GNP Crescendo announces Star Trek First Contact Complete.

Ollie

Where did you guys order? All directly at GNP? Do we know when retaielrs get this in stock?

I've ordered mine at MM and am moderately impatient since my Hook order is still pending at SAE. I want *something* soon.

I'm listening to it now - I'm up to track 10 only so far, but the sound quality is amazing! You can hear room noises and everything just sounds super crisp and clear. Seems like a perfect release!

How awesome is Search for the Borg?

Trent, I like the updated cover more than the other. The planet looked like Tatooine or something Star Warsy.

Trent, I like the updated cover more than the other. The planet looked like Tatooine or something Star Warsy.

Thanks. :)

Where did you guys order? All directly at GNP? Do we know when retaielrs get this in stock?

I ordered mine directly from GNP.

Got mine. Listened straight through. This is an exceptional release. Sound quality is startling. This has to be one of the best unexpected surprises in recent memory.

Seems amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Contact-Limited-Complete/dp/B007QZQ8TO/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333748471&sr=1-3

This wasn't on my immediate purchase list, so I can deal with an extended wait for that kind of savings.

The main theme is one of my favourites from Jerry. I think it s fantastic way to open the film and score as well, the significance of the theme becoming gradually clearer since much of the score is quite dark and eerie and action oriented. Goldsmith is saying "This is what this film is actually all about!". And then he brings it to a wonderful conclusion in the finale cues. Magnificent.

He doing basically what he tried to do with Alien.

Jonathan Frakes expected that Jerry would write something dark and ominous to signify the threat of the Borg in the main title. Jerry went another way, and it really works.

It is again a great example of how the composer finds what is the essence of the film and portrays that musically.

The collaboration between father and son is awesome. Joel kept the same orchestrations for his music and if no one knew that the score was by two composers because sometimes it can be hard to tell.

He did a good job in some parts, emulating his father's style. But in the action material, you really can hear a different composer is doing it.

The thematic basis is very good for a score that was done in 3 weeks. Goldsmith resists the urge of lifting entire sections from his previous two Trek scores but instead takes a single theme from Trek 5, that was not really associated with a specific character and uses it in this score as a sort of binding agent. The fact that most of the time the orchestration and instrumentation of his "quest" theme here is different then it was in the Final Frontier means it doesn't feel like it's something he just tacked on. It's very much part of the fabric of this score. (Goldsmith has always been a master in the way he integrates themes with the rest of his musical material)

His two Borg themes, one often in pounding percussion of droning synth, the other, very much an extension of the first Borg theme often plays in powerful brass statements.

I love the way Goldsmith employs this second Borg theme for the scene were the escape pods launch. The theme plays triumphantly...like the Borg are winning.

The action material is surprisingly varied for a score that was written on the run. (unlike Insurrection). The action starts fantastically with Red Alert. Temporal Wake is a fantastic cue, and i love the way the Dish builds from a slow, creeping pace to a manic frenzy.

Jerry was very kind in handing Joel the action climax, but he keeps the emotional climax, First Contact for himself. His FC theme is finally in full force here. Hints of his Vulcan music can be heard, but only subtly.

It really is an excellent score. Not ground breaking maybe. But really solid, but a splendid theme.

Wow I had no idea they wrote this score in 3 weeks! :o All the more impressive!

Well father and son made a pretty darn good pairing in this one. You are right that Joel's action music does have a slightly different feel than his father's but he does integrate his stylings and themes very well. And as you mentioned Jerry generously (pressed for time most likely) gave the action finale to Joel who handled it quite rousingly. The emotional climax is pure Goldsmith, his theme almost hymn like and beatific at the end.

And since I heard this score before ST V the Quest theme has always been attached to this film and score in my mind. Hearing it later in ST V was a great and happy surprise, the music continuity being very gratifying in the very status quo world of ST where every film/episode is a new adventure. And the return of the Klingon theme is always a welcome sound to my ears. :)

So far I'd been waiting to get this one, but for $15.81 at Amazon, I could only wait this far. No farther.

If people are waiting to order it, they really shouldn't. We don't know what the limit size for this score is.

Awesome. Great edition size. Plenty of time for everyone who wants one to snag it.

I'm so grateful Paramount is ensuring we get all these scores, and that they're done properly.

I'm annoyingly on the fence about this, because I bought the digital album last year, but I've managed to preview this set, and the additional music is pretty good.

And having looked that the cover a few more times, especially in comparison to the custom ones posted here; it does indeed suck :)

I just noticed something.

In the film, there is no score at all during the scenes that play on earth, apart from the First Contact scene. I wonder if this was a deliberate decision made by the film makers. (Jerry did score a brief moment for when Cochrane was chased, at the end of Fully Functional, but it was cut out of the film)

"The Phoenix" was based on Earth, in the missile silo, when data "safely traverses the distance".

There is also music for when Zefram Cochrane is running because he doesn't want to be a statue, and Riker phasers him.

That's off the top of my head. But yes, much of the scoring is in space, sicne that is where the Borg are.

There is also music for when Zefram Cochrane is running because he doesn't want to be a statue, and Riker phasers him.

That cue was not used in the film, so it's only The Phoenix.

If you compare that to the fact that the scenes on The Enterprise were scored almost wall-to wall.

Want to save a couple bucks? It is now on Amazon for $15 and some change.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B007QZQ8TO

Ordered!

Things aren't as bright as they seem!

I didn't plan to post but I wanted to let you guys know that Amazon do not have any stock yet, and won't until I get them to agree to set the price the same as everyone else. I want everyone to get their CDs quick as poss and figured this is something you would appreciate knowing.

Melanie

Source: http://filmscoremont...?threadID=88014

Standing up to Amazon... I like that :)

It's £15 on Amazon UK too, but with a release date of the end of April, and from 'Traditions Alive LLC' (who the hell are they?).

I think I'm gonna order this, but not sure from whom.

The pricing issue with Amazon is not at all about GNP's profit. Amazon demand a larger discount than anybody else so they can price lower in the general marketplace. My problem this week is that letting Amazon sell at 15.83 seems like a big middle finger to everyone who ordered direct from me, to Intrada and SAE and the like. I asked them nicely to go with 19.98 for a while and the only answer I get is that they will set their own price. I feel differently about items that will be freely available for the long term. I hope this makes sense.

Same source

Well isn't that free enterprise? GNP would charge Amazon the same price as any other reseller, but if Amazon wants to sell them at a loss, that's their business.

Yes, it's a slap in the face to those of us who bought directly from GNP in the first place, but the same thing happens when you buy something on sale from Newegg or Woot that is still full price at the MFR's website.

I wouldn't order any CDs released by the labels IE: Intrada, FSM and LLL from Amazon. However, other stuff I would order as Steef's right that a lot of times they can be much cheaper than anywhere else.

For CD's though I'd rather order directly from the label or from Peter (Movie Music).

• 8 years later...
3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So... Do I need to keep any OST tracks apart from the songs?

Also, why was so much Star Trek material expanded in 2012?

Because Star Trek Into Darkness was about to be released in 2013 probably. 

• 2 years later...