What's the Next Williams Expanded Release?

King Mark

Next Expanded JW Release  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The Next Williams Expanded Release

• Harry Potter Box Set
    • Dracula
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World
    • Jurassic Park/The Lost World Combo
    • Star Wars Prequels
    • A 60's comedy score
    • Other...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=88047&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=462#bottom

1. Do we have more Goldsmith and Williams in the works?

YES

2. Is Star Wars, Indy or JP series coming from LLL?

NO, nothing planned at this time (but that doesn't mean I would sell my first born to release those gems) wink.gif

MV

I'd expect Universal will re-release the original JP album next year to tie in with the film's 3d re-release. I wouldn't expect an expansion though. But maybe Spielberg will push for it after seeing the job that was done on Hook.

Hmm... a bit disheartening. But not entirely unexpected. I'm glad they were outfront about it, though. Honestly, I think I said this before, I have a strange feeling Intrada would be the ones to release Jurassic Park given their successful work with the Back to the Future release. Just a thought. Could even very well be this year. Didn't they say they had big surprises in store from virtually EVERY major studio?

Hmm... a bit disheartening. But not entirely unexpected. I'm glad they were outfront about it, though. Honestly, I think I said this before, I have a strange feeling Intrada would be the ones to release Jurassic Park given their successful work with the Back to the Future release. Just a thought. Could even very well be this year. Didn't they say they had big surprises in store from virtually EVERY major studio?

JP would not be a surprise IMO - it seems to be one of the most wanted Williams releases right now.

Excellent, good to see they can concentrate on something else.

So you're not desperate for JP then...

Is there any reason for being 'desperate' about a score which has a whopper of an album in print since almost 20 years? There are just more worthwile projects to get off the ground which don't have great-sounding 70 minute releases...

Is there any reason for being 'desperate' about a score which has a whopper of an album in print since almost 20 years? There are just more worthwile projects to get off the ground which don't have great-sounding 70 minute releases...

there is so many straight (and literally straight) re-releases that, yes i hope JP complete is released instead of one of those...again.

NO, nothing planned at this time (but that doesn't mean I would sell my first born to release those gems) wink.gif

MV

he wanted to say 'i wouldn't sell my first born', didnt he? Otherwise...he is saying those scores are very looooow on his 'to do' list.

there is so many straight (and literally straight) re-releases that, yes i hope JP complete is released instead of one of those...again.

Scratch them, too, and rescue the needy first.

The Lost World would be a far more interesting release, given the plethora of alternates and unused cues.

The liner notes for that film would be very interesting.

I didn't mean 'desperate' in that sense... figure of speech.

te]

MV

he wanted to say 'i wouldn't sell my first born', didnt he? Otherwise...he is saying those scores are very looooow on his 'to do' list.

Yes I am sure he meant that

The Lost World would be a far more interesting release, given the plethora of alternates and unused cues.

The Lost World has NO alternates

While waiting for the official release you could always read this analysis of the score ;)

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=20325

I know, I know it is shameless self promotion but if K.K. can do it so can I. :P

They have pretty much deflated hopes for JP or TLW then. I say bring on Dracula! It really needs a proper release with better sound.

While waiting for the official release you could always read this analysis of the score ;)

Wow, fantastic analysis Incanus. I must confess that The Lost World is not one of those JW scores I paid very much attention to, so your analysis was really enlightening.

I know, I know it is shameless self promotion but if K.K. can do it so can I. :P

Alright now you have me all embarrassed you old bat! I guess I do do a lot of shameless self promotion on these forums, I apologize for that then. But the idea is whenever I have something to say about a score, why write a few inadequate, barely sufficient sentences on the matter when I already have a long review with my thoughts already set up? ;) Saves time.

But again, hopefully I'm not too much of a nuisance :)

They have pretty much deflated hopes for JP or TLW then. I say bring on Dracula! It really needs a proper release with better sound.

Aye, I seriously doubt we're getting JP or TLW. But I would love a release for Dracula. That would be fantastic.

Wow, fantastic analysis Incanus. I must confess that The Lost World is not one of those JW scores I paid very much attention to, so your analysis was really enlightening.

Thank you. I am glad that you liked it. It is a score I hope people would appreciate more since it is a unique and different score from the Maestro. Also there are a few more in the Reviews section from me. Short ones for Memoirs of a Geisha and the Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and Orchestra and full length one for A.I.. ;)

Alright now you have me all embarrassed you old bat! I guess I do do a lot of shameless self promotion on these forums, I apologize for that then. But the idea is whenever I have something to say about a score, why write a few inadequate, barely sufficient sentences on the matter when I already have a long review with my thoughts already set up? ;) Saves time.

Well I meant my above comment as a good natured jest of course. :) Your analyses and reviews are much appreciated and very well written!

But it is John Williams' 80th anniversary so labels might put something interesting together this year. I bet Varese has something up its sleeve and am hoping Intrada might release some music from the Maestro as well.

DRACULA needs the love.

Apart from that, there are the other 70's MCA titles (EIGER SANCTION, EARTHQUAKE) and maybe THE COWBOYS and that's it (if you're not an obsessive Thor-like collector). Apart from that, only POTTER and the new STAR WAR'ses have substantial amounts of unreleased stuff which actually deserves a grand new release (neither JP nor TLW really need it). I find the rest is barrel-scraping.

I need

-Dracula, to see what all the talk is about :)

-The Jurassics, some of my very favourite works by JW.

-E.T.. It's E.T. and I'm not in the mood of doing editing myself. Another of my very necessary scores.

-Close Encounters. Same thing.

-Indy. Need it. All three. Now. I'm screwed, I guess.

-The Phantom Menace. I like the sound of it.

-Jane Eyre. With everything plus the suite. Pleeeease.

-And much more! Potter, Schidler, Empire of the Sun, Geisha, A.I.... :(

Edit: and I'm thinking on more and more...

Thank you. I am glad that you liked it. It is a score I hope people would appreciate more since it is a unique and different score from the Maestro. Also there are a few more in the Reviews section from me. Short ones for Memoirs of a Geisha and the Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and Orchestra and full length one for A.I.. ;)

I've read a couple of your reviews and have always loved them. Its hard to find such depth in reviews these days. Among the ones you just listed, I've read the A.I. one, I'll check the short ones for Memoirs a Geisha soon. ;)

Well I meant my above comment as a good natured jest of course. :) Your analyses and reviews are much appreciated and very well written!

Thanks, and I know it was in simple jest.

But it is John Williams' 80th anniversary so labels might put something interesting together this year. I bet Varese has something up its sleeve and am hoping Intrada might release some music from the Maestro as well.

I sure hope so. Hook came out with good timing for the year. But I'm pretty certain we won't be getting JP or TLW, both scores already have a solid sufficient release. I'm crossing my fingers for Dracula, and the Witches of Eastwick would be nice too.

WTF?!

Lost world probably has an 1/2 hour or more of unreleased music from the film and more unused music we have never heard of!

Yeah, and the world still spins if it stays that way.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is still the number one Williams score (and overall film score probably, sharing the spot with LOTR) for me. That would be awesome.

A work of genius from the first note to the very last.