La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

It always comes down to the seconds, doesn't it?

That loop is really bad. It's the only audio flub of the set in my opinion. I think what La-La Land did with the film stems is pretty exciting otherwise. The end of the Sword Fight was easily the most necessary expansion. Without the villain's demise, any piece would feel unresolved.

It's still a little surreal to see Hook sitting next to my stereo, like seeing a melting clock drip from one of my end tables.

So, I'm up to " you are the pan" on disc two. I figured this would be a good time to comment. THIS IS AMAZING. The sound quality is way better than the OST and hearing the score in its complete form ( as opposed to the normal soundtrack summary ) really adds to the beauty of the whole work. I look forward to listening to the rest of the album as time permits.

My SAE order FINALLY shipped!!!! So while most of you are already enjoying this release, I get to wait another week for mine, whoopee!

It's worth it, KK. I had heard versions of cues in 320 before I received my CD and it truly does not compare. Physical music still matters. Through my DVD player and stereo system, I refuse to let my neighbors children sleep.

When I opened it, it appeared to my friends as if I were crying but I assure you, it was merely the light reflecting off the jewel-case...

It's a handsome looking set. The covers and liners look and feel classy.

Jim Titus classes up everything he touches

It's a handsome looking set. The covers and liners look and feel classy.

Jim Titus classes up everything he touches

What other work has he done? Any other soundtracks?

Pretty much, any LLL with fantastic art design (aside from Star Trek V). 1941 and Home Alone come to mind, but he's done much more.

1941 was excellent. I loved the cover to that one. Is he responsible for this latest POTA release? It seems to have a similiar style to 1941.

What's the deal with the Expanded Archival label as well? Why some and not others?

What's the deal with the Expanded Archival label as well? Why some and not others?

That is used exclusively for titles licensed from Warner Brothers

only today?

Yup, only today. I think its probably because I ordered the FSM Ben-Hur set with Hook, but it was a long wait (and now even more waiting!). I suppose the wait shall be worth it though!

Its not just the design, it is nicely printed. The paper has a nice look and feel to it.

That it does. My roommate spotted me the money for it on the 27th because I had been off work for a while and when it arrived and he saw how nice it was, he understood immediately why I had to have it. I've caught him casually leafing through the booklet. Still thinks I'm a big nerd, though.

only today?

Yup, only today. I think its probably because I ordered the FSM Ben-Hur set with Hook, but it was a long wait (and now even more waiting!). I suppose the wait shall be worth it though!

Yes it will definitely be worth it. :)

I have been listening to the set two days now and am overall very happy with it. Williams obviously wanted to build the whole release around the OST structure with unreleased material making up the padding between the music from the original soundtrack. I thought this immediately after listening to the few opening tracks that duplicate the track order of the OST. I certainly do not mind since you can arrange this material in your player the way you like it. It is just great to have it all there.

That first minute and 20 seconds of "The Swordfight", especially the fanfare that starts it....I swear, Williams does Korngold better than Korngold does Korngold!

That first minute and 20 seconds of "The Swordfight", especially the fanfare that starts it....I swear, Williams does Korngold better than Korngold does Korngold!

Indeed! Always has been my favourite part of the Ultimate War. Swashbuckling bravado at its best! I would love to know how many cymbal hits the Ultimate War has in total. For once the cymbal player got to play for his money's worth. :D

I'll say, that's easily my favourite bit of the entire score and works so brilliantly in the film, can't stop playing those few seconds bit when pan flys up to hook.

Can anyone provide a list of what on the original Epic album set is NOT on the new 2 disc set?

I think it's just the choirless 'face of pan' and alternate celeste section and ending in 'arrival of tink/flight to neverland'. And clean beggining to farewell neverland.

After listening to the set a couple times, I can say I'm pretty satisfied with it overall. Yes there are some sound issues with "The Ultimate War" but it's in no way a disaster and most of the music I wanted is there. My biggest problem is some weird sequencing, like the track "Follow That Shadow" being in the wrong place chronologically. Considering most of the album is chronological changes like that disrupt the flow, especially considering how much of a narrative there is to the score.

After listening to the set a couple times, I can say I'm pretty satisfied with it overall. Yes there are some sound issues with "The Ultimate War" but it's in no way a disaster and most of the music I wanted is there. My biggest problem is some weird sequencing, like the track "Follow That Shadow" being in the wrong place chronologically. Considering most of the album is chronological changes like that disrupt the flow, especially considering how much of a narrative there is to the score.

