La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Or both are inspired from the same classical music origins, perhaps

i was thinking that too, considering the sound of the fanfare.  british i assume? it sounds british, even if i'm completely wrong

Listening to this release today. Man what an amazing body of action writing the Ultimate War cues are. Such a blast to listen to. 

@Goldfingers

nice catch.  yeah i stand by my opinion of Hook being temped on this episode.  Hook was released in 1991, and Phantom Train of Doom in '93, but could have definitely been scored in '92 (but i'm not totally sure).  They scored these episodes way before they were shot at times.  Plus the Lucas/Williams connection.   It's just funny that I'm finally hearing this because again, i rarely listen to Hook.

On 16/11/2021 at 7:46 PM, Jay said:

Or both are inspired from the same classical music origins, perhaps

There is no clear template from a classical music piece that JW used for his Banquet cue, it's 100% JW stuff. Joel McNeely is a wonderful composer and a true nice chap, but here he was adhering very very closely to the template of the temp track, which was of course Hook.

Heck its obvious that phantom train of doom has many williams references, hook, belly of the steel beast, desert chase….

i think i read in an interview that mcneely used this series to improve his skills.

definately here he was trying orchestration and adaptation…

this score is very fun to try to search all the references.