Jurassic Park 3D re-release in theaters April 5 2013

Matt C

Exactly, while it lacks the detail of the BluRay, it's color's and full picture make it better in my book. I think the colors in the 3D trailer actually more accurately resemble how they looked on the big screen in 1993. I remember the movie looking more vivid like that. I also think that perhaps the trailer may look less detailed because of whatever encode Yahoo! used to put the trailer up, even though it is available in HD. You can tell in some of the digital transition shots that those looked fuzzy too, meaning it isn't the JP footage itself that is or will be. So I'm starting to think more and more that this really is getting a new and better transfer than the Blu.

Please don't judge the sharpness of the new master based on a heavily compressed movie trailer! I'm told this got the same 4K treatment that Raiders got for the Bluray this year, so the film will look utterly spectacular in IMAX. If you've seen the new Titanic Bluray (also remastered for the 3D conversion) it'll give you an idea of how pristine and sharp a proper restoration can look.

And the colours of the Bluray are horrible. And don't mistake film grain for lousy video noise which is a result of excessive edge enhancement and way too much sharpening (only accentuating the film grain). The Bluray was taken from a 7 or 8 year old film transfer which was originally planned for HD-DVD. Hardly good enough to convert into 3D (the master needs to be incredibly high-res to convert a film into 3D properly... let's hope the Star Wars OT gets similar treatment!)

But, Chaac, if what Crumbs says is true, it will actually be quite detailed as well.

The Yahoo! trailer is clearly compressed. Look at the shots in the HD version of the text that appears inbetween the footage. Even that is not really high definition. Especially the fade-in/out shot near the beginning of the jungle cruisers by the Rex paddock, you see clear digital pixelation from the fading that occurs when a video has been compressed too much.

If true, Crumbs, this is some great news, and exactly what I hoped it would happen. I think I stated several pages ago that they definitely could NOT have used the BluRay transfer for the 3D to possibly work given all the grain the film had in the transfer. It was far too much, and would have made the 3D look as if every scene had buzzing micro-robots from Crichton's other novel "Prey" inhabiting it. I just honestly hope there will be a BluRay release of THIS transfer after the theatrical event happens. Judging by the way Titanic turned out, it could very well happen. And since the BluRay didn't feature a 3D edition, the double-dip won't look quite as bad. However, if the 2D version they would likely include is the same transfer as the current Blu I would be furious, lol.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking on that, but on Koray's opinion on a Haddock picture from Tintin.

Personally, looking at the comparison, the colours of the second one look like they have more sunlight, while the first one looks like a more depressing afternoon.

Don't you actually lose details in 3D conversions? Look at the Titanic comparisons where the hair gets scrubbed out:

http://www.highdefdi...ws.com/?p=89505

Wow! That is pretty interesting! I guess they had to remove those extra thin hair strands because it was too much for the 3D to handle or something? I wonder why they had to do that?

Also, how did they manage to get proper 2D screenshots from the 3D release, meaning it doesn't look odd in any way. Is there a certain way to rip the 3D version so it's 2D?

There was an interview earlier this year with either Spielberg or Jon Landau saying they'd been in touch with one another discussing the Titanic conversion, and that Spielberg wanted the identical process done to JP because he was so stunned by how good Titanic look. Ergo, the remaster and the same 3D conversion house that did Titanic also converting JP.

And yes, some very fine details get removed altogether (sadly) when converting. It's not a perfect art, but it's mindnumbingly painful stuff. Every single object in every single frame of the whole film has to be cut out with perfect attention to detail (yes, even strands of hair and leaves!), then placed on depth layers to give the image a proper 3D geometry. Then, even more painstakingly, all the information behind each object must be "painted in" digitally for the left/right eye variants. So sometimes it's just easier to remove small details altogether, because they're too hard to "cut out" per se.

And yes, a 3D Bluray is actually technically running at 48 frames per second, 24 FPS for the left eye, 24 FPS for the right. It's essentially two different video files playing at the one time overlaying each other. The individual files (either left or right eye) can basically just be ripped off the Bluray to analyse. Hopefully though, Universal will release the remastered version in 2D pre-conversion (all the details intact). I'm guessing because Universal... spared no expense... restoring the film, they'll want their money's worth with double/triple dips. :D

Random bit of cool info... I just found an unseen ending to the Mr. DNA sequence! Check out the first video at the link below. The 2nd vid is a pencil test version!

http://kurtzanim.wordpress.com/entertainment/jurassic-park/

It's worth noting these guys also did the animated cereal box animations for Minority Report, as evidenced in this lovely video:

http://kurtzanim.wordpress.com/film-titles/

I won't say where I heard this from (although I'm sure if you read this thread you can guess), and I'm hoping they are wrong or misinformed themselves, but apparently the Mr. DNA sequence will NOT be in 3D in the 3D release. A bit disappointing, honestly.

I won't say where I heard this from (although I'm sure if you read this thread you can guess), and I'm hoping they are wrong or misinformed themselves, but apparently the Mr. DNA sequence will NOT be in 3D in the 3D release. A bit disappointing, honestly.

I guess that's because Hammond and the 'Guests' are watching the DNA animation on a screen in the "traditional" 2D way (assuming the movie is set in 1993), so it wouldn't make sense for us to see the sequence in 3D. If you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Since Jurassic Park is my personal favorite film, and this year now does mark the 20th Anniversary, I made it a point to FINALLY get the right tools and software to offload my VHS collection to digital. I just started doing this, and one of the first things I offloaded was THIS.

