What's the Next Williams Expanded Release?

King Mark

Next Expanded JW Release  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The Next Williams Expanded Release

• Harry Potter Box Set
    • Dracula
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World
    • Jurassic Park/The Lost World Combo
    • Star Wars Prequels
    • A 60's comedy score
    • Other...

If we're talking about Far and Away, we might as well be talking about the 3 Oliver Stone movies, JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, and Nixon! :)

Oh good call. I would love to see some kind of expanded/complete release of those 3 as well. :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's think about OS albums by John Williams that don't need an Expanded Edition treatment...

Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan come to mind. Anything else?

Rosewood? (I am not familiar enough with this score/movie to be able to tell...)

They represent some of Williams' best work, those 3 scores. BOTFOJ is my all-time favorite Williams score and a legitimate complete version of that can't come soon enough!

BOTFOJ is my all-time favorite Williams score and a legitimate complete version of that can't come soon enough!

Seriousy? :blink:

You like this better than Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, etc?

I just don't see Williams as someone that I need every album ever made, or even need to listen to every album once in order to make such a misguided, off-based, and neurotic opinion.

BOTFOJ is my all-time favorite Williams score and a legitimate complete version of that can't come soon enough!

Yeah, I honestly do. It's a score that I developed a very strong emotional attchement to, it's a score that means a great deal to me. Much like Accidental Tourist is Miguel's favorite.

I remember I bought the OS album in Tokyo, Japan when I was 13 or so.

Needless to say, back then I still listened to the CD on my Discman, and it got so scratched, I had to replace the CD a couple of years ago...

Ahhhh the memories. And yeah, it's also one of Oliver Stone's best movies.

Yeah, I honestly do. It's a score that I developed a very strong emotional attchement to, it's a score that means a great deal to me. Much like Accidental Tourist is Miguel's favorite.

It is a masterful score that I have a very strong connection to as well. I first listened to the suite on the Music for Stage and Screen but after that I had to find the OST. And the bootlegs show that there is probably 35 to 40 minutes of score and alternates. Some of it might be repetetive but there are brilliant variations amoung the unreleased material.

Hmmm, if Jason says it's other, then maybe Towering Inferno?

We're still getting Lincoln at the end of the year, remember.

We've also got Robopocalypse in 2013 and probably the Moses biopic.

how about Always or Stepmom.

Jaws 2 doesn't have anything to really expand

dracula is beautiful and haunting, but it's regular release is all that is needed.

I'd say Sorcerer's Stone and Azkaban.

I don't really see the Prequels ever getting an expanded release. Not to say I wouldn't snatch it up if it were released though! The Harry Potters are too recent for expanded releases also IMO. I think (and hope!) we get an expanded Dracula. I love the recent 2-disc set of "The Fury". Let's get the same for Dracula. Disc 1=full score, Disc 2=remastered original soundtrack album. Jaws 2 would also be very welcome.

Call me crazy, but I'd really like to see better quality and/or expanded releases of Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction as well. Two slightly dated but excellent and HUGELY under-appreciated scores.

There's already an excellent release of The Towering Inferno. Would a re-release really have that much more music than the incredible FSM set?

There's already an excellent release of The Towering Inferno. Would a re-release really have that much more music than the incredible FSM set?

It would give a chance for many to get the score in the first place.

Sure, you could have the complete score on disc 1 and the original LP & some alternates on disc 2

I for one would STRONGLY welcome new versions of Towering Inferno, Jane Eyre, Dracula, Jaws II, The Eiger Sanction, and Earthquake as I don't have any of them on CD right now

JP fits on one disc... excluding the "Theme" and maybe the alternate take of "Journey to the Island which I doubt they'd put since it's not that good of a performance.

If they wanted to include those or anything else, they'd have to make a second disc because it only just barely fits on one disc so I think they should do a JP/TLW combo pack... complete score for both. That would fit really nicely. Disc 1 (JP full score), D 2 (TLW full score), D3 (Rest of TLW, plus extras).

I'd spend $40 on that!

Although, I LOVE to DEATH all the 70's williams... Towering Inferno, Jaws (1 and 2), Earthquake...I'd love ALL of these heh

If "Other..." means Star Wars IV, V, VI, E.T. and Indy, that's my vote!

The Varese release of Dracula is a re-recording like the original MCA Jaws and E.T., isn't it? So I guess that's the one...

Dracula and ET are NOT re-recordings.

Only the LPs of How To Steal A Million, Earthquake, The Eiger Sanction, Jaws, and The Fury were total re-recordings recorded at a later date with a different /reduced orchestra

Right! The original 1982 E.T. is partially re-recording. As for Dracula, I didn't watch the movie, so I thought it was the same schema...

