the complete chase in one continous shot would some be somehow cheap and too gimmicky, in my opinion. And Spielberg (who always does the best in terms of effect) isn't that! :)

The beginning of the motorcycle chase has a number of cuts, but once they get back into the city, it's definitely one single take, all the way through the infamous Tintin zipline moment.

The beginning of the motorcycle chase has a number of cuts, but once they get back into the city, it's definitely one single take, all the way through the infamous Tintin zipline moment.

Yes, I remember at the beginning there are some, when Haddock uses the bazooka (or rocket launcher or whatever it is) for example and then afterward when they arrive in the harbor...

I am starting to think of this entire chase sequence like a (distant and animated!) cousin of "The Desert Chase," "The Mine Cart Chase," "Belly of the Steel Beast" etc.! My favorite scene of the movie, by far! :)

Tintin sounds a lot like TLC.

IMO, it sounds a little like TLC,ToD, Hook, Harry Potter 1-3, and CMIYC all jumbled together.

And yes, it's one fantastic score!

But the take on the FYC is the same as on the OST. And officially the FYC can only use what was in the film.

So I can only conclude that you are wrong! Wrongidy wrong wong!

You love to say that word, wrong, don't you? I have seen you shouting it in many other threads lately. Are you going through a phase or something? ;)

But no the take is not the same as on the OST. And even if it is, it contains inserts which are clearly different.

You're right Incanus, the ballet violins at some point in the cue sound a bit more... ballet.

Tintin sounds a lot like TLC.

IMO, it sounds a little like TLC,ToD, Hook, Harry Potter 1-3, and CMIYC all jumbled together.

And yes, it's one fantastic score!

My primary association is Home Alone 2, actually.

Yeah the Pursuit of The Falcon cue on the album and in the film are clearly different - there are overlays, loops, edits, tempo changes and all sorts of things. But overall its the same.

This actually is due to the fact that that cue is so specific (some would call it mickey-mousing), the music follows every jump, every action, every movement on the screen to a T. And it is an EXTREMELY complicated cue, one of the most complex of his entire career. Like literally the various sections of the orchestra are simply swirling with thousands of notes at break neck speed. And this cue was possibly completed a year and a half before the sequence was fully animated as Spielberg says in the Score feature. So if a year later when they have a full render of the sequence and wanna change a few things, the highly specific music will go out of sync even if they elongate a jump by 2 seconds. That is the reason for all the overlays and edits, and loops to keep the music in sync. And they are mostly successful.

For me the track on the OST album is a masterpiece, one of the triumphs of Williams' career, the climax with the explosion of Tintin's theme is one for the ages. It also sounds very good in the film but there is so much destruction happening on the screen in that cue that there have to be a lot of sound effects and that is why the volume of the music is slightly low. But still its a fantastic piece in the movie too.

I am a fan of that sequence even apart from the music, the one take aspect specially raises it to be one of the best in Spielberg's career.

Man , that's a big hall, great sounding.

I didn't expect that, even though Shawn Murphy's mix is one of my favourite of his on this album, he , I have no idea how, always manages to make a huge orchestra sound smaller

Yeah the Pursuit of The Falcon cue on the album and in the film are clearly different - there are overlays, loops, edits, tempo changes and all sorts of things. But overall its the same.

This actually is due to the fact that that cue is so specific (some would call it mickey-mousing), the music follows every jump, every action, every movement on the screen to a T. And it is an EXTREMELY complicated cue, one of the most complex of his entire career. Like literally the various sections of the orchestra are simply swirling with thousands of notes at break neck speed. And this cue was possibly completed a year and a half before the sequence was fully animated as Spielberg says in the Score feature. So if a year later when they have a full render of the sequence and wanna change a few things, the highly specific music will go out of sync even if they elongate a jump by 2 seconds. That is the reason for all the overlays and edits, and loops to keep the music in sync. And they are mostly successful.

For me the track on the OST album is a masterpiece, one of the triumphs of Williams' career, the climax with the explosion of Tintin's theme is one for the ages. It also sounds very good in the film but there is so much destruction happening on the screen in that cue that there have to be a lot of sound effects and that is why the volume of the music is slightly low. But still its a fantastic piece in the movie too.

I am a fan of that sequence even apart from the music, the one take aspect specially raises it to be one of the best in Spielberg's career.

Well said! I agree. Tintin's theme--the way it is used, and quite frequently--actually reminds me more and more of the "Raiders March"! In fact, when the Raiders March is heard for the first time, Indy is being pursued by the Hovitos and he does almost exactly the same stunt, swing from a vine!

If JW decides to do more Tintin movies, I think the odds are pretty good that we'll get a concert piece for Tintin's theme, as well. :)

• 6 months later...