Here is an amazing documentary from 1993 that centers around how one would go about cloning dinosaurs, if it really were possible, what to do with the dinosaurs if they were realized, and if it was even ethical to begin with. It's hosted by Jeff Goldblum (Ian Malcolm from the film), and features author Michael Crichton, director Steven Spielberg, and the paleontologists who worked on the film; Jack Horner and Robert T. Bakker. While the focus on the documentary is primarily the fascinating questions and the proposed science, for fans of the film there are some unique glimpses of behind the scenes material and more. A real treat of a documentary that was only ever released on VHS, and worth preserving.

If you guys want to see other things I may dig up, let me know! This to me was the most important in preserving and showing everyone. It really should have been on the BluRay.

I thought the fact that Intrada released so many Universal scores in 2012 (Charade, High Plains Drifter, Coogan's Bluff, The Shadow, and Conan The Barbarian) would bode well for them to get Jurassic Park in 2013, but apparently anything Spielberg/Williams requires their authorization by both JW and SS for Universal (or any studio) to even think about licensing it out to a boutique label.

Hopefully with the success of 1941 and Hook another Spielberg/Williams expansion is on the horizon. JP would certainly be nice for its 20th anniversary.

I dunno. I think we got really lucky with 1941 and Hook. I hope the fact that Hook isn't sold out yet isn't a hindrance.

The only bad reissues I can think of off the top of my head were the Laurent whoever produced ones. If it's being done by La-La Land, Intrada, FSM or occasionally Varese, it usually turns out good and we get most, if not all, of the necessary additional music. Sometimes, even more. Hook is a weird exception. If those guys could release the Star Wars, Indy or Harry Potter scores, we'd probably get everything. Williams does his thing with albums, but I think the problem with getting expanded/complete scores is whoever is working on them. Just don't put that fucking Laurent guy and Williams in charge.

In fairness to Laurent, he's really at the mercy of what Williams asks him to do. And we all know Williams makes some... questionable choices with his score releases. We all saw what happened to Hook even in the trustworthy hands of the folks at LLL.

I don't think the shortcomings of the Indy box are Laurent's fault; Williams demanded the microedits, had final say on the unreleased cues that got included, and likely chose the alternates over film versions and kept the original cues intact rather than including inserts.

Ultimately, Laurent's pretty much Spielberg's right-hand man for the memorabilia that accompanies his films, so he's going to do what he's told. Just like how Spielberg prevents him from including deleted scenes on any home video releases. The guy's in an untenable position; what Spielberg/Williams wants takes precedence over what he'd probably love to release to the fans. The Indy box was also at the mercy of reuse fees, and Lucasfilm was only prepared to pay a certain amount (weren't the increments for unreleased music fees 15 minutes? Hence TOD got almost exactly 45 minutes of unreleased music, and TLC got 30 minutes?)

The accidental pitch change from one track of the original OST was carried over to the LLL CD, there were no NEW pitch problems.

Oh, I was referring to the pitch problems in Map Room - Dawn.

But yeah, I guess we can accept that Prologue on Hook in the wrong pitch is another intentional Williams' creative choice.

I dunno.b I think we got really lucky with 1941 and Hook. I hope the fact that Hook isn't sold out yet isn't a hindrance.

Its quite surprising that 1941 sold out rather fast, but not Hook.

Both have had decent quality boots out for years, so that cant be it.

Yeah, 5000 must have been just slightly above the number of hardcore Williams fans

Well at least we know approximately how many we are .

Would SW Prequel expanded scores sell more than 5000?

Btw, I thought maybe you JAWS fans would know... does the guy who does the voice of this trailer for the ride sound like the guy who did the voice on the old JAWS movie trailers? Sounds like it to me!

Gee, the lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh...staggers me.

Nice qoute, E.T., but in what way are you "supervised and approved by John Williams"?

I dunno.b I think we got really lucky with 1941 and Hook. I hope the fact that Hook isn't sold out yet isn't a hindrance.

Its quite surprising that 1941 sold out rather fast, but not Hook.

Both have had decent quality boots out for years, so that cant be it.

The answer, my dear Stefan, is simple: "1941" is the better score. Put another way: "1941" is the second mouse...

For those who love Jurassic Park and dinosaurs in general, and like watching it set to interesting performances of Williams music (and etc), check out my very own video I just uploaded recently. It was shot by me when I was 13 on a visit to the San Diego Museum when it had the once-traveling Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park: The Lost World exhibit. It featured quite an array of dinosaur skeletons and JP stuff, including a unique video presentation with Jeff Goldblum, that I also attempted to record (saved for the end). I of course did the slight editing and music editing recently.

Enjoy!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10319

BluRay release of the 3D version will be out April 23rd. Perhaps this means both IMAX and other theaters really will only show this one week? It sure won't play more than a month, anyway.

The release above also states they will release individual BluRays of all three films due on March 26th, and will retain all the same bonus features. There will be no new bonus features, even in the 3D release, apparently. The cover for the 3D release appears to be the same as the teaser poster, whereas the individual releases will have the same covers those individual DVDs had back in August of last year (which I liked). icon_smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...