Empire of the Sun coming to Blu-ray June 19th

TownerFan

Ofcourse not, its not jurassic park or indiana jones.

Isn't Spielberg proud of his movies? Warner even restored Blade Runner, which was also a big flop at the time.

It appears this is the year of Spielberg's films on Blu. In the coming months we'll get Jaws, E.T., Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Empire of the Sun and of course also Tintin and War Horse.

If there was a recently made HD Master for use on HD television channels they will probably just use that

We'll probably know spielberg's thoughts if we buy the Blu-ray.

unlikely since he never provides commentary.

Empire has never been a favorite SS film of mine, however the same cannot be said for the score which is far better than the film itself.

The first half is one of Spielberg's great cinematic achievements, partly because he takes the time to unravel a story and its history in an almost trancelike visual state free of the more conventional trappings of his commercial films (post-JAWS, that is).

The second half in the camp gets a bit more conventional, but still is obscenely good epic moviemaking. It is said without EOTS there wouldn't be a SCHINDLER'S LIST and there's some truth to that. I don't see what the score could possibly gain from expansion. There is one schmaltzy choral piece left off the original release but it's hardly 2 minutes long - apart from that, the Warner release was perfect.

One of Spielberg's greatest achievements and by far his most overlooked film as far as awards go. My appreciation for it grew expoencially in the last couple of years

Empire has never been a favorite SS film of mine, however the same cannot be said for the score which is far better than the film itself.

Insert response from Alex, something along the line that he's not surprised, that you better stick to Raiders and Jurassic Park, and some kind of half hearted gay comment.

Well, RAIDERS may be a popular film, but you certainly can tell that Spielberg wasn't very emotionally involved in it, apart from lending his technical proficiency.

Although i'd rather watch RAIDERS than EOTS casually, the latter flies on a much higher plane - emotionally and intellectually.

Well, RAIDERS may be a popular film, but you certainly can tell that Spielberg wasn't very emotionally involved in it, apart from lending his technical proficiency.

You can tell where?

Spielberg's investment in that film is pretty well documented.

This is a nonsense. Or in layman's terms - complete and utter bullshit. Moreover, I can only assume you know nothing of Spielberg's situation (and standing) when he made Raiders.

Although i'd rather watch RAIDERS than EOTS casually, the latter flies on a much higher plane - emotionally and intellectually.

This statement is closer to the plain ridiculousness I mentioned earlier. Or perhaps you're not concerned with directorial prowess.

Ofcourse not, its not jurassic park or indiana jones.

Well, by many accounts Jurassic Park looks like shit on Blu-ray. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up with a new transfer as part of the Centennial series.

As for this Blu-ray, no new extras directly related to the movie. That's disappointing. At least there's a single new extra, unlike the Hook Bu-ray. This is one of the oldest Spielberg DVDs I have in the snapper case and it still looked okay on my last viewing. Hopefully it'll be a spectacular upgrade since this movie looks and sounds friggin' awesome.

the conventions shown in the film have that been there done that, you did it again feeling. The narrative of the film could have used some trimming. It's a terrific film but there are better Spielberg efforts but he did get one hell of a score out of John. Come on every knows that the music to Cadillac of the Skies is much more inspirational than the visuals it's scored too.

Come on every knows that the music to Cadillac of the Skies is much more inspirational than the visuals it's scored too.

It's one of the very peculiar characteristics of this score. It doesn't really score what we're seeing, but the heightened reality of what Jim is seeing

It's fine music (from Jim's viewpoint), but I can't get that (over-scored) shot of Nigel Havers bounding up the stairs out of my head. It's a jarring moment in an otherwise magnificent scene; which means it isn't flawless, by my own standards.

Sorry to dissapoint you guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYrZGG1wL8

Well this is just the intro, so maybe the rest of the short film has original music.

Somehow I doubt that. I don't think Williams would score the short film but leave the intro to various fragments of his patriotic stuff...but who knows? :P

This is probably Spielberg's most underrated movie. I'm glad it's getting the blu-ray treatment.

Well this is just the intro, so maybe the rest of the short film has original music.

Somehow I doubt that. I don't think Williams would score the short film but leave the intro to various fragments of his patriotic stuff...but who knows? :P

Me too, but it's also weird that IMDb lists it as "original" music (although it wouldn't be the first time IMDb got something wrong). And who knows, maybe the intro was added at the last minute and Williams didn't have time to write anything for it. We'll see!

The first half is one of Spielberg's great cinematic achievements, partly because he takes the time to unravel a story and its history in an almost trancelike visual state free of the more conventional trappings of his commercial films (post-JAWS, that is).

The second half in the camp gets a bit more conventional, but still is obscenely good epic moviemaking. It is said without EOTS there wouldn't be a SCHINDLER'S LIST and there's some truth to that. I don't see what the score could possibly gain from expansion.

I sorta agree, but I think the difference is mostly aesthetical. Atmosherically and symbolically, the film is still very strong in the second half. It just becomes more colourless. My best guess is that Spielberg didn't want things to look too good or come off too poetic when we are in the prison camp. People have already enough problems with it as it is. I don't think too many people are realizing where the true 'horror' lies. It's not very explicit.

Well, it's a brilliant film. But it's not a great film; like Raiders.

Maybe, but I find Empire Of The Sun to be a lot more interesting, more complex and more emotionally affecting.

Not that any comparisons between the two are in any way relevant.

Indeed.

I loved this film, personally.

Me too. It's my favorite Spielberg. His other movies are way behind this one.

One of Spielberg's greatest achievements and by far his most overlooked film as far as awards go. My appreciation for it grew expoencially in the last couple of years

I wonder, aren't movie fans slowly changing their mind about this Spielberg film? When it comes to multiple viewing, I find it spielberg's most rewarding film.

I don't see what the score could possibly gain from expansion. There is one schmaltzy choral piece left off the original release but it's hardly 2 minutes long - apart from that, the Warner release was perfect.

Well I find the whole score worth exploring. E.g. the choral and orchestral music for scenes where Jim is all alone in their house has wonderful haunting quality to it. There are some minor thematic variations that would help to tie the music together. And of course the "I Can Bring Everyone Back" choral piece which is as poignant as it is heartbreaking in context and outside it. A complete score would be most welcome.

An OST expansion would be more than welcome in my book. Usually I like how Williams arranges his OSTs, but in this case it's assembled in a very strange way, giving away one of the big climaxes ("Cadillac of the Skies") too early. In fact, I made a different playlist for my own listening purposes.