I'm satisfied with it too. It seems a lot of people are fine with it, except the rest of "The Ultimate War".

Can anyone provide a list of what on the original Epic album set is NOT on the new 2 disc set?

I think it's just the choirless 'face of pan' and alternate celeste section and ending in 'arrival of tink/flight to neverland'. And clean beggining to farewell neverland.

No, the alternate (technically the original) celeste section of "The Arrival Of Tink" is ONLY available on the pre-Concorde bootleg. The OST, LLL, Concorde boot, and the film itself all have the revised version already inserted

The only things on the OST not on the new LLL CD are:

1. film mix of The Face Of Pan where the choir is removed

2. original ending of I Don't Believe In Fairies, which is replaced by the Revised Ending on the LLL CD

3. clean ending of "Home Of The Lost Boys", which segues early to "Enter Rufio" on the LLL CD (in the track "From Mermaids To Lost Boys"

4. clean ending to "Smee Steals The Show" ("Smee's Plan"), because the LLL CD segues to "Believe Your Eyes"

5. some alternate takes in The Ultimate War

6. clean opening of "Farewell Neverland"

You will find all of this information, plus more, here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21590

Sorry to bother your chronological discussion but yesterday when I was having 6 hours drive (to Karelia)

had wonderful opportunity to listen this score. While driving I tried to read the track titles(very small text for this aged :whistle:) and very happily realized

that the next track was scrolling in my car's CD player's screen. How cool is that. And safe.

Yea! LLL does that on most (all?) of their CDs. (Actually, it might just be stuff pressed by Sony, not sure). Anyways, sometimes they sneak cue titles in that aren't mentioned in the booklet, like Masters Of The Universe

Having finally heard it i boldly proclaim

- for all the overblown rambunctiousness the scores offers, the London scenes and FAREWELL NEVERLAND seem to have the most staying power for me

- most of Williams' edits are good

- THE ULTIMATE WAR sounds not as dreadful as the samples indicated, but dreadful enough in spots. One thing LLL can be faulted with is that the didn't correct some noticeable volume drops in key moments. I had to do it in CoolEdit.

- the rest is fine as it is, sound is great

- now that i have listened to HOOK for hours, i problably will not return to it the next 5 years

:sigh:

I love the set, but I'm hating the weird loop in Ultimate War part 1. WTF?!?

That's during "Form Ranks" if I remember correctly. There's also another loop in "The End Of Hook" just like in the film. You would have thought they caught those and remove the loops. Not sure if that cue was from the film stems or not. All though it sounds like it is with that loop, as it's exactly like how it is in the film.

Strangely, IMHO I think that Ultimate War part 1 sounds better than on the OST. So it may not be the film stems?

Maybe they tried to recreate the film version, what - in this case - would be totally nonesense.

Just listened to all but the bonus tracks for the first time. Overall, it's a great set. I wish they would have used the OST version of Ultimate War Part 1 (with the additional stuff from the film stems tacked on, of course). There's a micro edit and a loop--the former is kinda nice, but the latter is pretty annoying. The volume dips were also pretty annoying, as was the weird intro to "Farewell Neverland." Other than that, no complaints.

The score reminded me of what a great melody maker JW is. In the beginning of "Pirates!" we get like four different themes for the bad guys, most of them will only be used 2-3 times throughout the score because there's other more important material that gets more development. My point is, most of JW's secondary themes are way better than other composer's primary themes.

Indeed! Always has been my favourite part of the Ultimate War. Swashbuckling bravado at its best! I would love to know how many cymbal hits the Ultimate War has in total. For once the cymbal player got to play for his money's worth. :D

Its funny you say that, the film take of the Ultimate War has the cymbal playing a little differently at times... so you may have to count those too :-p

There's at least two cymbal crashes I know that aren't on the same beats that I'm pretty certain aren't on the LLL or OST but thats ok :-p

:lol: Undoubtedly the cymbal player is loosing sleep over such discovery when he hears of it.

Is there a concert version of the Hook Main theme anywhere?

The theme tht plays at o:32 in this cue ->

I hope I am currently identifying this theme as the main theme. And is there a concert version of this theme?

Thanks. I've heard this one before but this is a suite rather than a theme track - that is plays two of the themes along with some other maiterial from the score. And the Flying theme clearly rules this track more than the main theme.

There some other weird instruments in Hook. During the jig that comes write before Hook's theme in "Presenting the Hook," there's some weird moaning sound. And I could've sworn I heard birds chirping in on of the tracks on LLL's release.