How good is John Williams as a conductor?

JoeinAR

12 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

So just because Williams doesn't have his name on some list of "Greatest recordings"of a certain work, doesn't make him not worth his salt as a conductor. So the wide gulf I would describe as salesmanship, ignorance, jealousy, and this snobby purist, elitist attitude which is a combination of all those things. And that's really a shame, because just about every other genre of music doesn't have this problem, nor pretty much any other realm of art or creative areas. You don't see people knocking Frank Gehry for his buildings not being in a traditional vain, or that his buildings are not acceptable because he had never designed something like the Roman Colosseum.

Β 

So what are the repertoire pieces that are not 'Imperial March' et al. that you recommend as especially vibrant examples of JW conducting where others, maybe more famous ones, have delivered less stellar interpretations?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Isn't his version of The Planets average at best?

Β 

On some classical web sites it’s among the recommended versions.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Isn't his version of The Planets average at best?

Β 

Yes.Β  But the competition is Stiff.Β  Here is a comprehensive rating of the recordings of the Planets.Β  The Dutoit/Montreal is an excellent choice for No. 1, very good interpretation, detailed, and mighty in its power.Β  https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

Β 

I've heard about 50 of the recordings on the list and pretty much can't fault the ranking.

• 3 weeks later...
On β€Ž3β€Ž/β€Ž15β€Ž/β€Ž2012 at 8:58 AM, JoeinAR said:

So how good is John as a conductor, and not just his own music?

Β 

Speaking as someone who used to be a professional musician (trumpet) many years ago, I'd say you have to be a pretty good performer to play under Williams because his conducting from what I've seen isn't very technically accurate. That doesn't matter, though, given the high level of talent in the musicians he works with. I think a more amateur orchestra would have a tough time following his style.

Β 

Having said that, I have noticed that JW's conducting style on stage vs. how he conducts during recording sessions is different. He's much more technical on the soundstage, whereas I think I he conducts more for the audience on the concert stage.

There's also the fact that once on stage he's rehearsed and much of the technical stuff is over with. Β It's no secret that conductors are often way more showy on stage, because they can afford to be. Β The hard work has already been done. Β When recording, it's all rehearsal and it all has to be done right with no showboating.

I don't really know, I've never performed with him, but from listening, watching, and hearing what musicians who have say, I think he's obviously competent but not like a superstar or anything.

3 minutes ago, hornist said:

And you have to get a life!!Β 

Β 

As always these arguments end up speaking for themselves, revealing no useful insights or truth about the subject at hand, but plenty about the people involved - including you, once again, Jurassic Shark. Β Pretty damn sad.

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is this guy autistic? I've suspected such.

Β 

Β 

I really don't know what the deal is with a few people on here and it's not really my place to speculate about it, I just wish it wouldn't pollute this place so much.Β 

I have AspergerΒ myself (or is it AspergerS? Can I refer to myself as an Aspergian? Automatic spell check insists I can't :P), so I was just curious. This guy's a wacko, but I'm he's entertaining at least!

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Β 

I really don't know what the deal is with a few people on here and it's not really my place to speculate about it, I just wish it wouldn't pollute this place so much.Β 

Β 

Are you not going either KK? Β Not so bummed if I'm not the only one. Β To add insult to injury the trip we did have planned to London this week has been moved back so I probably could have done it after all.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Are you not going either KK? Β Not so bummed if I'm not the only one. Β To add insult to injury the trip we did have planned to London this week has been moved back so I probably could have done it after all.

Β 

Alas, no. :(Β A few of us had a Spain/Italy trip planned around this time too so I could have worked around that, but that had to get pushed back due to conflicts.Β 

Β 

Williams and JWFan just needs to come to Toronto!