I for one would STRONGLY welcome new versions of Towering Inferno, Jane Eyre, Dracula, Jaws II, The Eiger Sanction, and Earthquake as I don't have any of them on CD right now

GREAT choices, Jason. My list is identical to yours, but I'd swap Jaws 2 with the Reivers.

Right! The original 1982 E.T. is partially re-recording.

No! All the music you hear on the OST that wasn't in the film (the concert arrangements and alternates) was written at the same time as the actual film cues and recorded with the same orchestra during the same recording sessions

GREAT choices, Jason. My list is identical to yours, but I'd swap Jaws 2 with the Reivers.

Oh that's right, I don't have The Reivers OST either!

There are so many great choices....I still want a nice sexy box set of all the Kraft Theatre stuff. I love the early Johnny Williams, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!

But I'd definitely love Dracula and Far and Away. I'll be happy to have ANY bit of new music from Williams, so I'm not very picky.

Right! The original 1982 E.T. is partially re-recording.

No! All the music you hear on the OST that wasn't in the film (the concert arrangements and alternates) was written at the same time as the actual film cues and recorded with the same orchestra during the same recording sessions

Hm... that's news to me. I thought it was just a re-recording like Jaws. I didn't know about when it was recorded or which orchestra was used. But, whatever! Another expanded E.T. is surely appreciated, isn't? :)

Call me crazy, but I'd really like to see better quality and/or expanded releases of Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction as well. Two slightly dated but excellent and HUGELY under-appreciated scores.

You're crazy, pixie_twinkle, but I for one agree with you. I have a particular fondness for both those scores and films that defies logic. Given that both are Universal pictures, expanded releases strike me as being more likely now that other Williams Universal scores (e.g. Family Plot, Midway) have started to see the light of day in the last couple of years. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if, as we speak, one of the labels were shamelessly plagiarising our ill-conceived observations on both scores from this august website with a view to imminent releases on 'shaving mirror' and without so much as a by your leave!

:pfft:

Only the LPs of How To Steal A Million, Jaws, and The Fury were total re-recordings recorded at a later date than the original film sessions

Behave, Jason! The LP albums for both Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction are re-recordings too, although I do not know how soon after the film scores were recorded.

The LP albums for both Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction are re-recordings too, although I do not know how soon after the film scores were recorded.

Of course! Don't know how they slipped my mind! Probably because I don't own them and have never seen the movies :P

Whoa, I didn't know those were re-recordings. I haven't listened to them much...What a bad Williams fan I am!

E.T. is a mess. There are so many variations of cues and concert suites. My playlist for that is long and I've had to use tracks from the 20th anniversary, the original album and the isolated DVD rips (which have gotten good in recent years).

I voted Jurassic Park because it seems like something that would be right up La-La Land's alley. They seem especially dedicated to the 90's and I know they're fans like us and they want projects that we have long awaited. The Lost World would sell, I think, but you can never tell with our community. Heck if even a dozen of us are unemployed every soundtrack label's profits dip.

I wouldn't mind Williams sanctioned expansions either. Jurassic Park is one of Williams' best album arrangements. If he gives me the rest of the music, I don't care how he Frankensteins it together.

I honestly think Dracula would be the next JW release and I love that score, but according to Jason, and his ever mysterious hints,I guess we should be expecting something else entirely :)

The LP albums for both Earthquake and The Eiger Sanction are re-recordings too, although I do not know how soon after the film scores were recorded.

Of course! Don't know how they slipped my mind! Probably because I don't own them and have never seen the movies :P

do you actually own any JW scores beside hook? Jason are you the living embodiment of Ian Malcolms comments about dinosaurs on the dinosaur tour? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Witches of Eastwick

I actually wouldn't mind a complete legit Eastwick

Love that score. Its just so much damn fun...

Yes. That pretty much sums up my sentiments about that score. Complete score, the about 60 minutes, plus possible alternates would even fit 1 disc. :)

WITCHES OF EASTWICK is great as it is, the remaining minutes just drag it. THE EIGER SANCTION, on the other hand, would be something. Sweeping 70's thrillers are much more mondo than the usual pompous fanfares.

the 60's comedy score are irrelevant. they are not part of the essentials.

I personally would love a complete/expanded Sabrina, since I have always felt a special connection to that movie.

I know that I am pretty alone with that wish and that it'll never happen, cause I doubt that any label would take that risk - also there is not THAT much missing.

Only a few variations of the main themes and some cool Dance-Orchestra source music arranged by Williams